Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 28th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Dacer

Dacer's Forum Picture

Name: Dacer
Unhappy Do I have a "food problem"?

I'm pretty overweight (okay, so a lot overweight), and it kinda bothers me. Only a bit though, not enough to make me give up food or dedicate my life to exercise. But it bothers me enough to know that I AM fat, and that I'm not beautiful because of it. And I want to be pretty, I really do.

But the thing is, I really like food. Food makes me really, really happy, and I feel like nothing in the world makes me as happy as good food does. And I'm just always hungry. All the time. I just want to eat every minute of the day, and when I'm upset or just feel like depression is going to swallow me up, I lose myself in food because I love food and it makes me happy.

The other day I was watching TV, and my mum started quizzing me about food. Stuff like "don't you want to be healthy" and "don't you feel fat" and "you don't want to end up like me, do you?" (My mum is really, really overweight). She asked me if I eat for attention and I said no, I eat because I like food.

Then she told me that she thinks I have a "food problem", like deep psychological issues when it comes to food, and that it's not healthy. At first I denied it like hell, but it really upset me and all I wanted to do was go get something to eat. Later when I was hanging around the kitchen cupboards, I realised that she might be right. Maybe I do have a food problem.

I think maybe I do use food as a comfort blanket, and maybe I do have issues with stopping. I have been telling everyone for about four years that I don't have a problem, that I could stop whenever I wanted, but I just didn't want to.

But what if I do have a food problem? Do I? What should I do? Please help me.
Dacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek
Default Re: Do I have a "food problem"?

Sounds like you could have an emotional eating problem. I do as well. My mood actually tends to affect my eating patterns drastically. (From binging, to fasting, to forgetting to eat, to comfort eating)

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #3
TheN3rdyOutcast
Awesome Poster

Name: Willis

To an extent, I have the same situation.
TheN3rdyOutcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Remora
Awesome Poster

Remora's Forum Picture

Name: Simon

I believe you do- although it wouldn't be a problem, everyone has it and consuming food relieves stress and is associated with happy feelings- "i'm eating! w00t!'. I mean, i do at least.

who needs a signature with a name like this
Remora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Dacer

Dacer's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
Sounds like you could have an emotional eating problem. I do as well. My mood actually tends to affect my eating patterns drastically. (From binging, to fasting, to forgetting to eat, to comfort eating)
If I did have an emotional eating problem, how would I stop having an emotional eating problem? I feel like its getting pretty serious and is starting to really affect my life.
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Dacer

Dacer's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyguy710 View Post
To an extent, I have the same situation.
How do you deal with it? Do you have any advise on what I could do?
Old June 28th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Dacer

Dacer's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floof View Post
I believe you do- although it wouldn't be a problem, everyone has it and consuming food relieves stress and is associated with happy feelings- "i'm eating! w00t!'. I mean, i do at least.
But it really is a problem. I think I need to stop, but I don't know how, or wether I'm even allowed to count this as a real problem or not. It's like I don't want to be like this anymore, but my body physically won't let me, which is Stuidio because its all in my head, but it really is a problem, wether its a psychological one or not.
Old June 28th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Remora
Awesome Poster

Remora's Forum Picture

Name: Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacer View Post
But it really is a problem. I think I need to stop, but I don't know how, or wether I'm even allowed to count this as a real problem or not. It's like I don't want to be like this anymore, but my body physically won't let me, which is Stuidio because its all in my head, but it really is a problem, wether its a psychological one or not.
I feel really unsure about my body and am socially awkward about everything aswell as beeing ignorant and antisocial, but i'm not overweight. Like, *technically* i'm not, according to the body mass index? Anyways, i exercise alot too (fitness, badminton, running, cycling) aswell as having the previously mentioned consumption conspiracies and they seem to balance out pretty well alongside with me growing. I hate to blame me 160 pounds on.. anything, really, but it's my bowels, my mother told me it was her genes
that made me gain weight fairly quickly.

I'm really afraid to go on a diet too, i don't want to miss out on potential limb growth :c

who needs a signature with a name like this
Remora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floof View Post
Thing is, even if you don't see it as a problem, eating food to relieve stress IS a problem. It's an unhealthy coping mechanism, like rewarding yourself with food. I mean, every once in a while, it's ok, but as a habit, it can lead to TERRIBLE food hygiene at best. (Could lead to binging, binging and fasting [like what I do] or binging and purging [which I do to some extent as well, apparently] if you don't manage it.)

I mean, I associated alcohol with "happy feelings" at one point in time, but that lead to me becoming an alcoholic.

Quote:
It is a real problem, hun. Don't beat yourself up over it thinking it doesn't matter when it does. I mean, yes, it is psychological, but psychological problems are JUST as valid and significant as physical ones.

Quote:
If I did have an emotional eating problem, how would I stop having an emotional eating problem? I feel like its getting pretty serious and is starting to really affect my life.
Er, my best advice to you would be to search "emotional eating support" in Google, and therapy. Honestly? I haven't even sought out help for myself because I have problems that (for me personally) need more attention, so I'm as clueless as you are, sorry.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #10
JamesSuperBoy
Awesome Poster

JamesSuperBoy's Forum Picture

Name: ^*~James~*^

Not real sure on the problem bit - think your Mum was out of order really. anyways Thin does not equal beauty -
JamesSuperBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:58 PM   #11
ANBCHP123

Name: Amber Blackwell

Best advice to you-- find a hobby. Investing time into something you love will give you the confidence you need to do anything in this life. When you are truly confident in something on your own-- nothing else matters.
ANBCHP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:33 PM   #12
DanielKalet
Banned

Name: 123456

Hello there every one,
although it is a touch awkward to share, I am seriously seeking a means to get rid of fast ejaculation worries and enhance durability and overall performance.
Any specific hints any one?

Hi there everybody,
regardless of the fact it is a little shaming to share, I am very much hoping for a solution to eliminate p . e concerns and strengthen lasting power and sexual performance.
Any specific techniques anyone?

Last edited by azure moonstone; July 2nd, 2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: botty bot bot
DanielKalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:20 AM   #13
beverley

Name: banjin

wow that was really informative thread
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #14
GoGoDiego
Member+

GoGoDiego's Forum Picture

Name: Diego

Runs in the genes. No food problem.
GoGoDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #15
Jacob G.
Member++

Name: Jacob

Well I think you do have a problem because you find enjoyment from food. Most people do find some enjoyment, but maybe you find a lot more enjoyment then you should. I don't find enjoyment from food anymore, but that's just me. So test out different levels of calories and find one where you either lose a little bit of weight or don't lose any. Food addiction is kind of a gradual process to stray from. I don't know if you should lose weight since your still growing and APPARENTLY your not supposed to lose any weight while your growing. I don't know if I believe that. If you lose weight then that means your calorie intake is going lower then a steady rate where you don't lose or gain and if you go below a steady rate your growth will be stunted. At least that's what an online article told me. I think it's bs, but I'm too afraid to not follow it, so I guess I'll be fat with you for the rest of my growing period! So yeah, just resist the temptations of food. Resisting temptations makes you a strong person and will really help you in life from getting into addictions. It may be hard at first, so you might reach for a piece of cake when you shouldn't be eating anymore for that day, a good thing to do would just simply throwing the piece of cake right in the garbage. It may be a waste, but it'll help you. Don't let your mom see, she might freak out if she sees you wasting food.
Jacob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #16
Gottaloveaginger14

Name: Cori

Finally somebody post about binge eating disorder which is what I have (it's bulimia without the purging essentially) just like you I tend to turn to food for comfort. The best thing to do is to find something positive to replace food with. My replacement is music, either listening to it or playing music. And most importantly I want to stress that YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, you may not be society's definition of beauty and your beauty will shine through even more when you start to take care of yourself and your body.

www.thebrokenandthebeautiful.wordpress.com
check out my blog yall!
I love you guys so pm me any time because I'd love to chat <3
kisses
-C
Gottaloveaginger14 is offline   Reply With Quote