Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM   #1
HollowSoul

HollowSoul's Forum Picture

Question What does it feel like to be calm?

So I'm like never calm. I'm commonly anxious, sad, angry, etc. but never calm. Does calm even exist? Have you ever been calm? If so what did it feel like? It just seems like such an abstract idea to me...

Unicorns poop rainbows!!!!
HollowSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Harley Quinn
Puddin'

Harley Quinn's Forum Picture

Name: Siobhan
Default Re: What does it feel like to be calm?

Calm is a state of mind I've found, sometimes it's hard to achieve especially if you are feeling all of these emotions all of the time. Sometimes, you can feel calm and not even realise it. Calm is also a something that does happen if you gain some self love, breathing and reflecting on things can help you remain calm, just like meditation and whatnot. Calm to me feels like nothing is wrong, everything is going right and it's when I can think clearly. Everyone, of course, has different definitions of calm.

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

[Emerald Dream] if I had a 30 minute orgasm, I would probably need to sleep for a week

~Stevennn

*Ali*
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:00 PM   #3
HollowSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
Calm is a state of mind I've found, sometimes it's hard to achieve especially if you are feeling all of these emotions all of the time. Sometimes, you can feel calm and not even realise it. Calm is also a something that does happen if you gain some self love, breathing and reflecting on things can help you remain calm, just like meditation and whatnot. Calm to me feels like nothing is wrong, everything is going right and it's when I can think clearly. Everyone, of course, has different definitions of calm.
Hmmmm interesting. That makes sense. Haha I shall try this because going back and forth between all these emotions is killing me.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Höek

Calm is a weird one for me, as having GAD and being bipolar, it's kind of a...Relative term for me.

So calm means that I'm not emotionally distressed, basically. My anxiety levels are relatively low, and I'm not hyper, angry, or bawling my head off.

TRUE calm I think is like when you hit a sweet spot while doing yoga or meditation, or right before you go to sleep/right after you wake up. Rare moments, but very peaceful and cleansing.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:20 PM   #5
HollowSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
Calm is a weird one for me, as having GAD and being bipolar, it's kind of a...Relative term for me.

So calm means that I'm not emotionally distressed, basically. My anxiety levels are relatively low, and I'm not hyper, angry, or bawling my head off.

TRUE calm I think is like when you hit a sweet spot while doing yoga or meditation, or right before you go to sleep/right after you wake up. Rare moments, but very peaceful and cleansing.
GAD? and haha lucky Generally before I go to bed my mind is racing. Although when I wake up is actually quite nice... Only if I'm not being woken up...

Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowSoul View Post
GAD? and haha lucky Generally before I go to bed my mind is racing. Although when I wake up is actually quite nice... Only if I'm not being woken up...
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Not so much 'lucky', I don't mean before you go to bed, I mean right before your body shuts the lights out Of course you're going to be calm- you're losing consciousness.

That's true as well.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #7
HollowSoul

Quote:
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Not so much 'lucky', I don't mean before you go to bed, I mean right before your body shuts the lights out Of course you're going to be calm- you're losing consciousness.

That's true as well.
Lol I meant lucky about the calm before sleep haha not the GAD... That was oddly worded though

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowSoul View Post
Lol I meant lucky about the calm before sleep haha not the GAD... That was oddly worded though
That's what I mean though- it's not really all that lucky, as everyone has to experience it in some form or they won't sleep.

I mean, if someone puts a rag with chloroform over your face, you're going to be calm right before you pass out It's the body's natural function.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #9
backjruton
Awesome Poster

backjruton's Forum Picture

Name: JACK
Unhappy Re: What does it feel like to be calm?

I always seem to be too on-the-edge or something to feel calm...

Quote:
I have problems with the dark so I'm only calm if I sleep with my teddies under the covers and if I'm properly covered up

I rarely feel safe but I wouldn't exactly say I think an apocalypse of zombies could appear and kill me in the night like one person in college once said but for as long as I can remember:

I've always had a nightmare of me being on my own, someone knocking on the door, and me being reluctant to answer because I'd always been told not to answer the door when I'm home alone or even answer the home phone for my own safety. In this the person who was on the other end of the door turned out to be an extremely tough boxer who punched the door down and then beat me up and killed me because I wouldn't let him in the house. I know it might sound a little stupid but that has been affecting me for a very long time and I can't look at the door when I'm on my own because I actually did before and saw the fucking mask through the window. That's what's caused my anxiety when it comes to being the last person awake or being home alone but I've never been able to say this to a psychiatrist yet I think in a way it could be useful.
backjruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by backjruton View Post
I always seem to be too on-the-edge or something to feel calm...

I have problems with the dark so I'm only calm if I sleep with my teddies under the covers and if I'm properly covered up

I rarely feel safe but I wouldn't exactly say I think an apocalypse of zombies could appear and kill me in the night like one person in college once said but for as long as I can remember:

I've always had a nightmare of me being on my own, someone knocking on the door, and me being reluctant to answer because I'd always been told not to answer the door when I'm home alone or even answer the home phone for my own safety. In this the person who was on the other end of the door turned out to be an extremely tough boxer who punched the door down and then beat me up and killed me because I wouldn't let him in the house. I know it might sound a little stupid but that has been affecting me for a very long time and I can't look at the door when I'm on my own because I actually did before and saw the fucking mask through the window. That's what's caused my anxiety when it comes to being the last person awake or being home alone but I've never been able to say this to a psychiatrist yet I think in a way it could be useful.
Dreams can be strange. I will almost always have 'mini nightmares', dreams that play out like dreams, but have very unsettling undertones or just make me feel uneasy in general.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #11
Thatcarguy
Banned

Name: Long john silvers

im always calm and relaxed its pretty easy you just gotta chill out and relax

Last edited by Thatcarguy; April 24th, 2014 at 10:41 PM.
Thatcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #12
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatcarguy View Post
im always come and relaxed its pretty easy you just gotta chill out and relax
It's not really that easy if you have an anxiety disorder.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #13
ksdnfkfr
Banned

I get total calm for a while sometimes. one thing i notice is i feel very light. and my chest feels different, like my insides aren't a knotted up for a change. carefree, worry free. happy. free. mainly that, free.
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #14
Horatio Nelson
Retired Bro

Horatio Nelson's Forum Picture

Name: Zach

Hmm, calm, that's a tough one to describe.

It's that feeling after a good meal. That sweet ocean breeze on your face. Watching innocent animals go about their day. Watching the wind blow through the leaves on a nice day.

These are all times when I feel "calm".

Horatio Nelson

"All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19*Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20*Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
-Ali-
Horatio Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #15
Plane And Simple
Good Life

Plane And Simple's Forum Picture

Calm for me is the time in which I can sit down, take a deep breath and smile. No worries around me, no stuff bugging me, nothing to do, just me enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooy View Post
Im still virgin
I'm not,math and physics f*** me every day.
Plane And Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #16
HollowSoul

Quote:
That's what I mean though- it's not really all that lucky, as everyone has to experience it in some form or they won't sleep.

I mean, if someone puts a rag with chloroform over your face, you're going to be calm right before you pass out It's the body's natural function.
Ctfu!!!! that example

Old April 25th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #17
HollowSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
Hmm, calm, that's a tough one to describe.

It's that feeling after a good meal. That sweet ocean breeze on your face. Watching innocent animals go about their day. Watching the wind blow through the leaves on a nice day.

These are all times when I feel "calm".
Dude... Marry me!!! haha Seriously though nice examples

Old April 26th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #18
Danny Phantom
Great Poster

Danny Phantom's Forum Picture

Name: Danny

For me, calm is taking pictures, writing stories, talking to good friends.

Calm for me is mostly happy things as well. I feel like I don't have a care in the world, I feel relaxed, no tension, I feel like I'm somewhere else and I feel like I am escaping the world.

I think it is good for everyone to take 5-10 minutes a day to relax and be calm and free, it will make you feel way better.

3:57 PM [Scarlet Splinters] teenfootball your eyes sparkle like Saudia Arabia's oil wells

[dame] my laugh sounds like a car that doesn't want to start

[SoFarAway] its not the size of the boat, its the motion of the ocean
Danny Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #19
backjruton
Awesome Poster

backjruton's Forum Picture

Name: JACK
Angry Re: What does it feel like to be calm?

Quote:
Dreams can be strange. I will almost always have 'mini nightmares', dreams that play out like dreams, but have very unsettling undertones or just make me feel uneasy in general.
I'm always too shaky though. After the panic of expecting the worse to happen to our cat and cry quite a lot of yesterday because we had already experienced this with the other cat and I remember I was extremely sad when she got put down and that was for quite a while. I don't know if I have an anxiety disorder which is what caused this or I just had an extreme overload yesterday while trying to calm the cat down and I'm still feeling shaky about that;

I and my brother were in town this morning, I somehow split from him because I wanted to divert from the crowds and he was winding me up, but we were in the middle of town and there was no quiet there... I couldn't find him and I started crying quite loudly and went into a panic attack, it's the first time I've had something that extreme while walking through town and I don't think it wouldn't have happened if he wasn't worried that I'd walked off and he didn't know where I was - I guess I felt worse knowing he was worried about me. I was fine, in a way I was really happy because I'd just seen my best friend from school, but as soon as I got into subway and tried to order something I just couldn't because they didn't understand me and I had to keep repeating myself (partly because foreign people behind the till and my speaking problem which isn't always this bad) then they misunderstood me and didn't give me exactly what I asked for, that really pissed me off.

We walked out, then I realized how many people there were and I started to feel really bad, like I couldn't be outside anymore and just had to rush back home, but he wanted to go the quiet way because he thought it would make me feel better but I'm suspecting agoraphobia when his only problem was anxiety and those 2 for me are different. He tried to calm me down, I started crying even more and breathing even faster, and I kept getting looked at by a woman at the traffic lights; it didn't help that they're doing construction work there right now, the lights don't work and we had to wait a while for the dickheads in cars to let us cross. I can't stand still, it's impossible, so there's another problem. Crowds and wide open spaces make me feel horrible; I don't know if that's GAD, agoraphobia or both, but that was really bad earlier and as I've said, I'm still feeling upset because of what happened yesterday too, so I don't know if that's the cause of it or if there's a much bigger problem. I don't want to start crying every time I'm in town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatcarguy View Post
im always calm and relaxed its pretty easy you just gotta chill out and relax
It isn't so easy. I feel much better when I'm holding things, and for that reason I think holding a stressball would be good for me whenever I'm out in public so I have something soft to pinch on (in need of a better way to say it) if I start to tense up and I can feel another meltdown coming. I don't think of this a lot of the time because of how easy I break them, I normally try to calm myself down another way, but sometimes it just doesn't work and I'm in that state where I can't stop crying and I'm always feeling down. I feel better when I'm listening to music but I will never say I'm properly calm, too many things going on around me to be calm. I need company but I also need to be by myself, I don't understand and I struggle because of it. Relaxing doesn't always work, it depends on your general feeling at the time too.

Last edited by backjruton; April 26th, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
backjruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #20
Thatcarguy
Banned

Name: Long john silvers

It isn't so easy. I feel much better when I'm holding things, and for that reason I think holding a stressball would be good for me whenever I'm out in public so I have something soft to pinch on (in need of a better way to say it) if I start to tense up and I can feel another meltdown coming. I don't think of this a lot of the time because of how easy I break them, I normally try to calm myself down another way, but sometimes it just doesn't work and I'm in that state where I can't stop crying and I'm always feeling down. I feel better when I'm listening to music but I will never say I'm properly calm, too many things going on around me to be calm. I need company but I also need to be by myself, I don't understand and I struggle because of it. Relaxing doesn't always work, it depends on your general feeling at the time too.[/QUOTE]

Ive never had this problem and dont think i ever will ive always been laid back and chill and never meltdown even when people are screaming at me it just doesent bother me lol.
Thatcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote