Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 24th, 2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Sir.Reena

Default Sharing game console time with siblings

I'm 15 (girl) and have a 13 year old younger brother. We've both always played video games but a year ago we were "both given" a PS4. My brother wanted the COD 3 design and that's what we were given so immediately I assumed that he would think that it was his, even though our parents insisted that we share it. When we first got it, I didn't think that I was allowed on it, he would be playing games whenever I was home and I didn't think that I could just kick him off because I wanted to play. Recently life hasn't been too fun so I began to play video games again because that's really the only thing that interests me at the moment. I found out that my friends play online so now I've bought a years subscription (with my own money) of PSP, my brother also has a subscription but was given to him by our parents. The new struggle between my brother having to now adjust to this situation has been ugly. Last night he said a few things while he was yelling at me about it:
* My friends think it's weird that my 15 year old sister plays the PS4 (he emphasised the 15 year old bit as if I'm too old to play video games)
* It shouldn't be 50/50 (He was talking about the time on the PS4)
So now I don't know what to do. I really think we should talk it through (mum and dad included) so I can at least try and understand WHY THE HELL IT SHOULDN'T BE 50/50 EACH ON THE GOD DAMN PS4!
I've honestly tried my hardest to see his point of view but all I see is that he's annoyance for now having to share something that was always supposed to be shared in the first place. Whenever I try to talk to him about it he gets defensive and talks about how I'm so lazy (I don't do a sport) or it's weird that I play video games.

So I just want to ask, if anyone shares game consoles with their siblings, how? And am I being too selfish to ask for equal time on it? (Because I don't think I am but I'm probably being bias)
Sir.Reena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 04:51 PM   #2
Jake445
Member++

Name: Jake
Default Re: Sharing game console time with siblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Reena View Post
So I just want to ask, if anyone shares game consoles with their siblings, how? And am I being too selfish to ask for equal time on it? (Because I don't think I am but I'm probably being biased)
Hey, so I share a gaming capable computer with my sister but I guess that's a bit different. We're twins so we are both 13 and we get along really well. When we want to play something we just kind of take turns. There is no need to define any rules. But the point is we play together and we have the same friends with whom we play online.

For your case, I don't think that you're too selfish because it just simply was a gift for the two of you. You should get equal time regardless of age! If you can't handle it with your brother, could you ask your parents for help? He definitely shouldn't yell at you about it.

Fourteen, Twin.
Feel free to PM and or add me.
Jake445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 04:41 PM   #3
vipersniper70

vipersniper70's Forum Picture

Name: liam

I have 3 younger brothers, we all get on really well, me and my eldest brother both have xbox ones but my two youngest brothers don't have any game consoles, but we haft to share them, we do argue accationaly on who uses them but most of the time we have an understanding.

I don't think u are being selfish the ps4 is for both of u should u should get equal opportunity to play it

Hi I'm 18 bi love sports and Xbox
Willing to talk to anyone about anything
Pm me whenever
vipersniper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

I solved that problem when I shared a PC with my little brother easily. When I would come from school our from outside, I would just shove him off.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2018, 07:56 PM   #5
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

We have never been allowed to have a game system so there is no problem. I have no problem sharing computer time with my sister. She really isn't that interested in computer stuff anyway.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Ethan19
Member+

Ethan19's Forum Picture

Name: Ethan

It's just him being a kid, it's what they do. I was the youngest of my brothers and it was the same until I was about 16. There's no 'fix unfortunately, just time.
Ethan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2018, 04:47 PM   #7
skittlesh

We share ye xbones between3 siblings it’s also a default way of tv Netflix / Prime /iplayer so it’s kind of how the family watch tv generally who ever is on it first is the one to play till they get bored or what we’re just pretty civil about it
skittlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 04:02 PM   #8
imanopenbook

Name: Mark

we have to share as well or nobody gets to use it. My brother is the oldest so he calls rank a lot but my sister and me are like whatever A## lol but we work things out and take turns usually.
imanopenbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 08:19 AM   #9
ImagineRepublicCity
Nice Poster

ImagineRepublicCity's Forum Picture

Name: Natalie

Make sure you study hard at school first and foremost because it's
1. Good for you (generally)
2. Going to give yourself a better case

If you work hard at school and do a lot better than your brother, you can complain to your parents and be like "Jack (pretend name) is hogging the PSP and I've finished all my homework and study anyway, it's not fair."

Secondly, fuck that your brother and his friends think that. The stigma around women playing video games is just absolutely ridiculous. In fact, women play video games just as much as men do, so I don't see why he has a reason to piss on it. Heck, I'm 18 and I play online video games with people 15-30 and I have fun?? Video games isn't about being the right age or gender or race or whatever, it's about having fun, relieving stress and trying new things.

And yes, when I was a kid and lived with my brother this happened a lot, lmao. We shared a DS Lite and when my dad bought me Kirby for my birthday, my brother played so much and every time I wanted to play he'd pull away and say "No I'm not done yet."
I got pretty mad and dobbed him in for playing MY birthday present, haha.

"Nyx, Nyx, Nyx, Nyx, Nyx"

I'm not very active, but if you need someone to chat to, PM me.

Dota 2 Enthusiast | Pre-Service Teacher | Lazy | Writer
ImagineRepublicCity is offline   Reply With Quote