Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 8th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #1
GregM

GregM's Forum Picture

Name: Greg
Default How to Help a Friend with Anxiety?

So, my friend is fifteen. She's my best friend, and she really means a lot to me because she helped me through a lot.

Recently, she's been having really bad anxiety, which she's always struggled with. She has a lot of panic attacks and such, and I'm really not sure how to help. I'm afraid that if I take the wrong approach, I'll only make the problem worse.

Help?

Gay | Fixing my issues | Fighter
GregM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #2
ImCoolBeans
Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike
Default Re: How to Help a Friend with Anxiety?

You should offer her your support and let her know that you're there for her as a friend. Showing support and being nonjudgemental will give her a lot of comfort, but unfortunately there isn't a lot that can be done to help out a friend who is having anxiety. The best thing you can do is to keep her mind on other, more positive things, and being a good friend to her.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #3
ksdnfkfr
Banned

What Mike said.

For me when am having a panic attack it's like when I'm really nauseous, don't want anybody talking to me or touching me. A glass of ice cold water helps me though.
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie

I have really bad anxiety, and I knew I would have friends here and there that would get really mad at me for freaking out over little things that made no sense. All you need to do is be there for her, comfort her when she has panic attacks, make sure to have it in your head things won't always go as planned because of those attacks.

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 05:53 AM   #5
Body odah Man
VT Lover

Body odah Man's Forum Picture

Girl I care for has the same problem. Thanks, you guys, for posting some possible solutions.

Just a chilling teen that hates baths, collects Yugioh cards and loves Runescape
Body odah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #6
CosmicNoodle
Resident Twat

CosmicNoodle's Forum Picture

Name: Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
You should offer her your support and let her know that you're there for her as a friend. Showing support and being nonjudgemental will give her a lot of comfort, but unfortunately there isn't a lot that can be done to help out a friend who is having anxiety. The best thing you can do is to keep her mind on other, more positive things, and being a good friend to her.
Yep, you can't do much appart from just be there.

My names Joe, but you can call me "Lord and master of all space and time"
I'm Bisexual, deal with it
Ask me shit

~Mike was here~
CosmicNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #7
slopestyle
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I have really bad anxiety, and I knew I would have friends here and there that would get really mad at me for freaking out over little things that made no sense. All you need to do is be there for her, comfort her when she has panic attacks, make sure to have it in your head things won't always go as planned because of those attacks.
Both of these ^^^

Just be as supportive and understanding and positive as possible when her anxiety is bad or panic attacks strike. Let her know everything is going to be ok, and reassure her that nothing is going to happen. Hold her hand(s), hug her, walk with her, talk to her, anything of this sort. Understand how incredibly difficult it will most likely be for her to calm down and for the length of time it could take- it could be a few minutes or an hour or more. Any positive mental distractions you can give her should help. Having someone who understands what you're going through or is at least very supportive of your anxiety issues is a such a tremendous help for those who suffer from it. Your concern and willingness to help your friend is awesome and I commend you for that
slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote