Old January 16th, 2018, 02:58 PM   #1
NudistFun

NudistFun's Forum Picture

Name: Laura
Default Homeschooling

Are you homeschooled?

If so, what are your thoughts about it?

And if not, what do you think about it?

I think it is increasingly important to be aware of what our schools are teaching, and if need be, take education back into our own hands.

Hi! I'm Laura!
I'm a fun loving, curious girl from the South!

I'm brutally honest, love anything outdoors, books,
sports, volleyball, and yes, I was raised and still am a nudist!

NudistFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Stanley02
Banned

Name: Stanley
Default Re: Homeschooling

No and in most cases I disagree with it.... you lose the friendship and social skills that you would learn in actual school
Stanley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 01:12 PM   #3
NudistFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggins11 View Post
No and in most cases I disagree with it.... you lose the friendship and social skills that you would learn in actual school
I used to believe this but I have found it largely relies on how socially involved the parent gets the child.

Hi! I'm Laura!

Old January 17th, 2018, 06:05 PM   #4
Dmaxd123
Member++

my problem is the lack of requirements for the parent(s) doing the teaching

i know one family that the mother is probably/maybe qualified... one family that the family certainly isn't but is what it is
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 07:48 PM   #5
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

My stepbro is currently on exchange in the US. In his host family, almost all children are homeschooled until they turn 15/16.

However, they are free to decide whether they want to, at least if they 11 years old. Two of the younger ones at that age preferred to attend middle school.

One child continues to visit this school, or meanwhile high school, the other sibling broke off school after half a year not enjoying it.

Because of stress. And her peers behaved so strangely. And she guessed that her classmates were on a very low education level.

As far as the version of my stepbrother.

Personally, I don't think teaching my own kids would be the best choice. To a certain extent, as a parent, you'll that inevitably anyway. Maybe a whole life long.

But as a parent, I see it as my duty to prepare my child for life. Even if I was most capable of teaching people, I would only do that as a supplement or support to my kids.

School is not only a place where children accumulate knowledge over a decade, but imo view, above all, a place where they can emancipate themselves more and more from their parents with each school year and become more independent.

They can develop their social skills in dealing with their peers, older students and adults almost every day.

Even with negative experiences such as being bullied, confronted with strange worldviews of some teachers and classmates, drugs, views on sex, crime, etc., etc., a child should be able to learn to decide either for or against whatsoever.

Life can be both beautiful and cruel. And even as a child you should know this. It makes a lot of candlelight in later life, if you are prepared for it from the beginning.

It is not my job to decide which way my children are going as adults.

So it's also not my right to impose to my children my Pov on the world, or whats right or wrong. As said, as a parent I do it anyway, just by exemplifying it through living it.

The fact that I allow my children to go their own way early on doesn't necessarily mean that I allow them to experiment with everything.

Drugs, stealing, mobbing and such things aren't a negotiation topic. They have their get off fingers of such things. And if they still do illegal stuff, they'll have to learn to live with the consequences.

If they are victims, they should know that they can come to their parents at any time and rely on prejudice-free help.

Imo that's the real duty of parents. Whether or not one's own children accepts or rejects the traditions, beliefs or culture of their parents, parents, they always should know, deep inside, that they are welcome in their families, and loved, and always will get help, even when these means going through tedious processes in which even violent arguments with the parents can happen.

In my opinion, homeschooling is rather more of an instrument to form the own kids in ones own image and likeness of whatsoever, than to let them grow into independent and self-responsible individuals.

However, I also think that, just in a few cases, homeschooling can be an option to bring up the kids well educated.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

Last edited by lliam; January 18th, 2018 at 01:48 AM.
lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudistFun View Post
I used to believe this but I have found it largely relies on how socially involved the parent gets the child.
If the social interaction is with the parents, and the parents are teaching, and you live with the parents, seems to me like a narrow range of every human interactions a kid would have with adults, and no interactions with another kid their same age. Kids needa be a kid some to
Not saying home schooled is bad and not against it but kids need kid friends

Im not home schooled. But Ive been in private schools, public schools, and an institutional type of educational setting. And tbh, Id go crazy if I had to be with my parents or adults all the time

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 04:24 AM   #7
Artful
Member+

Artful's Forum Picture

Name: Gab

I am not home schooled.

Would I let my kids (if ever) be home schooled? My answer is no, but will also depend on the circumstances. If ever my kids said that they wanted to be homeschooled, then yes.

I believe that I could educate my kids at home while they are being taught formal education at school.

Being at school makes them learn way more than formal education such as socializing, finding their own identity through meeting and having relationships with other kids.

While I think it's fun to have your kid at home all the time where you can bond with them, I rather find it exciting to think about the time when my kids will get home and tell me stories about how their day went.

it's ya boi artful
i'd like to talk n' stuff

Artful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 09:06 AM   #8
NudistFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
If the social interaction is with the parents, and the parents are teaching, and you live with the parents, seems to me like a narrow range of every human interactions a kid would have with adults, and no interactions with another kid their same age. Kids needa be a kid some to
Not saying home schooled is bad and not against it but kids need kid friends

Im not home schooled. But Ive been in private schools, public schools, and an institutional type of educational setting. And tbh, Id go crazy if I had to be with my parents or adults all the time
Like I said, it depends on how socially involved the parents get their kids. "With other kids" was implied.

Hi! I'm Laura!

Old January 18th, 2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Alex_Swim
Member++

Alex_Swim's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

When I lived in Atlanta, one of my street friends caused a Missing child Alert. He had been home schooled, When he started 6th grade he got up, went to the bus stop and got on the middle school bus, and went to school. Just follow one of this friends around. His mom noticed him missing, called the cops, they put out a missing Kid Alert, They found him at the middle school about 1hr later when a teacher noticed she had a extra student.

He just decided he was in middle school now he was done with home schooling. He went back home (For home schooling I guess) , but like a week later he was back @ the middle school.
Alex_Swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:49 PM   #10
Danielle17

Danielle17's Forum Picture

Name: Danielle

I have a friend who's been homeschooled and she's smart, well-adjusted, and social. I talked to her about it a lot. There are definite drawbacks but advantages as well. Her parents were very disciplined about curriculum, school hours, assignments, etc. As Laura said, if the parents are properly engaged at all levels, it works well. Sometimes I wish I had been homeschooled. But I think Laura's question is centered around a concern that we as a society need to monitor what is taught in government (i.e., "public") schools. I know children in some countries are literally taught untruths, even about world events and history. Makes ya think......

Forever
Danielle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 09:10 PM   #11
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Swim View Post
When I lived in Atlanta, one of my street friends caused a Missing child Alert. He had been home schooled, When he started 6th grade he got up, went to the bus stop and got on the middle school bus, and went to school. Just follow one of this friends around. His mom noticed him missing, called the cops, they put out a missing Kid Alert, They found him at the middle school about 1hr later when a teacher noticed she had a extra student.

He just decided he was in middle school now he was done with home schooling. He went back home (For home schooling I guess) , but like a week later he was back @ the middle school.
Guess parents should listen hard s9metkmes about stuff like that
Seems pretty normal that a middle school aged kid knows whats hes doing and can verbalize that shit

But what you say sounds not only normal but also kinda like wtf

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote