Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan
Default My Depressive Situation

Symptoms:
- I barely eat anything.
- I sleep way too much.
- I feel that my life has little or no actual value and will be forgotten shortly after my death, i.e. I have no real, lasting purpose.
- I often think about the prospect of suicide, but it is unlikely that I would ever actually do it (is that considered "suicidal"?).
- I never actually describe the reality of this situation with my psychiatrist because he'd just put me on more medication that I would then become dependent on, also feeling depressed seems like a normal formative process that should be experienced rather than supressed.
- I feel that being honest about my psychological issues would be embarassing or awkward to talk about with my family, and the fact that I know that this is not true yet still believe it makes me feel even worse.
- I ultimately feel that my constant mistakes make me socially and romantically/biologically inept, a flawed human being who cannot hold a meaningful relationship because he is an insufficient romantic partner due to lack of attractiveness and adaptability.

Please help.

Edit: I tried some psychoanalytical techniques to try to determine the overarching theme of my problem and it seems that, as I previously suspected, it is feelings of inadequacy and lack of self-confidence/self-value probably as a result of severe sexual and romantic failure; i.e. still a virgin, haven't ever had a real relationship that lasted more than a couple of months, last real relationship I had was over three years ago and only lasted less than 2 months. I determined this by using a basic situation exposure hierarchy as described https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...echniques-work here and figuring out what the relationship between my entries was.

Last edited by Microcosm; January 18th, 2018 at 01:13 AM.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 05:47 AM   #2
rioo
Nice Poster

rioo's Forum Picture

Name: Rio
Default Re: My Depressive Situation

may I ask, do you like to eat fruits? Because some fruit have more benefit for reduce stress.
rioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:02 AM   #3
azurzg
Nice Poster

azurzg's Forum Picture

Name: Azur

Hey Dan,

try to "structure" you day. You can make your own rules and follow them for a few weeks, just to see if you start feeling better.

Some examples are:
- eat something every morning within 20 minutes after you wake up (OJ/banana/cereal/egg/whatever)
- don't sleep more than 9 hours per day
- do one thing every day that makes you happy (ice-cream works for me, some people sing-out-loud, my best friend does some woodwork)
- do something outdoorsy every day (even if it just a walk) for a minimum of 30 minutes
- talk to a new person every day (even if it just for a minute)
azurzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 04:07 PM   #4
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioo View Post
may I ask, do you like to eat fruits? Because some fruit have more benefit for reduce stress.
I generally do not eat fruits, but I'd be willing to try the ones that you are referring to. What are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurzg
Hey Dan,

try to "structure" you day. You can make your own rules and follow them for a few weeks, just to see if you start feeling better.

Some examples are:
- eat something every morning within 20 minutes after you wake up (OJ/banana/cereal/egg/whatever)
- don't sleep more than 9 hours per day
- do one thing every day that makes you happy (ice-cream works for me, some people sing-out-loud, my best friend does some woodwork)
- do something outdoorsy every day (even if it just a walk) for a minimum of 30 minutes
- talk to a new person every day (even if it just for a minute)
Thank you for the advice. I am working to implement new habits into my routine so I appreciate it.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 07:33 AM   #5
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I AGree with the other posters. Diet makes a huge impact on how we feel. A balanced diet is key, eat breakfast every day. It really is the most important meal. Eat small s between meals. Healthy snacks. I keep bananas amd a jar of PB in my backpack. They go great together, and apples to. And they dont need to be kept cold

Exercise to. Even if you just do a couple miles of a good walk every day to start out with, and build up from there

I get what you say about your shrink. Ive had some not so good ones who pike pills to. I feel hes like that and you feel that way Id find a new one.

You dont need to share all of how you feel with anyone at all. But sharing with a trusted professional (perhaps a new shrink) does help. And they CANT talk to your family about anything you say to anyone unless you say ok

So theres safety there, use the support systems that are there for you bro
Eat, exercise, and sleep are all wicked important to your physical mental and emotional health

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 02:52 PM   #6
TWDjacob
Great Poster

A way I found to make my life seem more meaningful is to give my time. Volunteer somewhere like a food bank or soup kitchen, so many places need volunteers. Join a club like a reading club, a recreational sports team, a band the possibilities are endless. Not only does it get you out, it gives you purpose and you meet new people.

17 and Bi. Hopefully i answered your question! I love helping everyone with their questions and problems so feel free to message me if you need to talk!
TWDjacob is offline   Reply With Quote