Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 15th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #1
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek
Default Ulcers

(I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in OCD, but eh)

Alright, so I have a few BRFBs (Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors)

Trichotillomania (hair-pulling disorder), as well as excessive nail-biting are some of these (I have mild problems with both), as can be "skin picking" (which I have a severe problem with.)

Another, the one I am discussing here is the biting of the inside of one's mouth as a nervous habit. Sometimes, it causes ulcers. (I actually have a mild one, but it's almost gone yay)

I know this is somewhat common among those with anxiety- especially severe anxiety, GAD, OCD, etc.

I want to know a few things.

-What generally starts them for you? (What brings them on?)
-Is it isolated, or does it tend to be an ongoing, everyday occurrence?
-What do you do to stop biting?
-Is the biting usually unintentional, or is it more like a compulsion?

For me, it's usually subconscious. Boredom. Or extreme agitation.
It's something between isolated and constant- I'll have periods of time when I'll do it daily, and then I'll stop for months. Unless my anxiety is just through the roof or something.
I usually have to eat or distract myself to stop, and even that doesn't always work.
It's usually unintentional until an ulcer appears, or something. Then it's like an itch.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Ben_Frost
Member++

Ben_Frost's Forum Picture

Name: Benjamin
Default Re: Ulcers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
(I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in OCD, but eh)

Alright, so I have a few BRFBs (Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors)

Trichotillomania (hair-pulling disorder), as well as excessive nail-biting are some of these (I have mild problems with both), as can be "skin picking" (which I have a severe problem with.)

Another, the one I am discussing here is the biting of the inside of one's mouth as a nervous habit. Sometimes, it causes ulcers. (I actually have a mild one, but it's almost gone yay)

I know this is somewhat common among those with anxiety- especially severe anxiety, GAD, OCD, etc.

I want to know a few things.

-What generally starts them for you? (What brings them on?)
-Is it isolated, or does it tend to be an ongoing, everyday occurrence?
-What do you do to stop biting?
-Is the biting usually unintentional, or is it more like a compulsion?

For me, it's usually subconscious. Boredom. Or extreme agitation.
It's something between isolated and constant- I'll have periods of time when I'll do it daily, and then I'll stop for months. Unless my anxiety is just through the roof or something.
I usually have to eat or distract myself to stop, and even that doesn't always work.
It's usually unintentional until an ulcer appears, or something. Then it's like an itch.
OCD is known for having obsessions and compulsions, I think this problem you're having is resulting from a compulsion. Compulsions happen when you get stuck with a patter of behavior you just have to do otherwise anxiety will keep building up inside of you. This could be the reason you're getting those ulcers and the urge to bite inside your mouth, it's just a compulsive behavior that needs control.
Depending on how your OCD manifests, it could be an isolated incident or a repetitive behavior that will bother you until you take medication for it.
From what I've seen my mom do (she's OCD too) she mostly focuses her mind on other tasks and channels her compulsions in making those tasks to perfection. I've also read a psychiatrist could help you prescribing medication for the anxiety these compulsions and obsessions cause, and there is also the behavioral therapy before considering medication.
I hope I helped.

I should have known it was all a lie...

To another reality.
Ben_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek
Default Re: Ulcers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Frost View Post
OCD is known for having obsessions and compulsions, I think this problem you're having is resulting from a compulsion. Compulsions happen when you get stuck with a patter of behavior you just have to do otherwise anxiety will keep building up inside of you. This could be the reason you're getting those ulcers and the urge to bite inside your mouth, it's just a compulsive behavior that needs control.
Depending on how your OCD manifests, it could be an isolated incident or a repetitive behavior that will bother you until you take medication for it.
From what I've seen my mom do (she's OCD too) she mostly focuses her mind on other tasks and channels her compulsions in making those tasks to perfection. I've also read a psychiatrist could help you prescribing medication for the anxiety these compulsions and obsessions cause, and there is also the behavioral therapy before considering medication.
I hope I helped.
I actually wasn't looking so much for help as I was for the experiences of others, but thanks all the same

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote