Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [2]

Old June 28th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #1
lumiadots

lumiadots's Forum Picture

Name: Alexa
Default ways to cope with anxiety attacks~

i've often struggled with anxiety in the past, and i still do. i decided to create a comprehensive list of ways to help deal with anxiety or panic attacks. i really hope at least something on this list helps you. (:

1. Practice deep breathing.
It helps to take in 4 seconds of air and hold it in for about 2-3 seconds. Let it all out in 4 seconds. This is good for slowing down your breathing and for short-breathing where you might be feeling as if you're losing oxygen.

If you're at home and can't seem to stop the hyperventilation, place a paper bag over your mouth and breathe in and out as slow as you can. Do all of this until you feel a difference in your muscles and clarity of thought. If you're at school, then ask to go to the washroom and do so your shirt or a bag you brought from home.

2. Use rational diversions.
If you have fear on your mind, or anything that's triggering the anxiety attack, I suggest either try thinking of what you might do on the weekend with your friends, day dreaming, etc. If you that doesn't seem to work for you, you can try to cound down or up to 100. If you think of those things in the middle, restart or continue to count. You can also sing your favourite song in your head, or recite your favourite poems or quotes. Anything can help! Use your imagination, but try to stay away from the thoughts that are causing this.

3. Muscle relaxation practice.
If you tend to tense up and sweat a lot, try to tense up really hard for 10 seconds and then loosen up for 10 seconds. This will relax your muscles over time and also takes your concentration to what you're doing. It also helps to own a stress ball if you're at school and don't really want to look constipated in front of the whole class.

4. Sort out your anxiety; get down to the problem.
You may want to go sort out what you need to about what you're having anxiety about. It might be something that can be talked out or fixed. It helps to talk to a teacher about your anxiety early so you don't have to be expected to go do public speeches all over the world. Once that problem is fixed, generally, I'd hope, you'd begin to feel better and more relaxed.

5. Write out your feelings.
It actually helps to scribble key words all over a paper, sometimes in different colours, or at school, highlighters if you got any. If you know the teacher will catch you doing this, or if you're afraid people will see, try writing in another language or make it up on the spot! Scribbling really hard on a page, repeatedly also helps. Keeping a journal is always good, and make sure to not keep it in! Talk to your friends, and get them to comfort you. You'll generally feel yourself calm down over time when they hug you over and over.

Additional Ways
- rip paper up
- break pencils/pens
- deep breaths
- scribbling on paper
- clenching your teeth
- day dreaming
- drinking drinks
- listening to music and singing in your head
- solving the issue
- talking to someone
- trying to sleep
- taking a hot bath with epsom salts
- being alone
- typing
- brushing your hair
- clenching and unclenching your toes and fists
- cuddling your cat/dog/pet
- trying to get out of the situation that's making you feel like this
- thinking happy thoughts
- thinking 'i'm strong and it'll be over soon'
lumiadots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Caligari

Name: Tom
Default Re: ways to cope with anxiety attacks~

I should try these, thanks for the tips.
It won't replace my Xanax, but it can't hurt.
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #3
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike
Default Re: ways to cope with anxiety attacks~

Great tips! These can be very helpful when experiencing anxiety. I don't take any anxiety medication, and I use many of these methods to cope with it.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote