Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 25th, 2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Default Tobacco 101

Okay, so here it is a bit on tobacco, from my personal experiences as a smoker and from what I read and heard.

It is unhealthy, destroys your lungs, heart and blood vessels over time. Those warnings on the packs are real, not propaganda.

You can get addicted physically to tobacco. It is a mild addiction, it lasts for three days after smoking, also I noticed sort of like a nicotine rush when I smoke my first daily cigarette.

Psychological addiction is far worse, the way I figure it, most people never truly give it up, just keep the urge at bay. Kinda how ex-alcoholics and ex-drug addicts are.

In my experience, the time your addiction starts is when you obtain your first pack. I say obtain because it's easy to buy them in some places as a minor, or you have to use other ways to get them.

At first, your pack will last for days, even weeks. But as time goes buy and you have nothing smarter to do, you will smoke more. For example, you are waiting for your bus, have a smoke, you are walking someplace, light one up etc.

If you quit smoking before the age of 30, your body will fully recover from ot by the time you are 60.

The optimal amount of cigarettes to satisfly your daily nicotine needs is four. Many people smoke many times more a day, I knew some who smoked four packs a day.

It dulls your sense of smell and taste. With brief weeks I managed without nicotine, I noticed my nose and tongue being more sensitive.

To non-smokers who kiss you, your mouth will taste "like licking and ashtray" and your clothes will smell of smoke. Don't forget that indoor smoking is a bad idea, not just because everyone will smell of smoke, your house will smell of smoke for days after, unless you have some pretty overpowerd air-conditioning, but why clean the AC filters on a monthly basis when you can clean them regularly if you smoke outside, or on the balcony.

Homegrown tobacco is less poisonous than factory made cigarettes because there are no added chemicals which are way more poisonous than the plant itself. I mean, some underground cigarette factory in China made cigarettes which were radioactive.

From how I figure it, the state relied for a long time on the tobacco tax. With the amount of smokers decreasing, they are raising the tax so that they will get the same amount of money. Taxing vices is always a good way to make extra revenue. Half or more of the money I give for cigarettes goes to the state through taxes.

Cigars are no less addictive than cigarettes, except they cost a lot. For one decent cigar, I could buy a box of cigarettes, the difference is the cigar would last me an hour, while the pack will last me a week or more. You cannot really smoke cigars every day. They are meant to be enjoed for a long while. Also puff cigar smoke, do not inhale it. It is purer tobacco, you can get nausea from inhaling it. Learned it the hard way.

For all you who want to try, either try it or leave it, or do not try at all. It is a serious thing which can take years to fix. It is not so devastating to the mind like alcohol or drugs, but the addiction can be as hard to give up.

Those are my two cents about smoking. I have been typing this for about 25 minutes during which I smoked 4 cigarettes on my balcony.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM

Last edited by Stronk Serb; May 26th, 2018 at 03:30 AM.
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 05:53 PM   #2
Jinglebottom
Awesome Poster

Jinglebottom's Forum Picture

Default Re: Tobacco 101

I was born into a family of chimneys. For real, every single relative I have that is 30 or older is a heavy and constant tobacco smoker, regardless of gender (hell, the women may even smoke more than the men). For what it's worth, I was regularly subjected to indoors passive smoking for a decade, so I doubt my lungs are squeaky clean like they are supposed to be. Occasionally, my chest hurts and I feel like my lungs have closed off on themselves, but I'm not sure if that is a consequence or something completely unrelated. But yes, it sucks. It really sucks when you can't have a simple family gathering without feeling like there is no breathable air in the room, or when your hair, skin and clothes start smelling of dirty cigarette fumes. It also really sucks knowing all the health risks of smoking and have to sit there watching your loved ones slowly poison themselves non-stop. It's like they don't even care about their lives. My paternal grandmother was a heavy smoker since her teens, was diagnosed with diabetes, heart issues, and still didn't stop until she got a stroke that left half her body paralyzed. Maybe this wouldn't have happened to her (not so soon, anyway) had she given up smoking while her doctors were urging her. She never listened. My diabetic aunts witnessed all of that and still have not dropped the cigarette. It literally makes me want to scream in their faces, I mean how could anyone be SO CARELESS about their own health?! It's fascinating.

I can say I am proud of my father at least. He is pre-diabetic (as you can see, it runs in the family. I am probably also at high risk of developing diabetes). My mother forced him to quit when my sister and I were born, and he successfully kept it up for about 15 years. Then life got more stressful for him so he slipped back into his old habit. I used to feel proud that my father had turned his back on smoking and never looked back. When I found out, I was sobbing and yelling at him at how much of a moron and a disgrace he was at the same time (no, I do not hold back my words and neither should I). He promised me he would quit, and he eventually did after a year. I saw first hand how difficult it was for him. He was grumpy, tired, irritable. As a substitute for tobacco, his appetite grew a lot and made his pre-existing belly even bigger than it already was. He forced himself to be more athletic though, and now I guess he does not think about smoking too much. He told me if I even tried a cigarette, I'd be lucky if I remembered anything the next day. You got what I meant, but thankfully I don't give in to peer pressure at all and I already know that it's useless, dangerous and expensive.

It is super gross to see people my age smoking outside school campus. It makes them trashier than they already are. But in general, I would say 60% of women and up to 95% of men smoke here regularly. You would have thought that with increased awareness, the numbers would go down with the new generation, but damn you are wrong. Too bad for them, I only wish my family didn't smoke so much, because they still mean a lot to me. Makes me wonder what made them all start, and at such a young age.

General Discussions Moderator

PM - VM

*Mars was here*
Jinglebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Phosphene
Word Shaker

Phosphene's Forum Picture

I can't understand how smoking is remotely appealing to anyone. It's disgusting and so unhealthy. My parents smoked for a long time, starting at an early age and finally quitting a few years ago. I was so proud of them; they'd tried to quit in the past and weren't successful. Thankfully they never smoked in the house or car, but I could still smell it on their clothes sometimes and on their breath. They'd seize any opportunity they could when we were out somewhere to slip off and have a cigarette and I felt bad for them being so consumed by it.

They vape now instead, at the advisement of my aunt I think, who actually owns and operates a vape shop. I hope with all my heart they don't develop any serious health problems in the future.

"The question is, what color will everything be at that moment when I come for you? What will the sky be saying?" ~Death, from The Book Thief
The Treasure Trove 🦄 Probe My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Phosphene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 03:26 AM   #4
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Rose View Post
I can't understand how smoking is remotely appealing to anyone. It's disgusting and so unhealthy. My parents smoked for a long time, starting at an early age and finally quitting a few years ago. I was so proud of them; they'd tried to quit in the past and weren't successful. Thankfully they never smoked in the house or car, but I could still smell it on their clothes sometimes and on their breath. They'd seize any opportunity they could when we were out somewhere to slip off and have a cigarette and I felt bad for them being so consumed by it.

They vape now instead, at the advisement of my aunt I think, who actually owns and operates a vape shop. I hope with all my heart they don't develop any serious health problems in the future.
Vaping can actually be more dangerous than smoking. I am unwilling to start because the long-term effects have not been noticed. Tobacco has been in our culture for centuries and we simply know how or body will behave, with vaping, we do not, and because it is less regulated than tobacco, I think in the long term it could be equally or more poisonous that tobacco.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/healt...sks-ncna819716

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 10:19 AM   #5
Phosphene
Word Shaker

Phosphene's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
Vaping can actually be more dangerous than smoking. I am unwilling to start because the long-term effects have not been noticed. Tobacco has been in our culture for centuries and we simply know how or body will behave, with vaping, we do not, and because it is less regulated than tobacco, I think in the long term it could be equally or more poisonous that tobacco.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/healt...sks-ncna819716
My last sentence encompassed vaping as well as smoking I agree, and I wish they would stop. Right now anyone who's vaping is a guinea pig to determine if they'll actually work in the long run.

"The question is, what color will everything be at that moment when I come for you? What will the sky be saying?" ~Death, from The Book Thief
The Treasure Trove 🦄 Probe My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Phosphene is online now   Reply With Quote