Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 26th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #1
ACDCFAN

Lightbulb Have questions about private school? Ask away!

After attending private school and now trying public, ask anything youíve always wanted to know about the ďother sideĒ of education.
ACDCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #2
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Default Re: Have questions about private school? Ask away!

What's one false stereotype about private school student body that is false and you'd like to correct, and one positive stereotype about private school you'd confirm is true.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 01:05 AM   #3
ACDCFAN

False: All the kids are wealthy. A portion of kids are often on either scholarships (because they are really really smart) and or state tax credits / school choice. But do know that the parents that pay full price, often pay a lot in tuition. Don’t be shocked to hear: “Guys what we did.” or “Guess what I got”

True: Most (if not all) of the students are white. Having said that, yes, you get a black kid here and there but... let me tell you, that’s rare.
On a final note. Know that you can be kicked out of the school AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON and you need to be able to blend with the student body. Some kids (that are respectfully categorized as public school kids) just really don’t “fit in” with any part of the school. 99% of the time, we can tell when a public school kid enters, just by the way he/she talks or displays himself / herself. If you want me to go into more detail, not a problem at all (I just didn’t want to bombard you)
Old November 30th, 2017, 12:38 AM   #4
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Elaborate more on the last paragraph about blending in, and successes and failures of that.

What specific key behaviors make public school kids more noticeable.

So it seems true that public school kids are less academic than private ones?

The stereotype I see are private kids seem to be able to reference philosophers and ancient roman and Greek history better than public school ones. True/false?
Old November 30th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #5
ACDCFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Elaborate more on the last paragraph about blending in, and successes and failures of that.

What specific key behaviors make public school kids more noticeable.

So it seems true that public school kids are less academic than private ones?

The stereotype I see are private kids seem to be able to reference philosophers and ancient roman and Greek history better than public school ones. True/false?
Iíll gladly elaborate more!

Some of the most noticeable things:
  • Are your shirt and pants clean?
  • What shirt are you wearing? Doesnít have a collar?
  • When you shake hands, which hand do you shake with?
  • Are your socks clean and appropriate? White black socks only.
  • How are you greeting the teacher?
  • Are you actively engaged in the class/lesson?
  • How well are you able to think outside the box and willing to go the extra mile for that project or question of the day?
  • Are you collaborating with other students?
  • Are you able to explain everything you did step-by-step? Would you be able to teach the class?
  • During the lesson, how are you taking notes? How are you determining what note is relevant?
Above are some of the key things. List #2 will focus on ďgood to haveĒ things
A key reminder, private school wear uniform so dress code is incredibly important as you are representing the school and yourself.

List #2
  • Are you able to do research on your own?
  • Do you have the motivation and ability to work backwards to better understand the topic question? (found in the lesson)
  • How good is your spelling
  • Foreign languages?
  • Kindness and sympathy for others?
  • Time management
  • Are you willing to sacrifice certain things for higher grade? (Stay after school and work on your assignments)
  • Teambuilding skills
  • Working in groups
  • Ability to lead a lesson
  • Ability to tutor a student
  • Be able to take, give and apply constructive criticism.
  • Ability to follow directions and authority
Of course you always need to have a positive outlook and a good attitude about the school, the people, the community. BULLYING IS NOT TOLERATED. Remember your shirt has the schools name on it, be careful where you wear it and what you are doing. The ďI DONíT CAREĒ attitude is NEVER tolerated.

I wouldnít say that PS (private school) kids are smarter. Some people attend private School to get more help and because of smaller class sizes. We do go very deep into certain subjects through. Learning things like the industrial revolution, everything about it. From front to back and back to front. PS focuses more on its not just a grade, itís the knowledge behind it. The teachers care more (my opinion) and actually teach (not just give you page numbers to read or worksheets). PS teachers get to the know you (on a private personal level) and are there for you to succeed and help you in any way they can.

ONE MAJOR DIFFERENCE: discipline/punishment; in my opinion itís an absolute joke in public school. Swearing, rudeness, disrespect towards anyone is not tolerated at all. The teacher will punish you by calling your parents, dropping your condo great and or giving you whatís called a punishment report. Any sort of ďplaying aroundĒ during ďseriousĒ times will cause consequences. Everything (such as PE) can be revoked or ďskippedĒ. Going to play outside (Gym, PE, whatever) is a privilege. We can usually tell the difference between a PS or public school kid with the things I listed above and just overall how they speak.

Please let me know if you want more or have any further questions/comments
Old December 5th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #6
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Although bullying is not tolerated as a school policy, I still feel a lot of school bullying still occurs with the most wealthy parents, paying-off the school to ignore some instances of their child behaving badly.

This does occur or is that a myth?
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #7
Fritz
Member++

Fritz's Forum Picture

Name: Sven

Dude thats like never happened from where ive gone, and that was in two different countries

Just a person who loves to play and watch sports.

Ravioli Ravioli Give Me the Formuoli
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #8
ACDCFAN

Cool Re: Have questions about private school? Ask away!

Quote:
Although bullying is not tolerated as a school policy, I still feel a lot of school bullying still occurs with the most wealthy parents, paying-off the school to ignore some instances of their child behaving badly.

This does occur or is that a myth?
Not at the two places I attended. It does depend on just how wealthy you really are. If Mom and Dad donate a building (which happens, believe it or not!) then, the school will be “easier” on that kid. However, don’t forget that people can always run to the news and give them something for the 5PM newscast! Regardless, physical bullying (physical contact, pushing, punching etc.) is NEVER tolerated. Verbal.... you might be able to slide. By no means would I say though that you can pay the school or the person to keep quiet....

Don’t forget, it’s $$$ vs $$$ and news in the private school world... travels FAST.

Between the schools I’ve attended, private handles it MUCH better.
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #9
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Ah so when you say bullying, a distinction is made between physical and verbal bullying.

This was opaque about bullying in your original post.

What of gossip bullying then in the modern era like slut and social shaming (social isolation) and where illicit pictures and stories are shared digitally and on social media?

Is bullying of that nature given a "slide" especially in the context of wealthy pedigree?
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #10
ACDCFAN

Quote:
Ah so when you say bullying, a distinction is made between physical and verbal bullying.

This was opaque about bullying in your original post.

What of gossip bullying then in the modern era like slut and social shaming (social isolation) and where illicit pictures and stories are shared digitally and on social media?

Is bullying of that nature given a "slide" especially in the context of wealthy pedigree?
To be clear, are you referring to cyber bullying?
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #11
ACDCFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Dude thats like never happened from where ive gone, and that was in two different countries
Thx for the input!
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:27 AM   #12
Fritz
Member++

Fritz's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDCFAN View Post
Thx for the input!
Sorry mate

Old December 7th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #13
ACDCFAN

Quote:
Sorry mate
Sorry for? I really did appreciate your input
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #14
Fritz
Member++

Fritz's Forum Picture

Quote:
Sorry for? I really did appreciate your input
Oh ok then

Old December 8th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #15
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Yes essentially but also tradition gossip through word of mouth too.
Old December 9th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #16
ACDCFAN

Quote:
Yes essentially but also tradition gossip through word of mouth too.
Cyber bullying never happened (because of the whole “what goes on the Internet stays on the Internet” gossip wasn’t really an issue as the kids were fairly straight up and confronted you or mentioned/asked whatever they wanted to know. Rumors are stopped quickly by teachers and administrators. “Say what you gotta say and if you don’t feel comfortable saying it to the persons face, or it’s not something nice, don’t say it.” Should it not be stopped at the school, parents will 99% of the time contact our principal(s) who again were VERY involved in everything we did.
If the teacher talks to you about it... don’t worry really, if it goes to the principal.... I hope you have a good track record for behavior!
Old December 10th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #17
Just Tim
Nice Poster

Just Tim's Forum Picture

Name: Timothy

You say you are in public school now, whats your grade, and what do you think of public schools?
Just Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:53 PM   #18
ACDCFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timd9 View Post
You say you are in public school now, whats your grade, and what do you think of public schools?
So sorry for replying late! Classes have kept me busy (and Iím planning a vacation.)

Honestly? Iím upset and disappointed. Some of my teachers tie my hands (the saying) and force me to take things to the next level. Some teachers donít care about students or teaching. After getting a custom schedule, with teachers that actually teach, care, want me to succeed, it has changed my outlook dramatically. Iíll be honest, I lost all my joy of going to school when I joined public school. I had difficult teachers that were simply there for the paycheck and not for the student. After attending multiple public schools I have to say, I feel really really bad for the kids that didnít have the privilege I did to go to private school. Those that want to learn.... are basically challenged every day. Thankfully, my dad spoke with people of the school and they now understand that they canít just throw me around. I know I canít run to daddy for everything... but..... when I say something and itís pushed aside... and itís important.... I have no choice. By now, the administration, office staff, teachers, everyone..... knows who I am

The way public school is designed from top to bottom is broken. If I have a kid and I can afford to send him or her to private school, I will.
Without my dad stepping in... I do not know where I would be.

Overall grade- D
After my dad stepped in- B+
My overall grade is what I would give the school if I didnít have my dad. The ďrealĒ experience. Again, sorry for the late reply.

Feel free to ask anything you want
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:38 AM   #19
Fritz
Member++

Fritz's Forum Picture

Quote:
So sorry for replying late! Classes have kept me busy (and Iím planning a vacation.)

Honestly? Iím upset and disappointed. Some of my teachers tie my hands (the saying) and force me to take things to the next level. Some teachers donít care about students or teaching. After getting a custom schedule, with teachers that actually teach, care, want me to succeed, it has changed my outlook dramatically. Iíll be honest, I lost all my joy of going to school when I joined public school. I had difficult teachers that were simply there for the paycheck and not for the student. After attending multiple public schools I have to say, I feel really really bad for the kids that didnít have the privilege I did to go to private school. Those that want to learn.... are basically challenged every day. Thankfully, my dad spoke with people of the school and they now understand that they canít just throw me around. I know I canít run to daddy for everything... but..... when I say something and itís pushed aside... and itís important.... I have no choice. By now, the administration, office staff, teachers, everyone..... knows who I am

The way public school is designed from top to bottom is broken. If I have a kid and I can afford to send him or her to private school, I will.
Without my dad stepping in... I do not know where I would be.

Overall grade- D
After my dad stepped in- B+
My overall grade is what I would give the school if I didnít have my dad. The ďrealĒ experience. Again, sorry for the late reply.

Feel free to ask anything you want
How old are ya? I know my father can be menacing, especially with the friends he made with the public school board.

Old December 14th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #20
ACDCFAN

Quote:
How old are ya? I know my father can be menacing, especially with the friends he made with the public school board.
Junior in High-School. Donít wish to say age