Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #1
irish iris

Post How do you live with OCD?

Hi! I'm a new member and I was recently diagnosed with OCD, Depression and severe general anxiety disorder. I am just wondering how everyone lives day to day, I'm all over the place.
irish iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Serenity
Banned

Name: Valerie
Default Re: How do you live with OCD?

For future reference, please make your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's.
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #3
netgurl

hey there iris.
I was diagnosed, with OCD and mild Depression about three months ago , when i first found out i found it really hard to accpet, and i suppose i still do to an extent.
CBT( Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor Medications (SSRIs) are seen to be very effective in treating OCD.

The following information I got information of a website(in which im not able to send the link im afraid) but if you google OCDuk you will find it, you might also want to check out their forum, the site is really helpful as it has a wealth of knowlege:

"Medication is not recommended as a sole treatment method. It will sometimes work by reducing the severity of the obsessive-compulsive symptoms, or by ‘taking the edge off’ some of the anxiety precipitated by OCD, but CBT should always be the principal method of treatment. Medication can always be introduced alongside CBT to act as ‘water wings’, to ease the anxiety and make the CBT that little bit easier to face."

Anti-depressents have had alot of cotraversey of late, i am on the SSRI Citalopram 30mg and it has been quite a help...although its still early days. Medication is very trial and error, in seeing what dosage and type of medication works for you. Some people may have side-effects such as nausea, dry mouth, constapation etc but i am lucky that i have had none.

Keeping busy doing things i enjoy, really helps as the obsessions seem to take abit of a "backseat". Some times it can be really hard to get the motivation to actually want to get better, esspecially if you have depression, but its really important to take steps to fight these ideas.

OCD is a vicous cycle, i think alot of people think irrational thoughts at times, but with OCD they just repeat and repeat causing alot of anxiety and also maybe frustration and guilt.

sorry for all my rambling . I hope was somehow helpful to ya. Please Take care. And if you have any troubles, or questions just let me know.

Lirelle
netgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM   #4
rawrr.

rawrr.'s Forum Picture

I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder when i was 12. T_T It was hard, well, it still is, three years later. I used to take medications but it triggered a bunch of anger issues and stuff so my mom decided to stop it.

Honestly, I could do better without any medications. Having OCD isn't something desirable but since chances of completely kicking it out of your system, is like 0.1, i just try to laugh it away. Sure people make fun of you when you sit for a few hours trying to arrange your pencil holder so the pens align the way you want them, but over all it not too bad. [K, for me.]

I just think there's people out there that has something way worse than what I got. And I'm thinking, I didn't really help with this post. I'm sorry. -.-

Be Optimistic.
All the people you hate are eventually going to die;

Last edited by rawrr.; March 2nd, 2008 at 02:35 PM.
rawrr. is offline   Reply With Quote