Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 21st, 2017, 01:11 PM   #1
hayley2003

hayley2003's Forum Picture

Name: Hayley
Default Age of consent around the world

here is a question that my teacher asked at school.

"if you were use any critiria you wanted to determine a person's ability to consent, but could not use a person's age, how would determine if they are ready to have sex?"

she asked this question because all around the world it is strictly a person's age that determines if they are ready, and legally it ranges from 11-18. in some places, it's acceptable even lower, but not legally.

she asked the question differently: "what are the factors that make a person ready?" because a girl or boy are able do it before they really ready.

she said there is no right\wrong answer. it is just individual question she wanted girls to think about. there were no boys in the class, but its probably a good question for boys too.
hayley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 02:40 PM   #2
mick01
Awesome Poster

mick01's Forum Picture

Name: Mick
Default Re: Age of consent around the world

I was young when I lost my virginity, maybe too young. But when I decided that I wanted to have sex, there was a strong mutual attraction, I knew the risks involved, I had thought about it before hand for a while, so it wasn't a casual hook up. It felt right to me and I never thought that I was doing something I shouldn't be. Probably a weak response, but it was how I thought it through.
mick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 03:35 PM   #3
ilovevt816
Banned

There are many factors that determine you are ready for sex or not.

1 age
Although age of consent ranges from 11 to 18, but a minimum age is needed to do sex. Sex in very young age, can hurt you complete physically, specially if your sex partner is very much older. Girls are physically different, maybe a girl is ready for sex at age 11, and a girl is not ready at age 19

2 birth control
you must be sure that you use a good birth control method. For better results, mix more than one method together, and never let ejaculation be inside vagina. It is better to do test sometimes.

3 HIV and other things
be sure that your sex partner has no HIV or other things. Even if he/ she is virgin, ask him/her to do test. It is better for you to do test before first sex with each partner.

4. hope
don't hope any time that your partner marry with you after sex, even if he makes you pregnant. Less than 5% of boys marry with their sex partner after sex. So consider that it is only sex for pleasure, not for other thing.

5 alternative
ask yourself why you want do sex? maybe you want do sex for some reason to get something (pleasure, love, ...). Search that what thing are alternative for doing sex.
ilovevt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 04:01 PM   #4
hayley2003

the reason my teacher said not to include age is because people developed differently, so to include 'age' assumes something is will be true for everyone between 10-20, but its not true, its just an average prediction is true sometimes.

so, she said if something is a factor related to a person age, it needs to be stated in a different way. example: "a girl should be able to..." not "a girl is age XX, therefore she can..."
Old December 22nd, 2017, 12:22 AM   #5
ilovevt816
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley2003 View Post
the reason my teacher said not to include age is because people developed differently, so to include 'age' assumes something is will be true for everyone between 10-20, but its not true, its just an average prediction is true sometimes.

so, she said if something is a factor related to a person age, it needs to be stated in a different way. example: "a girl should be able to..." not "a girl is age XX, therefore she can..."
a girl should be able to do sex without hurt, without pain, without pregnancy, without HIV, without shy, without regret, without feeling guilty, without any bad effects.
ilovevt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 02:47 AM   #6
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

If age was not a factor and both people were consenting without the influences of peer pressure or some type of drug then I don' think it is sexual assault.

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 01:56 PM   #7
Nikki_1

Name: Nicola

Here in the UK it's a little confusing, there are 3 'ages' that seem to imply consent... 16, 18 and 21 which one is actually the age of consent baffles me!!!
Nikki_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 03:33 PM   #8
zzzzzzzzzz
Banned

zzzzzzzzzz's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_1 View Post
Here in the UK it's a little confusing, there are 3 'ages' that seem to imply consent... 16, 18 and 21 which one is actually the age of consent baffles me!!!
The rules in The UK are strange. Consent is 16 (when in many other places (EG USA) it's 18. They lowered the age of same sex from 18 to 16 a number of years ago (Yeah it used to be different For a boy with a girl and a boy with a boy), yet raised the age of smoking from 16 to 18. Drinking is 18, as is gambling (except the national lottery which is 16). Driving is 17.

So you can get a girl pregnant at 16, go for a drive at 17, but wait til 18 for a drink, cigarette and an 18 rated horror movie!
zzzzzzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 05:29 PM   #9
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzzzzzzz View Post
The rules in The UK are strange. Consent is 16 (when in many other places (EG USA) it's 18. They lowered the age of same sex from 18 to 16 a number of years ago (Yeah it used to be different For a boy with a girl and a boy with a boy), yet raised the age of smoking from 16 to 18. Drinking is 18, as is gambling (except the national lottery which is 16). Driving is 17.

So you can get a girl pregnant at 16, go for a drive at 17, but wait til 18 for a drink, cigarette and an 18 rated horror movie!
It’s not all 18 in all states in the USA. It differs from state to state and what gender is involved. Strange I know. In my state age of consent for opposite sex is 16 so long at it is with someone of a similar age, one of them can’t be over 18
And there is no law about same sex age of consent yet.

But to answer the OP’s question, I think I’d base the “age” I guess on the emotional ability to handle having sex. One thing that I think is important (as like in any relationship) is communiction. That being said we’re talking about kids having sex. Under age kids making decisions. So if those kids can have a mature conversation with their parents (doesn’t mean the parents also respond maturely) but the kids are able to maturity have a conversation with their parents about sex, what’s involved, the risks, protection, etc, and the kids still want to engage in sex, then their mature enough to do so.

But does not necessarily mean that means sex with an adult

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 01:34 AM   #10
ChloeF
Member+

ChloeF's Forum Picture

Name: Chloe

Quote:

"if you were use any critiria you wanted to determine a person's ability to consent, but could not use a person's age, how would determine if they are ready to have sex?"

she asked this question because all around the world it is strictly a person's age that determines if they are ready, and legally it ranges from 11-18. in some places, it's acceptable even lower, but not legally.

she asked the question differently: "what are the factors that make a person ready?" because a girl or boy are able do it before they really ready.

she said there is no right\wrong answer. it is just individual question she wanted girls to think about. there were no boys in the class, but its probably a good question for boys too.
l thought in a lot of cultures that after a girl had her first period, she was considered old enough to have sex.
As far as a definitive point in time, that's probably as close as you'll get to an answer that's meaningful but there's so many other factors to think about too.
As for boys, as long as they're able to father children l guess it's a sign of virility and manliness so when they can ejaculate, they're ready.
ChloeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 03:11 AM   #11
hayley2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeF View Post
l thought in a lot of cultures that after a girl had her first period, she was considered old enough to have sex.
As far as a definitive point in time, that's probably as close as you'll get to an answer that's meaningful but there's so many other factors to think about too.
As for boys, as long as they're able to father children l guess it's a sign of virility and manliness so when they can ejaculate, they're ready.
i kinda think that the question is intended to get people to evaluate what those other factors are beyond just being physical able to have sex. if each person is ready at different times, what are the factors that makes a person ready? what made you ready?
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:31 AM   #12
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeF View Post

Physically yes I agree. But what about mentally emotionally and maturity level. Being able to “father” a child by how you explain it is simply being a sperm donor. But doesn’t mean they are able to BE a father. Which may be a result,or risk, of having sex, at the age of 12 or 13?

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 08:59 PM   #13
dirkdiggler

Name: Todd

Quote:

I think I was too young.. I was 15 and the girl was 14... wasn't even worth it I shoulda waited...she said it hurt really bad so didn't last long
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 09:53 PM   #14
TheMagicPotato
Member++

TheMagicPotato's Forum Picture

Name: Abraham

The age of consent in Venezuela stands at 16, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

Article 378 of the Venezuelan Constitution says: "Whoever has sexual intercourse with a person over twelve, (12) years and younger than sixteen (16), years or implements it obscene acts without their influence, guardian or settler and although it is not bound by any of the circumstances provided for in Article 374."
TheMagicPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 04:25 AM   #15
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:

I've thought about this for a while now.

I've also been meditating on how minors who commit violent enough crimes suddenly get treated as adults in court, despite them being under 18.

So I ask society double-standard much? If so why is that epistemically okay to have that double-standard? Why the switch?

To me there isn't one. You can't say under 18, for a violent crime they had the mental understanding for committing it, and then for autonomous right to have sex which isn't necessarily gonna harm someone (in some cases make love with a partner) that they don't have the legal cognition and understanding of consequences to do the latter.

So my solution is that I think society should accept a cognition test to see how in-depth a person understands and can critically address questions forcing them to think about the consequences of sex, the societal meaning of it, the biological functions and danger of it etc.

If the responses show enough mature thought and responsibility then they should legally be acknowledged as old enough to consent.

So that would be my answer to such a professor's question to address the consent issue with age not being a variable to consider.

If one lacks frontal brain lobe development, the responses on the test will be lacking. And also the test should capture those over 18, who really shouldn't have the right to consent....

---

Then you look at the #MeToo movement and you look at all the stories of people 18+ and over and abuse doesn't stop just because they have the right to consent by age.

No the real problem is misuse of leverage and power.

Specifically the use of power (usually by men) to increase the breadth of sexual conquest and experience.

What I'm gonna say is politically incorrect, but sexual assault isn't just about power, it's about a more specific expression of that power, and you see this in other species of primates as well in animal behavior.

Alpha males, take sex, as an expression of personal pride and anthropological dominance to influence the gene pool until they're dethroned from power. No other method of power expression fulfills that need. It is inherently sexual by nature, and this also explains why the statistical majority of sexual assaults happen to the young (aka: fertile).

So you have a new legal precedent regarding right to consent based on cognition and a legal test of that cognition, consent as a individual power and right, because something more legally concrete and provable in court, maybe have a symbol engraved onto a Legal form ID.

So even those 18+ can have a tool to defend them in court as well if they didn't have that stamp/symbol.

And those who don't want to take the test, don't have to, and so they can just stay legally protected all the time. Up to individual choice.

Last edited by Uniquemind; January 26th, 2018 at 04:37 AM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 01:05 PM   #16
PinkFloyd
Steve Jobs' Bitch

PinkFloyd's Forum Picture

Name: Rob

I think that overall, the best tool to use is age. No, everyone's not the same, and one person who is 15 could be more mature than someone who's 19, but instances like that aren't very common.

However, the best way to know outside of age is personality and how a person acts. Hypothetically speaking of course, If I, a person who is 20 years old met a girl for dinner at a nice place and we had intelligent conversations with each other (as in she would say that she was in her first year of college that would indirectly tell me she was 18) and then suppose one her and I had sex, only for me to somehow find out afterwards that she's actually only 15 and in ninth grade, I wouldn't necessarily feel dirty or bad because my mind believed she was 18 the whole time and nothing about her seemed immature; just a bad situation on paper. In that situation, she would have been ready for sex. Of course, I would never speak to her again, because that would be a very fucked up situation, but the truth is that she would be mature enough in that situation.

Again, I still believe the age system is perfectly fine and this idea of judging someone's personality to see if they're ready for sex is ridiculous. It sounds like I'm a fuckin pedophile sympathizer, and I assure you, I am not...

"My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." — Fred Rogers
PinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 02:04 PM   #17
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
I think that overall, the best tool to use is age. No, everyone's not the same, and one person who is 15 could be more mature than someone who's 19, but instances like that aren't very common.

However, the best way to know outside of age is personality and how a person acts. Hypothetically speaking of course, If I, a person who is 20 years old met a girl for dinner at a nice place and we had intelligent conversations with each other (as in she would say that she was in her first year of college that would indirectly tell me she was 18) and then suppose one her and I had sex, only for me to somehow find out afterwards that she's actually only 15 and in ninth grade, I wouldn't necessarily feel dirty or bad because my mind believed she was 18 the whole time and nothing about her seemed immature; just a bad situation on paper. In that situation, she would have been ready for sex. Of course, I would never speak to her again, because that would be a very fucked up situation, but the truth is that she would be mature enough in that situation.

Again, I still believe the age system is perfectly fine and this idea of judging someone's personality to see if they're ready for sex is ridiculous. It sounds like I'm a fuckin pedophile sympathizer, and I assure you, I am not...

To clarify, I think the age system flawed model, but is supported simply because it's simple to prosecute on.

It's a model of morality we've settled for. But I always aim for society to chase perfection. And as we get more advanced technology for brain scans and more advanced psychological maturity and cognition testing....I think it's time the law can narrow the "grey" area.

And you have legal issues PROVING rape in cases older than 18 as well, if another model of legal rational existed on "the right to consent", they'd have another tool to prove consent being present or not being present.
Old January 26th, 2018, 07:55 PM   #18
HardCandyGirl

HardCandyGirl's Forum Picture

Name: Dani

Quote:

I guess we all should get counselling about that, at home (I know, complicated), at school like a Sex Ed, but personalized, same way like we don't know what to study at the University.

Sorry for my English...

HardCandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 12:06 AM   #19
hayley2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post

i know you're not saying its OK for jerks to do bad things. i know what my gyn doctor has explained, and she just said people are ready at different times, and a person's age just how we track when things 'normally' happen on average. some girls feel ready sooner than others.

she kinda joked and said if it were up to her, nobody could get married before they are 25, but they could have sex together when they feel ready, but would be legally required to use protection before the age of 25 because when it comes to sex people just don't think very clear when they are doing it.

Last edited by hayley2003; January 27th, 2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:07 AM   #20
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
i know you're not saying its OK for jerks to bad things. i know what my gyn doctor has explained, and she just said people are ready at different times, and a person's age just how we track when things 'normally' happen on average. some girls feel ready sooner than others.

she kinda joked and said if it were up to her, nobody could get married before they are 25, but they could have sex together when they feel ready, but would be legally required to use protection before the age of 25 because when it comes to sex people just don't think very clear when they are doing it.
People don't really take the time to analyze their believe systems, the belief systems that get pushed on them by their culture and either adopted or rejected by them as they grow, within the context of peer pressure, and later objective action consequences.

At an average best, I see humanity do it's most soul searching in the teen years, get overwhelmed, and then they stop taking personal-philosophical exploration in trade for surface pleasures that social media and pop-culture provide.

I do think an intellectual and spiritual renaissance is in order.

I am appreciative of your teacher's little thought exercise.