Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old January 20th, 2018, 10:21 AM   #1
HighStandards

Default Is gender fluid a mental illness?

I was told that being gender fluid is a mental illness and am honestly too scared to fact check this.
HighStandards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

Default Re: Is gender fluid a mental illness?

Your gender identity and your sexual orientation are not mental illnesses.

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend to me
You’re a Russian bear in a sea of tulips.

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~

Last edited by Mars; January 20th, 2018 at 04:19 PM.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 02:33 PM   #3
NeonBlueButterfly

NeonBlueButterfly's Forum Picture

Name: Emily

Whoever told you that being gender fluid is a mental illness is wrong. Your gender identity is yours, and you have every right to it.
NeonBlueButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 04:53 PM   #4
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Told what the fuck!?
No....somebody lied to you
And that’s that

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 07:21 PM   #5
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

Gender Fluid is a gender identity best described as a dynamic mix of boy and girl. A person who is Gender Fluid may always feel like a mix of the two traditional genders, but may feel more boy some days, and more girl other days.
Being Gender Fluid has nothing to do with which set of genitalia one has, nor their sexual orientation.

I am sure that you will find yourself some day. Maybe you simply are Bi.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Harrier
Awesome Poster

I'm not a big fan of the "fluid" terminology. I mean can I tell my mom that my grades are fluid? Can I tell my coach that my effort or my points per game are fluid? Can I tell my teachers me being in my seat before the bell rings is fluid? Can I tell the police my car's speedometer is fluid?

That said. You decide what your sexuality is. If you think you have to change it. Or want to change it go for it.
Harrier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2018, 04:19 AM   #7
skittlesh

I think it is a weird one because it has many symptoms of a mental illness I think the thing with gender is living as the gender you aren’t damages your mental health therefore isn’t you being in a healthy state the ‘cure’ for this though isn’t changing your mind it’s changing your body to sustain your mental health (hope I got my message across without offending anyone please say if I have, I don’t believe they are mental illnesses but being dysphoric Damages your mental health ye)
skittlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 11:15 PM   #8
max02
Member+

max02's Forum Picture

Name: maximilian

it deviates from the norm.
max02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 11:19 PM   #9
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

Yes.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 03:14 AM   #10
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Because I believe in reincarnation I have a completely different view on gender and gender-sexual identity issues.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 04:48 AM   #11
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
TYou decide what your sexuality is. If you think you have to change it. Or want to change it go for it.

This reminds me of an argument from parents who said to their gay son, "You are a sinner. You have decided to be gay. God would never create something like you!"

We can't choose our sexual orientation. So we can't change it arbitrarily, but learn to deal with it, accept it ... and, depending on the level of new realization of a certain orientation, reassign it ... if it is such important to us.

Personally, I wouldn't even define it for myself, just give it a shrug and say to my reflection, "Hello, Me - I'm just what I am. Have a nice life."

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 05:57 PM   #12
Harrier
Awesome Poster

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the "fluid" terminology. I mean can I tell my mom that my grades are fluid? Can I tell my coach that my effort or my points per game are fluid? Can I tell my teachers me being in my seat before the bell rings is fluid? Can I tell the police my car's speedometer is fluid?

That said. You decide what your sexuality is. If you think you have to change it. Or want to change it go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
This reminds me of an argument from parents who said to their gay son, "You are a sinner. You have decided to be gay. God would never create something like you!"

We can't choose our sexual orientation. So we can't change it arbitrarily, but learn to deal with it, accept it ... and, depending on the level of new realization of a certain orientation, reassign it ... if it is such important to us.

Personally, I wouldn't even define it for myself, just give it a shrug and say to my reflection, "Hello, Me - I'm just what I am. Have a nice life."
You missed my point I think. Not telling the OP He has to decide what to call himself or decide he has to change his orientation to please his parents. What I am saying is we ALL have decisions to make every day. You decide who you sleep with. It IS a decision. What I was saying is if one day you call yourself gay. Then AWESOME. If the next day you want to be straight. AWESOME. You Be You!!!
Old January 30th, 2018, 08:10 PM   #13
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

Quote:
You missed my point I think. It IS a decision. What I was saying is if one day you call yourself gay. Then AWESOME. If the next day you want to be straight. AWESOME.

I think I already understood what you mean. But I decided to point out that it does not change the fact that you remain what you are.

You decide that straight is your thing ... so you say you're straight and you're trying to live it. But if you are really gay, you stay gay. You also have to accept certain limits somewhere.

Quote:
You Be You!!!
- I like that. -

Basically, I think everyone should try to live that. It could end almost all problems with gender crisis, sexual orientations, and such.

No one needed to define themselves any more. Or wondering what he or she is. I guess most peeps often do that only in a context that exists in ones own social environment, which kinda dictates what is normal and and what isn't.

It may not protect individuals from wondering what they are anyway, but it could eventually help them to survive puberty and life a bit more chilled.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 09:02 PM   #14
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

I think "mental illness" is kind of a subjective term. I think of depression and anxiety as very real mental illnesses, but a good friend of mine who comes from a very different culture doesn't think of them as "real". Besides, the term "mental illness" has a negative connotation. Deviations from the norm don't have to be inherently negative and that's an important thing to consider. So, what you call it really depends on context, society, culture, etc. etc.

That said, gender fluidity is pretty widely observed - not uncommon, not unheard of, just treated very differently from culture to culture. What you call it is subject to the culture.

Personally, I don't think of gender fluidity as something unnatural or wrong.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 10:33 PM   #15
Harrier
Awesome Poster

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
I think I already understood what you mean. But I decided to point out that it does not change the fact that you remain what you are.

You decide that straight is your thing ... so you say you're straight and you're trying to live it. But if you are really gay, you stay gay. You also have to accept certain limits somewhere.

- I like that. -

Basically, I think everyone should try to live that. It could end almost all problems with gender crisis, sexual orientations, and such.

No one needed to define themselves any more. Or wondering what he or she is. I guess most peeps often do that only in a context that exists in ones own social environment, which kinda dictates what is normal and and what isn't.

It may not protect individuals from wondering what they are anyway, but it could eventually help them to survive puberty and life a bit more chilled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I think "mental illness" is kind of a subjective term. I think of depression and anxiety as very real mental illnesses, but a good friend of mine who comes from a very different culture doesn't think of them as "real". Besides, the term "mental illness" has a negative connotation. Deviations from the norm don't have to be inherently negative and that's an important thing to consider. So, what you call it really depends on context, society, culture, etc. etc.

That said, gender fluidity is pretty widely observed - not uncommon, not unheard of, just treated very differently from culture to culture. What you call it is subject to the culture.

Personally, I don't think of gender fluidity as something unnatural or wrong.
I agree with both of you. I'm just not a big fan of the term fluidity. Idk why we make words up. We can't or don't have fluidity in anything else in society. It's sorta starting to enter the realm of politics. But barely. Why just sexuality. Makes no sense. It's not rational.
Old January 30th, 2018, 11:32 PM   #16
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Quote:
I agree with both of you. I'm just not a big fan of the term fluidity. Idk why we make words up. We can't or don't have fluidity in anything else in society. It's sorta starting to enter the realm of politics. But barely. Why just sexuality. Makes no sense. It's not rational.
I guess because it's not quantifiable or otherwise easily definable? But yeah, like I kind of mentioned, it's just semantics. What we call "gender fluid," you might say Native Americans referred to as "two-spirit." Etc.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 12:11 PM   #17
azurzg
Member++

azurzg's Forum Picture

Name: Azur

Quote:
Originally Posted by max02 View Post
it deviates from the norm.
So does being very smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Your gender identity and your sexual orientation are not mental illnesses.
Let me echo this one more time. Gender identity and sexual orientation are not mental illnesses.

My gender identity is simple. I'm a boy and I've never felt a need to be anything else.

However, my sexual orientation is fluid. I am attracted to both girls and boys. There have been times in my life when I was attracted to only girls, there was a brief period of my life when I though I was mostly attracted to boys. Right now, I like both about the same.

Posts merged, use the multi quote button next time. ~Mars

Last edited by Mars; January 31st, 2018 at 01:45 PM.
azurzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 06:04 PM   #18
Southern_Cheer

Southern_Cheer's Forum Picture

Name: Anna May

I am not really sure what gender fluid is. My daddy always said that God made you either a man or a woman that was it.

I'm on here right now trying to figure this all out for myslef but im a little confused. Can i get some help

maybe i picked the wrong theed to start off in
Southern_Cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 06:21 PM   #19
SilverSM
Member+

SilverSM's Forum Picture

Name: Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Cheer View Post
I am not really sure what gender fluid is. My daddy always said that God made you either a man or a woman that was it.

I'm on here right now trying to figure this all out for myslef but im a little confused. Can i get some help

maybe i picked the wrong theed to start off in
Alright chica, gender fluid means that some days u feel more like a girl, others u feel like a boy. It's not a matter if you have a penis or vagina its more of what you feel mentally, at least as far as i know.

and figure yourself out, look at thread you think can help you, its not bad to ask questions.

As for if gender fluid a mental illness...

see the way i was raised it a catholic latino perspective. I personally do not agree with all the gender stuff, (transgender, gender fluid, etc) but I don't trash people who are that, and I have many friends who are those things.

I honestly don't know what i think on the matter but I feel like its more of a personality developement, the same way how. Basically I think its a mental thing but not neccessarily an illness

16 yr old Mexican, bisexual, happy to make new friends
I like running, soccer, video games, reading, listening to music, and watching Netflix.
SilverSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 01:50 AM   #20
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

No, it is a sexuality

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote