Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #1
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Inappropriate comments removed. ~Jinglebottom

Quote:
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. In a stunning conclusion to a contest that received international attention, Democrat Doug Jones is the apparent winner over Republican Roy Moore in the Senate race in this deeply conservative state, according to an NBC News projection.

It took an extraordinary alignment of events, including a sex scandal involving teenagers, for Alabamians to elect their first Democrat to the Senate in 25 years, but they triggered a political earthquake that will be felt far and wide.

With 99 percent of the vote in, Jones was leading 50-48 percent, or 673,236 votes to 652,300 votes a margin of more than 20,000.

However, Moore refused to concede Tuesday night, telling supporters in Montgomery that he may pursue a recount.

"It's not over," Moore said. "That's what we've got to do, is wait on God and have this process play out."

The current margin appears too large for an automatic recount, which is triggered under state law if the candidates are separated by less than half a percentage point, but Moore could call for a recount if he's willing to pay for one himself.

The apparent outcome was another stinging defeat for President Donald Trump, who bucked his party's congressional leadership to stage a last-minute rescue mission for Moore. And it was his second in a state he won overwhelmingly in 2016, after he tried to pull Sen. Luther Strange across the line in the GOP primary against Moore in September.

Trump responded Tuesday night on Twitter with relative magnanimity, conceding the race before Moore spoke.

...
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/20...-jones-n829011

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything

Last edited by Jinglebottom; December 13th, 2017 at 12:44 PM.
Likes: (2)
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #2
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster
 
Name: Magnus
Join Date: April 11, 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

It's indeed wonderful news and I'm glad that the people of Alabama said no to monster that Moore was proven to be. However, I'd advise to tone down the GOP and Catholic jabs since we want things to remain peaceful and civil as opposed to another major argument.
Likes: (2)
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 10:04 AM   #3
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster
 
PlasmaHam's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: The South
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Pointless jabs against groups you don't like does not help present your side as the morally righteous one. I would like to thank the mods for their appropriate actions though.

Just about everyone saw this coming. Moore was not going to win, I'm admittedly surprised it was so close. The guy should have stepped down as soon as the accusations started to roll in. Not because I'm some feminist who think that people accused of sexual assault don't deserve due-process, and not because I'm some ultra-establishment figure who want to destroy the chances of pro-Trump politicians, but because being accused of a crime, especially a sexual crime with a minor, is almost guaranteed to cost your party the election, and almost guaranteed to hurt your party's credibility.

If Roy Moore would have stepped down from the running soon after the accusations, the election would have easily been won by a Republican. But nope, his pride got in the way of logic, and now he somehow let a Democrat win the senatorial seat of one of the most conservative states in the USA. The only good thing about this is that this election was only for a half-term, so the seat will be up for election again in 2020. That means that Doug Jones, if he wants even half a chance of re-election, must be a very bi-partisan figure.
Likes: (1)
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #4
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Pointless jabs against groups you don't like does not help present your side as the morally righteous one. I would like to thank the mods for their appropriate actions though.

Just about everyone saw this coming. Moore was not going to win, I'm admittedly surprised it was so close. The guy should have stepped down as soon as the accusations started to roll in. Not because I'm some feminist who think that people accused of sexual assault don't deserve due-process, and not because I'm some ultra-establishment figure who want to destroy the chances of pro-Trump politicians, but because being accused of a crime, especially a sexual crime with a minor, is almost guaranteed to cost your party the election, and almost guaranteed to hurt your party's credibility.

If Roy Moore would have stepped down from the running soon after the accusations, the election would have easily been won by a Republican. But nope, his pride got in the way of logic, and now he somehow let a Democrat win the senatorial seat of one of the most conservative states in the USA. The only good thing about this is that this election was only for a half-term, so the seat will be up for election again in 2020. That means that Doug Jones, if he wants even half a chance of re-election, must be a very bi-partisan figure.
I was only pointing out the fact that a child molester was too much for them, but the pussy grabber that was fine. When Pussygate happen for a lot of people on here including you this was not a deal breaker. For this party sexual assault is fine as long it is done by one of their guys and with a women who is 18 or older, but consensual gay sex or child molestation that's where they draw the line.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #5
Falcons_11
VT Lover
 
Join Date: October 12, 2015
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

This was a mini-quake compared to Trump beating Clinton and winning the presidency.
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 06:18 AM   #6
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
I was only pointing out the fact that a child molester was too much for them, but the pussy grabber that was fine. When Pussygate happen for a lot of people on here including you this was not a deal breaker. For this party sexual assault is fine as long it is done by one of their guys and with a women who is 18 or older, but consensual gay sex or child molestation that's where they draw the line.
Honestly, both Republicans and Democrats find this sort of behaviour acceptable. Don't know if it's something that happens when you have so much power and wealth so you do it, or what. Just like allegations against Trump, Bill Clinton and others, this is going to be dropped and no one will go to court. I find this legal system similar to the Serbian one, where party affiliation, political power and wealth trump truth, justice and fair process.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #7
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
Honestly, both Republicans and Democrats find this sort of behaviour acceptable. Don't know if it's something that happens when you have so much power and wealth so you do it, or what. Just like allegations against Trump, Bill Clinton and others, this is going to be dropped and no one will go to court. I find this legal system similar to the Serbian one, where party affiliation, political power and wealth trump truth, justice and fair process.
The Democrats have done a lot of horrible things, but electing or widely supporting a candidate accused of rape or pedophilia is not on that list. Some of their politician have been accused while in office or after their political career was over, but I don't think they have never done what the Republicans did with their support of Roy Moore or Donald Trump.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 08:40 AM   #8
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
The Democrats have done a lot of horrible things, but electing or widely supporting a candidate accused of rape or pedophilia is not on that list. Some of their politician have been accused while in office or after their political career was over, but I don't think they have never done what the Republicans did with their support of Roy Moore or Donald Trump.
John Podesta was accused of possesing child porn when Hillary ran last year. Still, things like these make me wish that there were more parties in the US legislature. These parties changed power when one would fuck up. A rule of two essentially. Two parties which are so similar that they take the small differences which is what turns tides during election.

The alt-right can praise Trump as much as they want, but he is still a corporate shill like the rest of them.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #9
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster
 
Name: Magnus
Join Date: April 11, 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
The only good thing about this is that this election was only for a half-term, so the seat will be up for election again in 2020. That means that Doug Jones, if he wants even half a chance of re-election, must be a very bi-partisan figure.
This implies that it was all just a fluke; that Moore lost only because whites and Republicans didn't vote for him. The stats show they DID indeed vote just as much as last time (Moore overwhelmingly won the white vote) but everyone ignored the very likely possibility (and eventual reality) that predominantly black areas like Birmingham would give a huge push to the Democrat side. If the most recent elections in both the UK and US show, it's that a fatal mistake to any party is to completely forget to address a certain group just because they haven't voted in the past. If the GOP don't try and tackle the racial taboo of a black voting Republican, they will have just as much of a struggle in 2020 as Jones
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #10
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
John Podesta was accused of possesing child porn when Hillary ran last year. Still, things like these make me wish that there were more parties in the US legislature. These parties changed power when one would fuck up. A rule of two essentially. Two parties which are so similar that they take the small differences which is what turns tides during election.

The alt-right can praise Trump as much as they want, but he is still a corporate shill like the rest of them.
Is that about the conspiracy theory they ran a child-sex ring, because that as been debunked. And didn't those accusation come after the election as oppose to during the campaign and for one case against Trump before he ran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
This implies that it was all just a fluke; that Moore lost only because whites and Republicans didn't vote for him. The stats show they DID indeed vote just as much as last time (Moore overwhelmingly won the white vote) but everyone ignored the very likely possibility (and eventual reality) that predominantly black areas like Birmingham would give a huge push to the Democrat side. If the most recent elections in both the UK and US show, it's that a fatal mistake to any party is to completely forget to address a certain group just because they haven't voted in the past. If the GOP don't try and tackle the racial taboo of a black voting Republican, they will have just as much of a struggle in 2020 as Jones
Sucks for those black people they won't be able to vote in the next election. You just know they will do everything they can to prevent this from happening again and restricting those black people from voting again.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #11
Fritz
Member++
 
Fritz's Forum Picture
 
Name: Sven
Join Date: November 30, 2017
Location: US
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Would have guessed as much

Just a person who loves to play and watch sports.

Ravioli Ravioli Give Me the Formuoli
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #12
DriveAlive
Great Poster
 
DriveAlive's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 2, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

I am glad that Jones won but I wish it was not such a nail-biter. I am happy that the #MeToo movement has gained so much steam in the country and people seem to be holding men accountable.

19 | Vegan | Bisexual | Republican

Here is my AMA thread, please ask me anything!
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh....php?t=2030289
DriveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 03:26 AM   #13
Danieldv77
Junior Member+
 
Join Date: October 18, 2016
Location: Not disclosing this
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Doug Jones himself is more of a moderate than a democrat. Being myself a moderate that slightly favors a republican side, i'm relatively happy as to this choice. I'm not going to say that race has anything to do with it, because that's clearly not the case. Roy Moore should have stepped down (Or been pushed down, IDK) and let someone more competent take his place in the race. Regardless of the sexual assault/harassment allegations, (May or may not be true, I personally don't care either way) he was unfit for office to begin with, as his track record of stupidity is rather long.
Likes: (1)
Danieldv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:48 AM   #14
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Cedrick
Join Date: December 14, 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

I think that eventually Trump winning the election will turn into a major victory for democrats.

Republicans currently have the President, House, and Senate but they aren't being productive because they can't agree on very much. Because Trump's approval rating is so low, all of these will be won by the Democrats. When they can agree on most issues they will get a lot accomplished and form the strongest government the USA has seen in years.


Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #15
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster
 
Name: Magnus
Join Date: April 11, 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
I think that eventually Trump winning the election will turn into a major victory for democrats.

Republicans currently have the President, House, and Senate but they aren't being productive because they can't agree on very much. Because Trump's approval rating is so low, all of these will be won by the Democrats. When they can agree on most issues they will get a lot accomplished and form the strongest government the USA has seen in years.
It's just how an election cycle works: everyone gets their hopes up for a party thanks to election promises and so, when the party can no longer fulfill all those promises in government, the public votes against them in senate elections. The Republicans held both houses during Obama's term and the Dems held a majority quite a few times under Bush. That's because all the non-governing party has to do is criticise the current government to be popular whilst an acting government has the harder job of actually doing things.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #16
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster
 
PlasmaHam's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: The South
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
I think that eventually Trump winning the election will turn into a major victory for democrats.

Republicans currently have the President, House, and Senate but they aren't being productive because they can't agree on very much. Because Trump's approval rating is so low, all of these will be won by the Democrats. When they can agree on most issues they will get a lot accomplished and form the strongest government the USA has seen in years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
It's just how an election cycle works: everyone gets their hopes up for a party thanks to election promises and so, when the party can no longer fulfill all those promises in government, the public votes against them in senate elections. The Republicans held both houses during Obama's term and the Dems held a majority quite a few times under Bush. That's because all the non-governing party has to do is criticise the current government to be popular whilst an acting government has the harder job of actually doing things.
Unfortunate cycle of governance, yes. Political party promises some changes if their guys win, but then realize after their election that change is actually quite hard to enact in government. The opposing party then claims that the majority party is filled with hypocrites and liars, and in the next election cycle that party gains power, and the cycle continues. That's why recently you've started to see pushes from both sides of the political spectrum to get new voices in Congress, as they claim that the existing ones are stuck in this cycle of inaction.

You have seen this with the GOP over the last year or so, like them failing to pass an Obamacare Repeal bill after multiple attempts. But I think some recent developments, like the tax reform bill and the Israeli embassy move have restored some confidence in the GOP-lead government. But if this continues or not, that is the real question.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 01:12 AM   #17
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Cedrick
Join Date: December 14, 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
It's just how an election cycle works: everyone gets their hopes up for a party thanks to election promises and so, when the party can no longer fulfill all those promises in government, the public votes against them in senate elections. The Republicans held both houses during Obama's term and the Dems held a majority quite a few times under Bush. That's because all the non-governing party has to do is criticise the current government to be popular whilst an acting government has the harder job of actually doing things.
I think that calling it a cycle is misleading. We don't always have a party in the oval office and (not) in the senate or the house. You also can't say that in 30 years from now it will be like _____. This is a particularly disliked president like the USA has never seen before so we don't know how long lasting any damage will be to his party.


Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #18
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster
 
Name: Magnus
Join Date: April 11, 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
I think that calling it a cycle is misleading. We don't always have a party in the oval office and (not) in the senate or the house. You also can't say that in 30 years from now it will be like _____. This is a particularly disliked president like the USA has never seen before so we don't know how long lasting any damage will be to his party.
I think you demonstrate a major issue that is rising in both sides of the spectrum: thinking Trump is something special. Whether it's the Right thinking he's a major messiah that will solve their issues for good or the Left thinking he's some Satanic figure of evil, both sides think he's gonna shake things up majorly. He's not. He's just the same as every other president has been: same wars, same fuck-ups, same pandering to a naive base. This was something that both Dems and Republicans have been like for the past couple hundred years and will continue to be like because that's just politics.

As I said in another topic, nothing major really happens in political history without some sort of major world event to cause it. The second major political party in Britain was only wiped out thanks to WW1. The Republican party only rose to great prominance due to the Civil war and the issues surrounding it. People fear change and so that locks us in an endless cycle until an outside event forces that change upon us.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #19
tsman
Member
 
Name: Tristan
Join Date: April 4, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
I think you demonstrate a major issue that is rising in both sides of the spectrum: thinking Trump is something special. Whether it's the Right thinking he's a major messiah that will solve their issues for good or the Left thinking he's some Satanic figure of evil, both sides think he's gonna shake things up majorly. He's not. He's just the same as every other president has been: same wars, same fuck-ups, same pandering to a naive base. This was something that both Dems and Republicans have been like for the past couple hundred years and will continue to be like because that's just politics.

As I said in another topic, nothing major really happens in political history without some sort of major world event to cause it. The second major political party in Britain was only wiped out thanks to WW1. The Republican party only rose to great prominance due to the Civil war and the issues surrounding it. People fear change and so that locks us in an endless cycle until an outside event forces that change upon us.
I think this is true to some extent, however the divide between parties has certainly grown, and I think this is preventing work from being done. Certainly Obama faced this same issue, but I think that Trump is only making the issue worse by alienating people on both sides of the aisle.
tsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #20
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Cedrick
Join Date: December 14, 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
I think you demonstrate a major issue that is rising in both sides of the spectrum: thinking Trump is something special. Whether it's the Right thinking he's a major messiah that will solve their issues for good or the Left thinking he's some Satanic figure of evil, both sides think he's gonna shake things up majorly. He's not. He's just the same as every other president has been: same wars, same fuck-ups, same pandering to a naive base. This was something that both Dems and Republicans have been like for the past couple hundred years and will continue to be like because that's just politics.

As I said in another topic, nothing major really happens in political history without some sort of major world event to cause it. The second major political party in Britain was only wiped out thanks to WW1. The Republican party only rose to great prominance due to the Civil war and the issues surrounding it. People fear change and so that locks us in an endless cycle until an outside event forces that change upon us.
I disagree that Trump is like any other President but this isn't the post to debate it under. This is about Doug Jones winning the Senate race so I'll let everyone stay on topic.


Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org