Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 5th, 2018, 08:34 AM   #1
Ilove318

Ilove318's Forum Picture

Name: Nirvana
Default Change of life goals

Hi I'm new and I have a lot of things going wrong with my life right now. I'm in year 8 and I've wanted to be a doctor like my dad since year 3. Yesterday I was thinking about it and my passion for writing, which was always there, has grown. I don't want to be a doctor anymore. I want to be an author. I'm also depressed so I'm lazy, but I've never been one for hard work. All the doctors I know say it's really hard to make it, and I don't think I have it in me. I told my parents and my mum got mad and my dad was disappointed. She told me I could do both like Robin Cook? But I don't want to! I have it all planned out. I write now, have have a few thousands saved, travel the world and keep writing! My mum told me it was my laziness speaking, and to visualise perfect test scores. I told her visualisation was rubbish, and she got upset. I don't know what to do!
Ilove318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Re: Change of life goals

Who in your plan do you plan to write for?
Will you be able to afford all the traveling you wana do?
And make enough cash to live on?

Im all about following your passion
But Id take a look at the reality of doing something else, along with, writing to provide a regular paycheck

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

Well, you didn’t need to be rude to your mother, but I understand what you’re going through. My plans have altered quite a bit over the years, but I’ve always had a longing to join the military. But, my dad is really dissapointed in me about it and is really against the idea.

Your dreams are your dreams. They are your amibitions. They are yours and yours alone. I understand why you’re upset that your parents disagree, and over time they might be more open minded, but honestly, fuck all. So what if they don’t agree? So what if they don’t approve? It’s not their job. It’s not their passion. It’s hard, sure, but if you put hard work and effort into your writing and your career, you can do it. If you go out and make connections and get in the know, you can do it. If you push yourself because you’re always thinking, “This is what I wanna do. This is what I wanna do.”, then you can do it. You can go so many paths with being a writer. You could write books, all sorts of genres, you could be a journalist and work in papers or magazines, you could code, you could do all this stuff by being a writer and putting time and heart into it.

As for your laziness, DEFINITELY can relate. I lose motivation about things pretty easy, and I get easily distracted and put off track from my goals. However, I always have to remind myself, “Do I want this? Yes. Fuck yes. How do I get there? By doing X,Y,Z. Am I doing X,Y,Z now? No, probably not. Then why the fuck not?” and it usually sets me back on track. You have to push yourself. You have to make yourself work. You have to do it because no one else is going to do it for you. You have to believe in yourself and believe that you can do it because no one can believe in yourself for you. You have to follow your dreams and work hard because there are other people out there training, writing, working harder than you, who want to make it so much more than you do.

Like JT said though, and like I said earlier, writing is a hard career, just like any arts profession. Get a side job, continue saving, and follow your dreams.

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 06:54 AM   #4
Ilove318

Ilove318's Forum Picture

Thanks for all the feedback. My mum and I are on good terms now, but they still talk about what life is like as a doctor without actually addressing the issue. Anyway, I have decided to try writing a book and publishing it within this year. If it works I’ll rethink everything, if not, I’ll try doing what they said and becoming a doctor with writing as a second occupation. Again, thanks for all the help!
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:30 AM   #5
RickySparks

RickySparks's Forum Picture

Name: Roderick

Well, I don't believe you should hassle your mother over it or make her anymore upset than she already is but it is your future, not their's, so you should be able to decide on it.
RickySparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Ilove318

Ilove318's Forum Picture

Hi guys, one more question, if you take the HSC early and you font do as well as you like, can you do it again in year 12?