Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 18th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #1
Celtics

Default Dyslexia to Bipolar

I know I'm bipolar I don't need a doctor telling me that I am. I had extreme dyslexia when I was young. No one knew if I was going to talk and when I did not one person could understand me. I finally can talk "normal" now with some mess ups here and there. But this is the only thing that I can think of, I never thought I had bipolar until I looked up the symptoms and like 95% them I go through. How do you get through life keeping it a secret if you do..... I'm afraid of myself at times, I feel like killing myself would be the best route. I also suffer short term memory loss now and its getting worse I'm pretty sure. For example, Just looked how long the song was I'm listening to and forgot it in about 3 minutes. (not the best example but it explains it I guess I dont know)
Celtics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek
Default Re: Dyslexia to Bipolar

For one thing, self-diagnosis when it comes to mental illness is kind of a slippery slope. When I was 13 or so, I thought I was schizophrenic. I'm not, I'm bipolar- both schizophrenics and bipolar people experience mania (depending on what level of either you have), and can mimic each other at times. In fact, I was a hypochondriac, thinking I had EVERY mental illness (which, I ended up having a lot of them, to be fair, but not even close to all the ones I THOUGHT.)

I'd also like to point out that dyslexia has more to do with reading than speaking- it can SOMETIMES affect speech, but it's fairly rare from what I gather. Difficulty speaking/being understood at a young age points more to a hearing disorder, maybe autism. I'm not trying to discredit you if you do have dyslexia, I'm just pointing that out, due to your clear tendency to self-diagnose.

Honestly, it's a stupid idea to get through life keeping it entirely secret if you are bipolar. You don't have to let everyone in the world know, but you at least have to confide in a mental health professional or doctor of some sort, so they can help you- bipolar people NEED to be medicated. I frankly don't trust the people who say that those with bipolar only need therapy, because for one thing, they have no idea what it's like, and for another, they usually have an agenda. They don't advocate therapy for bipolar persons because it'd help the bipolar people- they have a beef with big pharma, or they're well-meaning naturopaths who maybe don't know much about psychology, or they're parents who have no idea what they're talking about to begin with.

Suicide isn't the answer- frankly, killing yourself is not the best route. It is not a route, it is not an option. It's ok to feel suicidal- you are not a bad person for having thoughts of suicide, but going through with them is a selfish and stupid thing to do. Not to mention that feeling suicidal doesn't actually seem to be your problem here.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote