Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 27th, 2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Tom_theflash
Member++

Tom_theflash's Forum Picture

Default What do your grandparents mean to you?

Mine have all passed away. I do have a lot of fond memories of my grandparents, especially on my mom's side. I spent all days of my childhood with my grandfather, watching cartoons and he would laugh so hard that he would cry!
At Christmas I would spend all days of Christmas vacation with them, helping decorate the dining room where all our aunts, uncles and cousins would be there. Even though there were other cousins, they made me feel always special. Their simple, old-fashioned and cool house made me feel so loved and secure. They made me feel the love.
So, what is influence grandparents' in ur life? Best memories of them?

"It's a game of running, yet not always all out.
It's a game of passion, yet under harness and rein.
It's a game of team, of passing and sharing.
It's a game supreme, this Beautiful Game".

Last edited by Tom_theflash; January 27th, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
Tom_theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 10:19 AM   #2
Alex_Swim
Member++

Alex_Swim's Forum Picture

Name: Alex
Default Re: What do your grandparents mean to you?

Just have my Grandpa (Dad's Dad) left,

Never really knew my mom's parents, Guess they never made afford to be part of my life? After mom left us.

Grandpa has a nice cabin/camping area he runs in Colorado, I go to every year. When I was 4 he and grandma came up to Dever to get me after mom left me @ daycare and never came back (Cops found her later 2 states away), Dad was out of town on a Biz trip. I stayed with G/G for 2 month, while dad got things setup where he would be working, He was getting transfered to new location.
Alex_Swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 10:23 AM   #3
Atlantis
Global Moderator

Atlantis's Forum Picture

Name: George

My grandfather on my father's side is the only one who I still have. I try to see him as much as I can, and he always makes me smile. I remember playing like board and card games with him and my cousins which was always a fun thing to do.

Global Moderator
aka Endeavour

[email protected] PM
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 11:07 AM   #4
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

My grandparents are still alive. As well as a great-grandparent couple. However, all my grandparents weren't very much present during my childhood because they lived their own lives. And cause they're all retired now, they do it all the more. They are very active old shacks. You can't rarely meet them at home.

That doesn't mean that they don't care about their grandchildren, not in a usual closer family way, at least.

For this, they made financial provision for their grandchildren, or fulfilled'em one or the other wish, or they took us on their travels and such.

That may be the reason why I emotional have a more neutral relationship with my grandparents, even though they certainly have a heartfelt relationship with their grandchildren. When we visit'em or travel with them.

A grandparent couple now has decided to live in Spain as they grow older, where the great-grandparents are living for a long time.

My other grandparents will travel as long as possible. They say they haven't seen half as much of the world as they have planned to see as they started their own family.

I hope they can do that for a more longer time. They are only in their mid-seventies. And in this branch of the family you usually don't feel old until you pass your late eigthies.

When it comes to influencing my life, it is probably the inclination to travel that has already infected Dad and Mom. My family now lives scattered all over Europe ... or, if I count me in, in the whole world.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

Last edited by lliam; January 27th, 2018 at 11:13 AM.
lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 01:17 PM   #5
samuel15
Member++

samuel15's Forum Picture

Name: samuel

Glade to hear you have good memories of them! things like that are rare.

Sadly my relation to them was pritty good when they passed away, even
though they are dead now and have been for sometime now I don't miss
them one bit. but i guess that's just me being me.

17 / gay / male PM me if you want to talk
samuel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 01:43 PM   #6
ska8er
VT Lover

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

U have all their good memories in ur heart.

My one GrandDad has turned me on to the
music he listened to when he was a teen and
other one tells me all the stories of when he
was a medic during the VietNam war-good and
bad-and I watch him and my Dad soup up muscle
cars that they sell. My one GrandMom is the best
cook and makes all the ethnic Eastern European
dishes she learned when she was a girl. I love her
fancy cookies that have turned me into the Cookie
Monster. My other GrandMom is also a good cook
and her holiday and Sunday dinners get better each
and every time. They mean "Everything" to me.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

My mother left when I was a baby so my maternal Grandma became more or less my Mom, being the only female constant in my life. She is an incredibly strong and intelligent woman and always inspired me. She taught me about our cultural heritage she is extremely proud of and simply always has been my role model.
I don't know my maternal Grandfather since my grandparents divorced before I was born and he has left the country.

My bond with my paternal grandparents was never that strong. My Dad didn't get along well with them and we had little contact. It got better when I was older but I never was able to grow such a deep bond as I have with my maternal Grandma.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

My grandparents are still alive, on both sides. My moms parents live and have always lived in Europe, so they didn’t have as much influence on me as my dads parents, who also live in America.

Despite this, I have really good memories from both sides. We used to visit my moms parents in Portugal all the time when I was younger, and I used to play soccer with my cousins and my grandfather, and help cook with my grandmother. And for my dads side, my grandparents used to own a bar so I remember when we visited, helping clean up and wash the tables and floors, and going shopping and stuff.

I don’t know my actual grandfather on my dads side. He left when my dad was still young, had another family. I don’t really care either. My grandmothers husband makes her happy and he’s all I’ve known as a grandpa, so it’s all good with me

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Jinglebottom
VT Lover

Jinglebottom's Forum Picture

My paternal grandmother is the strongest, most resilient lady you will ever meet. She's seen the worst of humanity, car bombs, murders, occupations, war, death and destruction for decades, all while having to raise five kids and protect them from the chaos that was happening in this country. And despite all that, she still raised me and my sister when my parents were too busy to even look at me. She hasn't been able to use her legs for about 7 years now, but she still radiates nothing but love and I have the deepest respect for her. I know her time to go is slowly coming up, but I don't even want to think about it tbh. She's been through a lot. I love her and she's more of a mother to me than my actual mom.
I never met my paternal grandfather, he died 5 years before I was born. I'm often told that I am the exact copy of him so I wish I had gotten the chance to meet him, I'm sure he was an amazing person.
I love my maternal grandparents but I never bonded with them as well as I did with my paternal grandma. They're both healthy at least and I am so grateful for that.

General Discussions Moderator

PM - VM

*Mars was here*
Jinglebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 03:20 PM   #10
edvs
Junior Member+

Name: Edmond

My mom's parents passed away before i was born and i never met them but i really wanted to. I only met my father's parents (grandpa passed away 10 years ago) and my father's grandparents (great-grandma passed away about 12 years ago and great-grandpa last year). My great-grandpa was in WWII and in the last like 5 years of his life he had some mental problems. I can only say that i love all my grandparents and great-grandparents.

17, love to socialize and meet new people
edvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 03:30 AM   #11
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

I am not close to my grandfather on my dad's side because he lives out of town and we don't make that much effort to be close to each other except during the holidays and birthdays, etc. I usually talk to my dad's mom (divorced from my grandfather) once a week on the phone and see her about once a month. Saw her more often until I moved away to university.

I'm much closer to the granparents on my mom's side. Until I moved, I used to see them at least 5 times per week. Mainly because my grandmother had Alzheimer's before she died and my grandfather, in his 80s, was her primary care giver so we would go over to give him a break. Since she died (2.5 yrs ago), he's been really lonely so we've continued to see him a lot.

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 10:47 AM   #12
Abyssal Echo
Lone Wolf

Abyssal Echo's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom55 View Post
Mine have all passed away. I do have a lot of fond memories of my grandparents, especially on my mom's side. I spent all days of my childhood with my grandfather, watching cartoons and he would laugh so hard that he would cry!
At Christmas I would spend all days of Christmas vacation with them, helping decorate the dining room where all our aunts, uncles and cousins would be there. Even though there were other cousins, they made me feel always special. Their simple, old-fashioned and cool house made me feel so loved and secure. They made me feel the love.
So, what is influence grandparents' in ur life? Best memories of them?
Like you my grandparents have passed away.... I have the memories of spending summers with them.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain
Abyssal Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 08:04 PM   #13
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

I only have one grandmother left. I loved all my grandparents very much. We got along well and were close.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 09:46 PM   #14
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

My birth grandparents on my dads side died before I was born. My grandmother on my birth moms side died when I was really young. That grandfather was a mean sone on a bitch like his kids. No love lost there

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 02:53 AM   #15
Fourth
Member+

Fourth's Forum Picture

Name: Gab

I have been with my 'lolo' and 'lola' (Tagalog for granddad and grandma) from my mother side of the family ever since I was young. Because my parents has work, we stayed with them after school until our parents picked us up. There was also a time where we lived with them.

Currently, we live with my grandmother, to look after her because she had an accident and had to be given a metal extension (or bridge) to connect her broken bones. She's a great cook and very loving, and has a lot of stories and gossip. We love her to bits.

My granddad died in 2015 during a surgery to remove a tumor from his throat that was caused by his tongue cancer, which he battled for several years. I can say that his death really changed my life, my parent's lives and the lives of my mother's siblings. When my granddad was still strong, he used to take me and my cousins to his rice paddy and farm, where we helped him till the land and take care for the chickens. I remember one time where we went all around town to find the toy I was looking for. He was also the one who gave me my first bottle of beer. We really miss him to this day.

As for my father's parents, we only seem them 3-5 times a year because they live far away but whenever their around we connect and bond with them. They are very loving and sweet grandparents as well. I am thankful that I have been given very nice grandparents.

I was Artful before, come hit me up.
Fourth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 04:07 AM   #16
Ilove318

Ilove318's Forum Picture

Name: Nirvana

All four of my grandparents are alive, and they all mean the world to me, but I wish they were more understanding. My mumps parents are nice and wee see them nearly everyday. They do a lot of things with my brother, my cousins and me, but I just feel very different to them. This might be because they don't get my depression. My dad's parents live in the same city as us but barely see us. They never keep their promises and always treat their other grandchildren better. Ive learnt to live without their 'love' because even after my dad has spoken to them, they haven't changed. But overall, I still love all of them, because no one is perfect.
Ilove318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 04:13 AM   #17
Harrier
Awesome Poster

I love them. None live in my town. But two are fairly close. That's good. We can go there and eat and just chill. The other is far away but that's cool too cuz I appreciate being able to finally be there. Part of going to see them can be boring. I'm not gonna lie. But it's also fun. Its kinda fun seeing my parents be the kids for once too.
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 10:59 AM   #18
Wallky

I really love grandfather and grandmother. They really cared about me always. Summer with them is my best memories. I can tell for sure. that I love them more than my parents, whom I also love very much.
Wallky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 01:23 PM   #19
StacyD
Member+

Name: Stacy

Both sets of mine passed away. But they meant everything to me. They were the greatest.
StacyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #20
tdog123
Member+

Name: Jason

Everything

14 year old boy/bisexual/i like to swim
tdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote