Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 1st, 2017, 03:26 PM   #1
crazyjazy02
Junior Member+

crazyjazy02's Forum Picture

Name: Leanne
Default My best friend

My best friend lately has been self harming. I've told her that she's amazing and that I couldn't live without her, but even when I try to help her, it doesn't help. When I tell her to stop, she laughs and continues.She also show the scars to other people and tells them to keep it secret. I don't know if she's doing it for a reason or if she's doing it for attention.
crazyjazy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Re: My best friend

I may be wrong here, but I think that showing people and asking to keep it a secret is kinda an attention seeking. And laughing when you ask her to stop I think is like saying she probably cant and believes you cant stop her

Id just be her friend. Offer support only when its needed. And just be there for her. Make sure she knows that.

But Im pretty sure others here can offer more help than I did

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #3
InDarkerLight

Name: McKinley Kay

Idk what it is but its probably best to show her how much it can affect her later in life, looks, getting a job, ect. This will probably be the best because if she does stop, good, if she doesn't, it's an addiction. Then you will know just what it is. Tbh she might have started for attention but it could be different now.

Been scared of the future, thinking about the past, while missing out on now.
16. Vegetarian.
InDarkerLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #4
Kaeneus

Kaeneus's Forum Picture

Name: Lawrence

The thing to do to get her to stop, Honestly, is to threaten to tell an adult. Or actually tell an adult.
Kaeneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #5
LunaHermione

LunaHermione's Forum Picture

Name: Amy

Don't threaten to tell an adult or tell an adult to get her to stop. Only do that if you think her life is in danger. Because threatening that stuff could make the whole situation worse. The best thing you can do is be there for her, let her know you care about her. Maybe try telling her to call or text you first if she feels like hurting herself. Talking could help her. Show her the alternatives to self harm, such as squeezing ice, flicking her wrist with an elastic band, drawing lines on her arm with a red marker, the butterfly project etc. And honestly if you think she is doing all this for attention, then just give it to her. Because if she feels she's being ignored it could esculate.

My wish to die is as pervasive as a dial tone; You lift the reciever, it's always there.
LunaHermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #6
crazyjazy02
Junior Member+

crazyjazy02's Forum Picture

Name: Leanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaHermione View Post
Don't threaten to tell an adult or tell an adult to get her to stop. Only do that if you think her life is in danger. Because threatening that stuff could make the whole situation worse. The best thing you can do is be there for her, let her know you care about her. Maybe try telling her to call or text you first if she feels like hurting herself. Talking could help her. Show her the alternatives to self harm, such as squeezing ice, flicking her wrist with an elastic band, drawing lines on her arm with a red marker, the butterfly project etc. And honestly if you think she is doing all this for attention, then just give it to her. Because if she feels she's being ignored it could esculate.
Two years ago, a girl committed suicide at our school, and was on the brink of death. She had overdosed on so many pills and cut herself. All because a teacher found out that she was using kitchen knives to cut herself in school. And my friend's a bit like that girl. They are both attention seekers, and when things don't go their way, they will make it.
I don't want her to hurt herself because I did something against her will, but I also want to tell a teacher because it's just getting out of hand.
crazyjazy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:20 AM   #7
gdude

I had a friend that self harmed, the best way to help is by making them feel needed
gdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 11:00 AM   #8
Juliarules832
Nice Poster

Name: Julia

Well be there for her. Let her know she is loved.

13 year old girl from Massachusetts. Feel free to message me about anything!
Juliarules832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Trxsta

I can relate to what appears to be her side in the story as people can't help or it doesn't feel that way at least. Like other people have said, just try and be there to support her when she needs you. I feel so guilty because my friend has just started and I feel like if i hadn't then she wouldn't have. All I can do is support her and that's the same for you.
Trxsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 11:49 AM   #10
Bleppo

Bleppo's Forum Picture

Name: Eli

I have a best friend exactly like this too but even if it may partly be for attention i think the worst thing to do there is dismiss her as only attention seeking because in the case of my friend, she had a really toxic homelife. For her it was a cry for someone to help her and luckily a lotta people did, so id say just be accepting in every way you can and refraim from judging before you know the whole story

Im very bored all the time, mesage me if you are also bored all the time
Bleppo is offline   Reply With Quote