Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 11th, 2018, 06:56 AM   #1
DragonflySphere

Default Career choice

Hi. Ever since I've battled depression, my creativity has shown itself. I can plan an entire story very quickly and I love to actually write the story. I do have a question though, is it worth trying to become a writer in the future? One problem is what others think about my writing. My sister reads my stories and is surprised that a 14 year old can write a story 5000 words to 35000 words within a short amount of time and include a lot of detail and plot twists. My teachers on the other hand seem to hate this side of me. My English teacher took away one of my stories because it was too long and supposedly I put in stuff that didn't need to be there. The other problem is the possibility of my creativity going away. As I stated, my creativity has begun once my depression started. It may be possible that if my depression goes away, so does my creativity. I haven't really got anything else planned for my career in the future (yet) but I feel I should get opinions from other people. Any comments are appreciated.
DragonflySphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:10 AM   #2
rohancool

Name: Rohan
Default Re: Career choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflySphere View Post
Hi. Ever since I've battled depression, my creativity has shown itself. I can plan an entire story very quickly and I love to actually write the story. I do have a question though, is it worth trying to become a writer in the future? One problem is what others think about my writing. My sister reads my stories and is surprised that a 14 year old can write a story 5000 words to 35000 words within a short amount of time and include a lot of detail and plot twists. My teachers on the other hand seem to hate this side of me. My English teacher took away one of my stories because it was too long and supposedly I put in stuff that didn't need to be there. The other problem is the possibility of my creativity going away. As I stated, my creativity has begun once my depression started. It may be possible that if my depression goes away, so does my creativity. I haven't really got anything else planned for my career in the future (yet) but I feel I should get opinions from other people. Any comments are appreciated.
Try to focus on your writing and trust your instinct. Even if we think you do not become a writer but think like writing gives you happiness (just like hobbies) and you don't do this for any incentive. So write with full passion and in next few years time might tell you the direction you want to consider (although I cannot really comment on that since I have not hit those years yet ).

But keep working hard and don't let anyone put you down. Always keep backup plans and things might be good.
rohancool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Axrow

Axrow's Forum Picture

Name: Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflySphere View Post
Writing is great and I wish I could accomplish things that quickly. Writing is valuable and even if publishing books isn't producing a lot of money, then don't forget adapting your stories for movies can pay off. I'd love to be a moviewriter and see my ideas produced. If it's something you enjoy don't let other people bring you down. As for the depression, it is disabling at times, but you can also use it to create stuff too and so try and turn it into something useful when you feel down.
Axrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Ilove318

Ilove318's Forum Picture

Name: Nirvana

Hi! I have the exact same thing going on as you! My creativity and affinity for writing has begun to grow more with my depression. I used to want to be a doctor, but now I just want to write! My parents want me to do both, but I don't, and I just want to say, go for it!
Ilove318 is offline   Reply With Quote