Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 26th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Hallie

Name: Hallie
Default How do you deal with a panic attack?

I get them all the time. I'll shake and tremble and i'll feel like I can't breathe. It's horrible. Is there anything I can do to make it less horrible without having to wait it out?
Hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #2
ksdnfkfr
Banned

Default Re: How do you deal with a panic attack?

not really anything i can think of outside of popping med like benzodiazepine for severe ones. drinking ice cold water seems to help some. outside of that it's just a lot of deep breathing and walking/pacing. i had some pretty bad ones last month or so
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 05:15 AM   #3
Sirgarett

Sirgarett's Forum Picture

Name: Jent

I think the best way to combat a panic attack is to be calm and in order to do so, you can maybe try reciting the Alphabet backwards.

"I Go To Seek A Great Perhaps"
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/signaturepics/sigpic105044_1.gif
Sirgarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #4
DeadEyes
Banned

Sit down and breathe.
DeadEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #5
TheLoneWolf
Member+

TheLoneWolf's Forum Picture

Sit down, hold my breath for 30 seconds, breathe again like I'm dying and so it continues...
I don't know how to stop it...

http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/signaturepics/sigpic105382_4.gif

Fairy tales don't tell children dragons exist, children already know dragons are real, fairy tales tell childeren that dragons can be killed.
~G. K. Chesterton
TheLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #6
KieranRules

KieranRules's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallie View Post
I get them all the time. I'll shake and tremble and i'll feel like I can't breathe. It's horrible. Is there anything I can do to make it less horrible without having to wait it out?
When I got over have panic attacks I always used to go outside listen to the birds and watch the cars go by and forget about all the problems in the world. The main thing to do really is to trick yourself into thinking you're not having a panic attack.

In the worst cases however, grab some biscuits and water, go outside, breath 3 seconds in and 3 seconds out while eating and drinking. This will make your brain focus on too many things at once as it will be studying the outside environment, concentrate on your breathing and dealing with food and drink as well. This doesn't always work straight away but it will help your heart rate go down to normal but you may still be in a bit oh shock or unsteadiness.

I hope this helps!

Gay Super Giant Rockstar...
...And I Like Kittens.
KieranRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #7
Lost in the Echo
mofo

Lost in the Echo's Forum Picture

Name: Bo

Yeah, basically just calm yourself down. Take deep breaths, and keep your mind off of stressful things. It's simple, but it really does work.
Lost in the Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Höek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranRules View Post
When I got over have panic attacks I always used to go outside listen to the birds and watch the cars go by and forget about all the problems in the world. The main thing to do really is to trick yourself into thinking you're not having a panic attack.

In the worst cases however, grab some biscuits and water, go outside, breath 3 seconds in and 3 seconds out while eating and drinking. This will make your brain focus on too many things at once as it will be studying the outside environment, concentrate on your breathing and dealing with food and drink as well. This doesn't always work straight away but it will help your heart rate go down to normal but you may still be in a bit oh shock or unsteadiness.

I hope this helps!
Best advice so far. The key part is in bold- the trick is to distract yourself.

As my old therapist said, a panic attack is basically an adrenaline rush in the absence of something that should actually cause an adrenaline rush.

In other words, anxiety. The future can't hurt you technically speaking, but panic attacks are its way of trying to. But the thing is, you're not in the future, where the anxiety is coming from. You're in the present. The trick is to stay in the present. Suddenly, you're not in the future, the anxiety goes away.

What has been suggested to me is to feel the sensations of my body just existing, basically. Focus on what exists NOW. Focus on where my feet are, what they are touching, focus on my breath, focus on the painting on the wall, etc.

I mean, inevitably, you'll have the times your brain will get a case of the dumbs, or that your panic attack will be too strong for it to work, but you just have to tell yourself you'll get through it. (I know that's a bit ironic, but isn't focusing on a positive future event more productive than focusing on a negative one?)

Edit: Would also like to add that the "calm yourself down" advice is kind of bad, and pretty insulting- you can't. It's not that easy. If it were that easy, no one would give two shits about panic disorder, etc.

Sure, calming down is the GOAL, but it isn't exactly one of the steps. You can't fly on the plane if you're not at the airport- you can't use the mode of transportation you're trying to get to to get to the mode of transportation you're trying to get to. It isn't possible, logically speaking.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here

Last edited by Karkat; June 12th, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #9
fitnessfun

Name: Kari

I breathe in for 5 seconds and then hold my breath before letting it out. I do this over and over until I feel calm
fitnessfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #10
bob97
Member+

Name: Caelen

I do the deep breathing stuff like everybody else says. But I still feel lingering effects of it for a while after(heart being funny, dizzy, stuff like that). I try to go out and play basketball or work out and that helps alot.
bob97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #11
Ben_Frost
Member++

Ben_Frost's Forum Picture

Name: Benjamin

Sit down, breathe, snap my fingers, or look something to tap on, or I go to play a game.

I should have known it was all a lie...

To another reality.
Ben_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #12
Cognizant
Smoothie King

Cognizant's Forum Picture

Name: Patrick

This isn't the most happy solution to a problem, but if it's late out and I can't go out I just force myself to cry.

Otherwise I'll talk to someone, shoot photos, play the sims, jerk off, or do anything to get my mind off of what's making me freak out. I've been known to randomly start cleaning the kitchen when I'm trying to get my mind off things.
Cognizant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #13
KieranRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
Best advice so far. The key part is in bold- the trick is to distract yourself.

As my old therapist said, a panic attack is basically an adrenaline rush in the absence of something that should actually cause an adrenaline rush.

In other words, anxiety. The future can't hurt you technically speaking, but panic attacks are its way of trying to. But the thing is, you're not in the future, where the anxiety is coming from. You're in the present. The trick is to stay in the present. Suddenly, you're not in the future, the anxiety goes away.

What has been suggested to me is to feel the sensations of my body just existing, basically. Focus on what exists NOW. Focus on where my feet are, what they are touching, focus on my breath, focus on the painting on the wall, etc.

I mean, inevitably, you'll have the times your brain will get a case of the dumbs, or that your panic attack will be too strong for it to work, but you just have to tell yourself you'll get through it. (I know that's a bit ironic, but isn't focusing on a positive future event more productive than focusing on a negative one?)

Edit: Would also like to add that the "calm yourself down" advice is kind of bad, and pretty insulting- you can't. It's not that easy. If it were that easy, no one would give two shits about panic disorder, etc.

Sure, calming down is the GOAL, but it isn't exactly one of the steps. You can't fly on the plane if you're not at the airport- you can't use the mode of transportation you're trying to get to to get to the mode of transportation you're trying to get to. It isn't possible, logically speaking.
Yep, when I mention about calming down btw I'm not saying: "oh you have to calm down, it's so simple". In fact I am aware that it is the hardest part but I wouldn't call it a goal, depending on the panic attack you're having. In the case of a physical adrenaline rush or heart rate increase it is certainly not the goal but instead a step as the aim is to reduce the strain on the heart and lungs, in the future making heart attacks less likely and reducing any other related problems. It is hard, very hard but just like becoming hyperactive, you can stop it and the only way to do that is to slow down and 'relax' as such. Again, I know it is hard to do that also but it is what you have to do.

If it's more mental: Do as you said above

If it's more physical: sit down, eat a biscuit and forget about it in the mean time, of which I generalised as 'calming down'

Sorry that I may have insulted you or anyone else by not really making it clear but I hope this kinda makes it more specific to the kind of panic attack you may be responding to. See, the panic attack was not specified and symptoms we'rent listed which is fine, but in response they would have got a 'general' answer like mine. As a previous sufferer maybe I'm just a little too used to the topic and just assume people know what I mean... Sorry about that!

Edit: Just as a note, mental panic attacks should be consulted with a health professional, I don't know if you have to pay in the USA or not but it is worth it as people can develop full anxiety symptoms which can lead to major stress and even paranoia. HOWEVER saying that, most teenagers go through a phase of panic attacks as a result of hormones shocking the body and most people do NOT develop serious illnesses when they are older but in my opinion it's worth talking to someone about mental panic attacks if you are a sufferer.

Also: When mentioning physical panic attack or mental I mean more physical draining panic attacks or more mentally draining panic attacks because, obviously, all panic attacks have mental and physical symptoms.

All of which is directed not at the person who wrote the quote but to anyone who may be reading this. Therefore this text is indirect is built to help or explain to anyone reading. Thanks

...And I Like Kittens.

Last edited by KieranRules; June 13th, 2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Adding a bit more :p
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #14
ChaseDakoda
Member+

ChaseDakoda's Forum Picture

Name: Chase

All answers are great. My panic attacks are all about dieing, Like being buried alive.

I am on Medication called Clonazapan. and I can do anything.
ChaseDakoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #15
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Yep, when I mention about calming down btw I'm not saying: "oh you have to calm down, it's so simple". In fact I am aware that it is the hardest part but I wouldn't call it a goal, depending on the panic attack you're having. In the case of a physical adrenaline rush or heart rate increase it is certainly not the goal but instead a step as the aim is to reduce the strain on the heart and lungs, in the future making heart attacks less likely and reducing any other related problems. It is hard, very hard but just like becoming hyperactive, you can stop it and the only way to do that is to slow down and 'relax' as such. Again, I know it is hard to do that also but it is what you have to do.

If it's more mental: Do as you said above

If it's more physical: sit down, eat a biscuit and forget about it in the mean time, of which I generalised as 'calming down'

Sorry that I may have insulted you or anyone else by not really making it clear but I hope this kinda makes it more specific to the kind of panic attack you may be responding to. See, the panic attack was not specified and symptoms we'rent listed which is fine, but in response they would have got a 'general' answer like mine. As a previous sufferer maybe I'm just a little too used to the topic and just assume people know what I mean... Sorry about that!

Edit: Just as a note, mental panic attacks should be consulted with a health professional, I don't know if you have to pay in the USA or not but it is worth it as people can develop full anxiety symptoms which can lead to major stress and even paranoia. HOWEVER saying that, most teenagers go through a phase of panic attacks as a result of hormones shocking the body and most people do NOT develop serious illnesses when they are older but in my opinion it's worth talking to someone about mental panic attacks if you are a sufferer.

Also: When mentioning physical panic attack or mental I mean more physical draining panic attacks or more mentally draining panic attacks because, obviously, all panic attacks have mental and physical symptoms.

All of which is directed not at the person who wrote the quote but to anyone who may be reading this. Therefore this text is indirect is built to help or explain to anyone reading. Thanks
I wasn't actually referring to you when I said that I do tend to be outspoken, but I try to be tactful I actually pretty much entirely agreed with you

Ah, see, that's the thing though- people with panic attacks? Usually don't get heart attacks from them. They just THINK they're going to. Which is both cruel and a huge relief at the same time. No, to have a heart attack, you must have hypertension+high blood pressure- which can happen, however, usually anyone under 40 who is healthy can take the strain. Even if you do have minor heart problems, unless you are prone to one, the other, or both, heart attack is fairly unlikely. As is a syncopal episode (passing out), because the part of your brain that can actually communicate with your body knows that nothing bad is going to happen. (Syncopal episodes are there to protect your body from damage by shutting down nonessential "programs" as it were. Ever had your computer crash? That's what your brain does when you pass out. It just freaks us out because we expect consciousness and the ability to stand upright in an "ok" person- the brain doesn't exactly see things our way.)(isn't it funny how our brains are such huge dicks- you can communicate with your body to move it, but your body cannot communicate with you, other than in the form of "WOW THIS REALLY HURTS" or "I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING TO DIE" If we could, you know, hear voices in our head or something. Come on, brain.)

Now see, the problem with that is that panic attacks ARE mental- even if they are a misfiring of things in your adrenal gland, this is because your brain is sending off a weird signal that it shouldn't be, because panic attacks are typically due to chemical imbalance in the brain. I mean, it's not so much that it's "all in your head", however, your mind IS causing the attack. The anxiety you get about something turns into a much bigger response because your brain is dealing with it the wrong way.

I mean, all mental illness is physical, just not in the sense that diabetes, or cancer is. Plus, the difference between mental illness and what I listed above is that your mind does have some control over it, which is what therapy is there for.

Actually, you have that wrong- panic attacks aren't a precursor of anxiety disorder- panic attacks are typically as a result of existing anxiety problems, or possibly an anxiety disorder. Severe problems with panic attacks are called panic disorder, which is a type of anxiety disorder, such as GAD or OCD. (I have all three) What you are referring to is called panic disorder, and while it can cause extreme stress and paranoia, episodes of panic attacks do not necessarily lead to this (as most people have isolated panic attacks once or twice in their life, and yes, as you've said they seem to be more common in teens through twentysomethings- probably due to school, and impending adulthood. A lot of changes happen in this period of time, and all are stressful to one degree or another.)

And really, seeking professional help is always a good thing- HOWEVER, it tends to be expensive, and very hard to go through with for those with anxiety, so you look at the criteria of when it starts to become a 'serious problem', and severely complicate your life- at this point it is practically necessary in order to function. (There will always be varying degrees of mental illness, and varying degrees of resiliency and natural ability to cope in people.)

1. Major stress in relationships
2. Major change in school or work performance, as well as how you feel about your ability to function in these situations (Once you get to the point of feeling like you need to quit your job/calling in constant sick days to either/dropping out of school/etc, you need professional help.)
3. Major change in schedule and daily patterns (sleeping more/less/inconsistently, eating more/less/inconsistently, neglecting hygiene, etc.)
4. Being unable to "cope with life", unable to complete simple tasks or run simple errands. (Please seek help before it comes to this- I've been there, I am there, and you don't want to hit that low.)

And really, you can tell when it becomes a problem. You just kind of know. It comes in the form of "I can't take this anymore". I feel like I've left out signs, but those are really the major ones.

I see where you're differentiating the panic attacks now, but that doesn't really make sense in context to above- not to mention that they are caused by the same thing, and can be solved by the same thing.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #16
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie

Simple breathing in and out, realize I'm panicking, then finding something to distract myself to help calm me down. It works every time I do so.

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #17
KieranRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
I wasn't actually referring to you when I said that I do tend to be outspoken, but I try to be tactful I actually pretty much entirely agreed with you

Ah, see, that's the thing though- people with panic attacks? Usually don't get heart attacks from them. They just THINK they're going to. Which is both cruel and a huge relief at the same time. No, to have a heart attack, you must have hypertension+high blood pressure- which can happen, however, usually anyone under 40 who is healthy can take the strain. Even if you do have minor heart problems, unless you are prone to one, the other, or both, heart attack is fairly unlikely. As is a syncopal episode (passing out), because the part of your brain that can actually communicate with your body knows that nothing bad is going to happen. (Syncopal episodes are there to protect your body from damage by shutting down nonessential "programs" as it were. Ever had your computer crash? That's what your brain does when you pass out. It just freaks us out because we expect consciousness and the ability to stand upright in an "ok" person- the brain doesn't exactly see things our way.)(isn't it funny how our brains are such huge dicks- you can communicate with your body to move it, but your body cannot communicate with you, other than in the form of "WOW THIS REALLY HURTS" or "I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING TO DIE" If we could, you know, hear voices in our head or something. Come on, brain.)

Now see, the problem with that is that panic attacks ARE mental- even if they are a misfiring of things in your adrenal gland, this is because your brain is sending off a weird signal that it shouldn't be, because panic attacks are typically due to chemical imbalance in the brain. I mean, it's not so much that it's "all in your head", however, your mind IS causing the attack. The anxiety you get about something turns into a much bigger response because your brain is dealing with it the wrong way.

I mean, all mental illness is physical, just not in the sense that diabetes, or cancer is. Plus, the difference between mental illness and what I listed above is that your mind does have some control over it, which is what therapy is there for.

Actually, you have that wrong- panic attacks aren't a precursor of anxiety disorder- panic attacks are typically as a result of existing anxiety problems, or possibly an anxiety disorder. Severe problems with panic attacks are called panic disorder, which is a type of anxiety disorder, such as GAD or OCD. (I have all three) What you are referring to is called panic disorder, and while it can cause extreme stress and paranoia, episodes of panic attacks do not necessarily lead to this (as most people have isolated panic attacks once or twice in their life, and yes, as you've said they seem to be more common in teens through twentysomethings- probably due to school, and impending adulthood. A lot of changes happen in this period of time, and all are stressful to one degree or another.)

And really, seeking professional help is always a good thing- HOWEVER, it tends to be expensive, and very hard to go through with for those with anxiety, so you look at the criteria of when it starts to become a 'serious problem', and severely complicate your life- at this point it is practically necessary in order to function. (There will always be varying degrees of mental illness, and varying degrees of resiliency and natural ability to cope in people.)

1. Major stress in relationships
2. Major change in school or work performance, as well as how you feel about your ability to function in these situations (Once you get to the point of feeling like you need to quit your job/calling in constant sick days to either/dropping out of school/etc, you need professional help.)
3. Major change in schedule and daily patterns (sleeping more/less/inconsistently, eating more/less/inconsistently, neglecting hygiene, etc.)
4. Being unable to "cope with life", unable to complete simple tasks or run simple errands. (Please seek help before it comes to this- I've been there, I am there, and you don't want to hit that low.)

And really, you can tell when it becomes a problem. You just kind of know. It comes in the form of "I can't take this anymore". I feel like I've left out signs, but those are really the major ones.

I see where you're differentiating the panic attacks now, but that doesn't really make sense in context to above- not to mention that they are caused by the same thing, and can be solved by the same thing.
I was close enough

I just wanted to say that it's things like this that make me question the Governments of America, being British I'm very used to seeing a doctor and health specialists at least every year without and kind of charge and medication that is priced is very cheep. I mean, I know this is short of off topic but regarding children and teens that have common problems like panic attacks, they can be solved very quickly with free and very decent care from professional health carers. The NHS (British National Health Service) was what helped me through it all and I no longer suffer from them. However they are on a likely return somewhere down the line. Since this is slightly related could I ask you you're opinion on what I think is known as 'Obama Care'. I think the Mods would rather we discussed that else where though so if you want pm me or something because you seem like someone I could always have an interesting convo with

Oh and btw when I split the panic attacks up into the two sections they were more angled at the symptoms rather then the cause and solution... (While writing that it didn't even make sense in my mind xD) EXAMPLE: When I suffered with panic attacks I would usually feel physical affects taking place e.g a rise in temperature. Where as, sometimes I would start worrying about people or think too much into things. I only really had one thing over the other and I presumed it was the same for everyone? Never the less I split the symptoms into two to I could have a more effective approach of dealing with them as the usual 'calming down' method never worked for the one. Maybe it's just me and my weird way of dealing with things haha. If that still doesn't really make sense then give up, I really can't explain things very well (you can probably tell)

Oh and btw your points are totally agreed with just that, as I said before, I just can't explain things very well.

Edit: I love how we're going in depth with this and everyone else are just repeating the same things like "just calm down". It would be nice if it was more then me and you taking this further then just a simple answer. (not hinting to people reading this to get more involved at all ._.)

To anyone else reading this bit; I figured that playing with squeezable objects can take your mind off the panic attacks and so can having some kind of activity with a pet!

...And I Like Kittens.

Last edited by KieranRules; June 13th, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #18
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
I was close enough

I just wanted to say that it's things like this that make me question the Governments of America, being British I'm very used to seeing a doctor and health specialists at least every year without and kind of charge and medication that is priced is very cheep. I mean, I know this is short of off topic but regarding children and teens that have common problems like panic attacks, they can be solved very quickly with free and very decent care from professional health carers. The NHS (British National Health Service) was what helped me through it all and I no longer suffer from them. However they are on a likely return somewhere down the line. Since this is slightly related could I ask you you're opinion on what I think is known as 'Obama Care'. I think the Mods would rather we discussed that else where though so if you want pm me or something because you seem like someone I could always have an interesting convo with

Oh and btw when I split the panic attacks up into the two sections they were more angled at the symptoms rather then the cause and solution... (While writing that it didn't even make sense in my mind xD) EXAMPLE: When I suffered with panic attacks I would usually feel physical affects taking place e.g a rise in temperature. Where as, sometimes I would start worrying about people or think too much into things. I only really had one thing over the other and I presumed it was the same for everyone? Never the less I split the symptoms into two to I could have a more effective approach of dealing with them as the usual 'calming down' method never worked for the one. Maybe it's just me and my weird way of dealing with things haha. If that still doesn't really make sense then give up, I really can't explain things very well (you can probably tell)

Oh and btw your points are totally agreed with just that, as I said before, I just can't explain things very well.

Edit: I love how we're going in depth with this and everyone else are just repeating the same things like "just calm down". It would be nice if it was more then me and you taking this further then just a simple answer. (not hinting to people reading this to get more involved at all ._.)

To anyone else reading this bit; I figured that playing with squeezable objects can take your mind off the panic attacks and so can having some kind of activity with a pet!
Oh believe me, (in my opinion) any American in their right mind feels the same way. The government sucks.

I actually haven't read up on Obamacare or anything- I feel that it's unfair that insurance is a legal requirement, because er, some people can't feed themselves, or afford homes. What the actual fuck. You think they can afford insurance? There's a line, and if you're over the line, and you have medical problems, health insurance is a great thing if it's good. HOWEVER, if you're under the line, it's practically pointless- you could be saving that money to make sure you don't starve to death or die from being exposed to the elements instead. (As health insurance is also very expensive here. I'm glad that I'm not going to be 18 for another few months, because I'm dealing with a lot as it is, and insurance is not only the last thing on my mind, but something vital to me. I'm both mentally and physically disabled- I can't afford to be uninsured. [ironically])

But yeah, that's really off-topic

Hah, alright.

I find that pets can help a lot if they're uh...In the right disposition. XD If my animals are fidgety or noisy, it doesn't help me.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old June 14th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #19
TheLoneWolf
Member+

TheLoneWolf's Forum Picture

Quote:

I hope this helps!
Tried this a few days ago, and it worked!
Thanks so much for the advice

http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/signaturepics/sigpic105382_4.gif

Fairy tales don't tell children dragons exist, children already know dragons are real, fairy tales tell childeren that dragons can be killed.
~G. K. Chesterton
TheLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #20
KieranRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoneWolf View Post
Tried this a few days ago, and it worked!
Thanks so much for the advice
I'm glad

you never know, after a few weeks they might start to die down and become less of a problem! Keep it up!

...And I Like Kittens.