Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 30th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #1
The37thElement

The37thElement's Forum Picture

Question ADHD Statistics

It seems as though a ton of people have ADHD, including myself. However, people at my school act as though it is some weird disease. What are the statistics on it in the US, because it seems like everyone has it. What's your opinion on it?
The37thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:54 AM   #2
abc983055235235231a
Unactivated Member

Name: Flexography
Default Re: ADHD Statistics

I could probably dig up some statistics on it somewhere, but I don't particularly feel like doing that at the moment.

IMO, ADHD is probably a real condition, but it is over-diagnosed, which is why it seems so prevalent.
abc983055235235231a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:32 AM   #3
ksdnfkfr
Banned

I agree, it's over diagnosed. ADHD diagnosis means meds being pre$cribed.
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Body odah Man
VT Lover

Body odah Man's Forum Picture

I agree with the others. ADHD is real, but over diagnosed
Body odah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:42 PM   #5
backjruton
Awesome Poster

backjruton's Forum Picture

Name: JACK

How do they even diagnose ADHD in the first place?

I was told about autism after 4 years of meetings with 2 different women that I think are therapists but not too sure what to call it. The last was I think 90 minutes in a room alone with the woman with no one else to answer some questions and she wanted to know how good I was with certain puzzles and stuff.. I think the thing that clearly sealed the deal was that I spent most of the time talking about my brother because of obsessions or something.. idk
backjruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:15 PM   #6
JamesSuperBoy
Awesome Poster

JamesSuperBoy's Forum Picture

Name: ^*~James~*^

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliGood123 View Post
It seems as though a ton of people have ADHD, including myself. However, people at my school act as though it is some weird disease. What are the statistics on it in the US, because it seems like everyone has it. What's your opinion on it?
There are some stats here

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/adhd.htm

I am sure you can find more - whatever people say or act like "some weird disease" It is not a disease.
JamesSuperBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:37 PM   #7
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith

Over and mis-diagnosis is on the rise for most all mental illnesses sadly, due I'll bet to mostly the broadening of diagnostic criteria. I bet you, you could take any random person off the street and find a way to diagnose them with some sort of mental illness. I remember when I decided to talk to my old psychiatrist about my anxiety, I literally just said I had some symptoms of OCD and walked out with a prescription of Zoloft. ADD and ADHD are even moreso as mild forms of these are seen in, I'd imagine, the vast majority of children, and again, not because more people have the disorder so much as it's being misdiagnosed. I feel like we are so focused on smothering problems that the details don't matter so much as the fix does, whether we actually need the fix or not. I wrote a paper about the pharmaceutical industry last year, so don't even get me started on the pressure coming from there to overdiagnose.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 01:39 PM   #8
Tarannosaurus
Awesome Poster

Tarannosaurus's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvelocin View Post
Over and mis-diagnosis is on the rise for most all mental illnesses sadly, due I'll bet to mostly the broadening of diagnostic criteria. I bet you, you could take any random person off the street and find a way to diagnose them with some sort of mental illness. I remember when I decided to talk to my old psychiatrist about my anxiety, I literally just said I had some symptoms of OCD and walked out with a prescription of Zoloft. ADD and ADHD are even moreso as mild forms of these are seen in, I'd imagine, the vast majority of children, and again, not because more people have the disorder so much as it's being misdiagnosed. I feel like we are so focused on smothering problems that the details don't matter so much as the fix does, whether we actually need the fix or not. I wrote a paper about the pharmaceutical industry last year, so don't even get me started on the pressure coming from there to overdiagnose.
Syvelocin is completely right unfortunately. I just thought of a study here that shows it (you might already know about it), and there have been countless others. I mean, children that are two/three are being diagnosed with ADHD (how can they possibly tell at that age?) and being given adult prescriptions. I'm not sure of the stats but most stats probably won't be accurate, so what you do find take with a pinch of salt.

H&A mod
If you have a question don't hesitate to PM me or email me at [email protected]
Tarannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote