Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 11th, 2018, 07:03 PM   #1
scottishlooby

Name: Louise
Default Autism

Hey,

Does anyone know a good online test for autism/aspergers? I've been trying to find a proper one that's not just a stupid quiz.

I've been having a few people tell me that I'm autistic recently...I know it's stupid but it's planted a little seed of doubt in my head and its making me kinda paranoid about it. I'm kinda awkward/anxious with people sometimes and not very good at really making close close friends but I've always just thought it was me being weird.

Anyways, some kind of "offical" type test would be good before I actually go see a doctor in case I'm just told "Dont worry, you're just weird"

Help!
scottishlooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 02:12 AM   #2
Alumni

Default Re: Autism

I don't consider those quizzes to be a viable source of information.

As someone with high-functioning autism (stage I, lowest), you usually just feel it. People make you mad without a true understanding as to why. Things feel too subtle sometimes and that makes you uncomfortable. You like being alone, and that's really the way you feel that you can console yourself. Socializing with people is hard at times, words can get stumbled at times even when you already know what you're going to say. Staring people in the eye is such a challenge.

For me, it is really mental. I feel like it's something I can console myself with, and most of the time, I can. It does have its challenges, but if your head is in the right spot, it usually doesn't feel like much. Making things simple just feels like it keeps me at peace.

I consider myself to be mentally strong, I'm confident in myself and that allows me to take strides that I really don't notice at times.

I don't take medications, mostly because there really isn't a true medication that treats autism, because it's a disorder that really can't be treated as a whole, they can only take away certain abilities that it has.

This could also be because I was given therapy early on as a child. I went to therapy at school and also took speech therapy.

Nowadays, it's not nearly as much of an issue as it was when I was young. I feel like it has greatly depleted. There's times where I feel genuine and normal, if that makes any sense. The last time I had a major episode of emotional distress was roughly two years ago.

You'll just feel it.

Last edited by Alumni; April 12th, 2018 at 03:28 AM.
Alumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 07:12 AM   #3
Andyyy95
Member++

Andyyy95's Forum Picture

Hi Louise,

You shouldn't let people tell you how you should/shouldn't be or what you should/shouldn't do. I don't know how old you are, but irrespective of that, over time you'll realise that the opinions of other people don't matter - as long as you feel okay about yourself, then that's fine. After all, it is your life.

However, if this particular situation bothers you, I certainly recommend you to book yourself into your local GP and ask for a diagnosis? They are professional, they won't judge you, they know what they're doing, so you're in safe hands.

I don't recommend self-diagnosing yourself via the Internet.

Hope that helps,
Andy

Always open to meeting/talking to people, so feel free to add me as friend or pop up for a chat
Andyyy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 07:50 AM   #4
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

To get a proper diagnosis, you need a professional. Someone who knows exactly what to look for and will be able to help you out.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote