Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old December 15th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Jilly

Name: Jill
Default Being in to cars "Not Feminine" WTF??

Okay, well first of all, I don't yet drive, but just the same I have always had an interest in cars. To me being able to work on a car just seems really kind of badass, especially in this day and age where people call a car mechanic to change a lightbulb.

It has always just been an interest to me. I read about it and spend some time watching youtube videos and stuff on doing stuff to cars. It's not like I am an expert, but it is something I think is fun.

Last year, I asked my dad if I could change the oil on the car. He said "I guess, but are you really sure you know what you are doing?" I said of course, and that's what I did. we had to buy ramps to put the car up and we had to buy an oil filter wrench, but I did it and it gave me a feeling of accomplishment.

Since then I'd done a few little things, like put in washer fluid and changed out tail lights. You can laugh, because those are such minor things but I did them and I liked it. I want to do more and I am going to take a class in auto shop.

So this is cool right?

Well, for some reason a bunch of my friends (mostly girls, btw.) have said that it's not feminine and not girly to do that. They gave me some really negative comments when I posted pics of me covered in dirty motor oil (Happens first time you change it). Some boys have said that they think it's hot that a girl even has an interest in cars.

I'm surprised. It is almost 2018. why would anyone see this as a negative thing? I totally get that I'm a bit of a tomboy. I always have been. But why would my friends say negative and unflattering things about the fact that I even know how to do that?

I don't get it.
Old December 15th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #2
EvaNL
Member++

EvaNL's Forum Picture

Name: Eva
Default Re: Being in to cars "Not Feminine" WTF??

I'm totally not into cars. I just see them as a means to get from A to B.
That being said, I think it shouldn't matter if you're a guy or a girl when you're working on cars. Or on anything, for that matter. As you said, it's almost 2018.

Follow your dreams, no matter what other say. If you become a car mechanic, some people will mock you and say that it's a man's job. If you become a nanny, some other people will mock you and say that you're confirming stereotypes. You can't make everyone happy. The only person that matters to make happy is yourself.

Simply put: if you like it, do it! And if you happen to be good at it, all the better

I'm les, feel free to contact me
Old December 15th, 2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

As @EvaNL said if you like it, do it.

I agree it's sad that people still think in this sort of stereotypes. I experienced similar stuff from friends when I was younger.
Just ignore the negative comments and just do what you are happy with.
Eventually they will understand.
Old December 15th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #4
EvaNL
Member++

EvaNL's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalcourt View Post
Eventually they will understand.
And if they still don't, it's their problem, not yours!

Old December 16th, 2017, 03:48 AM   #5
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

I never understood why some professions are considered particularly male or especially feminine.

Especially in our time this shouldn't matter anymore. Long ago women have proven that they can perform the same in every field as their male counterparts.

But what I understand well is when men are getting fed up with women quotas in some jobs.

I think it's time to stop all categorical gender thinking on some jobs. Who is best for a job, should get it.

And if a male boss prefers men for jobs, that's his downside.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

Old December 16th, 2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Think thatís cool. Not cause your a girl doing this but cause your doing this
I go to a trade tech HS. And we have idk like 18-20ships to choose from. We have girls in auto tech auto body carpentry HVAC electrical etc. just like we got boys in health op, culinary, and working in the gift shop and bank and restaurant or cosmetology. Itís all a matter of what younlike and wana do. So go for it and enjoy it

Last year this girls truck broke down in the stufpdent parking lot. She got a ride to autozone bought the parts went back and tossed in a new water pump right thereís in the parking lot all by herself like it wasnít her first time. I thought that was awesome for anyone to do. So itís not all that girly so what

We all clean up good right?

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Old December 16th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #7
ska8er
VT Lover

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

In my school there is one class where
girls take a course in the basics of being
a handyman and the guys home economics.
A girl car mechanic not only is a good trade
but also Hot.
Old December 17th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #8
Jilly

I don't think I want to make a job out of being a car mechanic, but I do like cars and I like the idea that I can work on them. I like mechanics and tehnical things. I've always been a nerd.

It is fine for those who do not feel like that. I know most people don't know how to change a tire (I DO!)

I just never expected how bad my friends would react. It's basally just been girls, but some of them are viscous. They tell me it's masculine, dirty, manly and that I'm not famine.

Okay, let me quote one of their messages: "I saw your pics with dirty oil on your hands. Who wants that in a girl? Seriously, it's totally a man's job because that will give you really rough man-hands, man muscles and you won't have any curves. Plus, nobody wants that. I mean, who finds that attractive? In this day and age even guys usually hire someone to fix it. It's not attractive to be a greasemonkey, and that's true for guys but ten times as true for girls"

Why did she have to be so down and negative on it?
Old December 17th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #9
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Don't worry about what others think. If you like cars go for it. There are some guys who are not super interested in fixing cars. Some of those guys would even prefer to cook or do things which societies over the years have deemed more feminine. Knowing some basic car care would be good for everyone. Honestly though, they are going to be some guys who love cars that are going to be thrilled you love cars also just as much.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old December 17th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #10
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being interested in so called "boy things". There are plenty of female mechanics and race car drivers and other things that men are usually known for doing more. In the last 20 years woman have risen to be equals to men as it should have been years ago. Just ignore others stupidity and go on and do your thing.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
Old December 18th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #11
Harrier
Awesome Poster

Do what you want. There are tons of gender stereotypes getting broken daily. Women race car drivers, girls who wrestle, women referees in football and basketball. And more. I know a boy who crochets. Just do what you want.
Old December 19th, 2017, 02:06 AM   #12
Enter your username

Enter your username's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

Do what you want to do. Don't let your peers influence who you are and what you do. Besides, you shouldn't let the confines of traditional gender roles get to you. There is nothing right OR wrong about being feminine. So if that's who you are, that's who you are; there's NOTHING wrong with being yourself.

- Alex
I like soccer, having nerf gun wars, playing video games and climbing trees.
Old December 19th, 2017, 04:14 AM   #13
EvaNL
Member++

EvaNL's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
I don't think I want to make a job out of being a car mechanic, but I do like cars and I like the idea that I can work on them. I like mechanics and tehnical things. I've always been a nerd.

It is fine for those who do not feel like that. I know most people don't know how to change a tire (I DO!)

I just never expected how bad my friends would react. It's basally just been girls, but some of them are viscous. They tell me it's masculine, dirty, manly and that I'm not famine.

Okay, let me quote one of their messages: "I saw your pics with dirty oil on your hands. Who wants that in a girl? Seriously, it's totally a man's job because that will give you really rough man-hands, man muscles and you won't have any curves. Plus, nobody wants that. I mean, who finds that attractive? In this day and age even guys usually hire someone to fix it. It's not attractive to be a greasemonkey, and that's true for guys but ten times as true for girls"

Why did she have to be so down and negative on it?
She's jealous that you have something you feel really passionate about. But instead of saying "I wish I had something to be that passionate about!" she's putting you and your feelings down to make herself feel better. And that's total BS.
Also "nobody wants that". She doesn't know what everyone wants. She's just assuming, and she's assuming wrong. There are plenty of people who find it attractive.
Again: don't let yourself be put down by ignorant comments like that. Be yourself and do what you want to do. Your passion is what sets you apart from ordinary people. Be you and you'll thrive

Old December 19th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #14
AndrewCarmin

AndrewCarmin's Forum Picture

Hey don't listen to them, I'm a car/motorcycle enthusiast, my favorite thing to do is driving and learning vehicle control, now I'm in school learning mechanics. Anyways the point is I would love to be with a girl who was into the same thing and trust me there's plenty of other guys who would too. Not everyone is into girly girls.
Old December 20th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #15
Jilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
Some of those guys would even prefer to cook or do things which societies over the years have deemed more feminine.
I like anyone who cooks, because I like to eat LOL

I actually would like to be able to cook, but somehow I always manage to mess up the simplest recipe

My mom says that I could probably burn water.
Old December 20th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #16
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
I like anyone who cooks, because I like to eat LOL

I actually would like to be able to cook, but somehow I always manage to mess up the simplest recipe

My mom says that I could probably burn water.
haha like anything else it takes time, practice but some will always just be better at it. I am great at the grill and there are things which I can cook pretty well. I know how to do some stuff on my truck but not everything by a long shot

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old December 22nd, 2017, 04:58 PM   #17
Miss Ophelia
Member+

Miss Ophelia's Forum Picture

Name: Liv

If you are into cars and enjoy the technical side of them, then go for it and have fun.
DOnt worry about what anyone else thinks. Doesn't matter if its girly, or not. Its what you enjoy thats important.

Happily bi and (probably) turning gay.
Feel free to chat.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:02 PM   #18
PaulieJ

Name: Paul

Quote:
Okay, well first of all, I don't yet drive, but just the same I have always had an interest in cars. To me being able to work on a car just seems really kind of badass, especially in this day and age where people call a car mechanic to change a lightbulb.

It has always just been an interest to me. I read about it and spend some time watching youtube videos and stuff on doing stuff to cars. It's not like I am an expert, but it is something I think is fun.

Last year, I asked my dad if I could change the oil on the car. He said "I guess, but are you really sure you know what you are doing?" I said of course, and that's what I did. we had to buy ramps to put the car up and we had to buy an oil filter wrench, but I did it and it gave me a feeling of accomplishment.

Since then I'd done a few little things, like put in washer fluid and changed out tail lights. You can laugh, because those are such minor things but I did them and I liked it. I want to do more and I am going to take a class in auto shop.

So this is cool right?

Well, for some reason a bunch of my friends (mostly girls, btw.) have said that it's not feminine and not girly to do that. They gave me some really negative comments when I posted pics of me covered in dirty motor oil (Happens first time you change it). Some boys have said that they think it's hot that a girl even has an interest in cars.

I'm surprised. It is almost 2018. why would anyone see this as a negative thing? I totally get that I'm a bit of a tomboy. I always have been. But why would my friends say negative and unflattering things about the fact that I even know how to do that?

I don't get it.
I think it's great you are into cars and mechanics. I wouldn't know where to start if I had to change the oil. The heck with anyone that doesn't understand.
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #19
cjwall03

Name: Colin

Quote:

So this is cool right?

I don't get it.
I am really into cars too and I wish there were more girls that were into what I liked. There is a severe shortage of females in car culture, so I encourage you whole heartedly to pursue what you love and I promise you will find someone who appreciates that!
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #20
Jilly

Thanks everyone! I was thinking of giving up and unsigning myself from car classes, because I thought it would be unattractive.

The thing I still don't get is basically 90% of comments from boys say "That's awesome" but all the negative comments are from girls. It seems like girls should be the ones to be 100% for liberation of what a female can/can't do.

I want to make the point that I am no mechanic and I am not good with cars. I just try and I want to be good with them.

To me, they are a symbol of empowerment. We can go faster in a car than without a car. We can go further in a car than without a car. Just cruisin' seems like a lot of fun. Cruisin a city, at night, in summer, when it's warm... you and your car... total freedom.

Whatever, though. Not your thing? Cool. That's fine. But why you gotta rip on mine? I'm still a girl. I am still (I hope) attractive. How on earth could it make me less attractive to be a car girl? Dunno. Some people say so. Mostly other girls.

OH.... I should mention... I GOT MY PERMIT! Not my license. Not yet. I still need practice. But I got my permit. I can drive now! I have! My dad looked like he was going to die in the passenger seat, but whatever. I still drove! (Sorry dad. Yes, I know. first time is scary.)

WOOO HOOOOO!
Closed Thread