Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old November 15th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #1
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt
Default Australians Vote In Favour of Same Sex Marriage

To answer your first question, no same sex marriage is not legal in Australia. I would like to welcome them to 2005.

The Australian government is looking to legalization by Christmas so what a few gay people will be getting for Christmas this year.

Quote:
Australians have overwhelmingly voted in favour of legalising same-sex marriage in a historic poll.
The non-binding postal vote showed 61.6% of people favour allowing same-sex couples to wed, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said.
Jubilant supporters have been celebrating in public spaces, waving rainbow flags and singing and dancing.
The issue only went to a voluntary postal vote after a long and bitter debate about changing the law.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said his government would now aim to pass legislation in parliament by Christmas.
"[Australians] have spoken in their millions and they have voted overwhelmingly yes for marriage equality," Mr Turnbull said after the result was announced.
"They voted yes for fairness, yes for commitment, yes for love."

The result on Wednesday brings an end to what was at times a heated campaign. The vote itself had been criticised by same-sex marriage supporters, many of whom said it was unnecessary when parliament could debate the issue directly.

How did the vote unfold?
The survey was voluntary, unlike Australia's compulsory elections.
More than 12.7 million people - about 79.5% of eligible voters - took part in the eight-week poll, which asked one question: "Should the marriage law should be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?"
The Yes campaign argued that it was a debate about equality. The No campaign put the focus on the definition of family, raising concerns about how issues like gender will be taught in schools.

What were the results?
Australia's chief statistician David Kalisch said about 7.8 million people voted in support of same-sex marriage, with approximately 4.9 million against it.
He said participation was higher than 70% in 146 of Australia's 150 electorates. All but 17 electorates supported changing the law.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41992344

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 04:04 AM   #2
LITTLEANGEL18
Awesome Poster

LITTLEANGEL18's Forum Picture

Name: Angela - Angie
Default Re: Australians Vote In Favour of Same Sex Marriage

Hello, everyone, I just was just going to make a new thread (but this thread was already here) I wanted to say it's GREAT NEWS that the good people of Australia for voting for SAME-SEX MARRIAGE.
I AM JUST SO HAPPY FOR ALL SAME-SEX COUPLES IN OZ. (and everywhere)
XX

**** No Profile - No Posts - DONT Send Friend Request ****

**** BE NAKED - BE FREE ****

**** SMOOTH IS BEST ****
**** TAKE CARE EVERYONE ****
**** LEZ GIRL 18 ****

Last edited by LITTLEANGEL18; November 15th, 2017 at 04:10 AM.
LITTLEANGEL18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #3
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

I think it's wonderful that Australia has shown preference in marriage equality in this vote but I'd also warn not to get too cocky: this non a NON-BINDING poll and so won't guarantee that the subsequent bill will be as positive as we hope. After all, the proposed conditions of the bill (back when it was still in in 'if' stage) weren't too well received due to the complicated nature of appeasing both camps.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Katie96xox
Member+

Name: Katie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
I think it's wonderful that Australia has shown preference in marriage equality in this vote but I'd also warn not to get too cocky: this non a NON-BINDING poll and so won't guarantee that the subsequent bill will be as positive as we hope. After all, the proposed conditions of the bill (back when it was still in in 'if' stage) weren't too well received due to the complicated nature of appeasing both camps.
If you're referring to the conservative wing of the Liberal Party pushing for religious liberty exemptions, I'm more than happy to cop that if it means we finally get marriage rights. The PM has flat out rejected the bill with hard religious liberty exemptions put forward by the conservative wing and James Patterson (who supports gay marriage). They're going to go with Dean Smith's bill from the moderate wing, which currently doesn't have any religious liberty exemptions. They'll probably add a few soft exemptions in there during the amendments to please the conservatives but nothing major. It will pass easily with around 140 votes in the House of Reps with the remaining 10~ MPs voting no or abstaining. Same sort of thing will happen in the Senate. So nothing to worry about.

20 years old, female, feel free to message me at any time about anything. i'm always up for a chat
Katie96xox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #5
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie96xox View Post
If you're referring to the conservative wing of the Liberal Party pushing for religious liberty exemptions, I'm more than happy to cop that if it means we finally get marriage rights. The PM has flat out rejected the bill with hard religious liberty exemptions put forward by the conservative wing and James Patterson (who supports gay marriage). They're going to go with Dean Smith's bill from the moderate wing, which currently doesn't have any religious liberty exemptions. They'll probably add a few soft exemptions in there during the amendments to please the conservatives but nothing major. It will pass easily with around 140 votes in the House of Reps with the remaining 10~ MPs voting no or abstaining. Same sort of thing will happen in the Senate. So nothing to worry about.
What does religious liberty have to do with this? They realize it's just going to be an option they won't actually be required to suck a dick? It's not like those anti-gay over religious politicians aren't doing it already anyway.

Quote:
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
Old November 16th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Name: Stephen

Just a personal opinion. I think now that the vote has happened, that this should proceed. That's how democracy works. But in that you have to remember that more than a third of the country voted no, so I think it's reasonable to have protection for those people within reason. I don't think that it's unreasonable for people that provide elements of marriage services to be exempt from anti discrimination claims based on conscience and religion beliefs. An extension of that, that some of wanting is unreasonable in my opinion. I've added a vid of how the commercial tv networks told the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efbCVZQB9KQ

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
~Jessi should have been here~
Gumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #7
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumleaf View Post
Just a personal opinion. I think now that the vote has happened, that this should proceed. That's how democracy works. But in that you have to remember that more than a third of the country voted no, so I think it's reasonable to have protection for those people within reason. I don't think that it's unreasonable for people that provide elements of marriage services to be exempt from anti discrimination claims based on conscience and religion beliefs. An extension of that, that some of wanting is unreasonable in my opinion. I've added a vid of how the commercial tv networks told the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efbCVZQB9KQ
The same debate had been happening in the US since they legalized same sex marriage, the answer is simple if you work in the wedding business, but you want to refuse to serve gay people because that's what Jesus wants that is your right, but you need to accept that if you refuse to serve gay people you're gonna need to find a new job.

Quote:
Old November 17th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #8
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
The same debate had been happening in the US since they legalized same sex marriage, the answer is simple if you work in the wedding business, but you want to refuse to serve gay people because that's what Jesus wants that is your right, but you need to accept that if you refuse to serve gay people you're gonna need to find a new job.
This isn't a debate thread, so I'm not doing any troll debates here, but Gumleaf does have a legitimate point. A substantial percentage of Australians do oppose same-sex marriage on a moral level. To force the populace to participate in something they find morally wrong, as suggested here, would alienate the populace and create even more hatred, nevermind its serious moral implications. Or we could say the population has a choice in the matter, to avoid alienation and most moral issues, and the cost of a slight inconvenience towards those who want to put together a gay wedding. Your dismissal of this is a serious misunderstanding of the issue at hand, guided it seems moreso by a chance to push an agenda rather than actually address an issue.

Last edited by Voice_Of_Unreason; November 17th, 2017 at 01:57 AM.
Voice_Of_Unreason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #9
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
This isn't a debate thread, so I'm not doing any troll debates here, but Gumleaf does have a legitimate point. A substantial percentage of Australians do oppose same-sex marriage on a moral level. To force the populace to participate in something they find morally wrong, as suggested here, would alienate the populace and create even more hatred, nevermind its serious moral implications. Or we could say the population has a choice in the matter, to avoid alienation and most moral issues, and the cost of a slight inconvenience towards those who want to put together a gay wedding. Your dismissal of this is a serious misunderstanding of the issue at hand, guided it seems moreso by a chance to push an agenda rather than actually address an issue.
First Im not trying to start a pointless debate I'm just explaining to him that issue is being debated else where.

Second, refusing to give equal rights to an entire portion of the population is not really a moral thing to do. Just say the real reasons like religion or being scared of their own homosexuality. Also a portion of the population still oppose this and even though they lost we should still do what they want is not how a vote on a yes or no question works, The side that get 50% plus 1 or more, wins and get what they voted for.

In any other industries, in any other situation, if you refuse to do your job for whatever reason, it is your right, but you need to deal with the consequences which is losing your job. There is no reason the wedding industry should be exempted from that. A great majority of Australian people are in favour of marriage equality they should get it with no exceptions and no ''protection'' to allow people who are against it to keep discriminate against gay people because that's what Jesus would want. The Bible says as a man you shall not have sex with another man. Those people can still follow that if they want with out discriminating against gay people. Marriage equality does not force them to engage in gay sex against their will, that's just a fantasy.

Quote:
Old November 18th, 2017, 04:16 AM   #10
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

If I'm being honest i thought that it would be even further apart. Nice to hear of some progressive news for a change.

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 05:08 AM   #11
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
If I'm being honest i thought that it would be even further apart. Nice to hear of some progressive news for a change.
Marriage equality was progressive news 5 years ago now its more in the categories of what took you so long and wait its still not legal news.

Quote:
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:12 AM   #12
Living For Love
Live To Tell

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
[...] but you need to accept that if you refuse to serve gay people you're gonna need to find a new job.
Lol no xD

This was a non-binding poll, so as far as I'm aware, the government doesn't need to act according to the results, although it would be nice if they actually ended up legalising same-sex marriage because, whether they like it or not, that's what most people want. My only issue with gay marriage is when the Church is forced to marry gay couples, but then again, what kind of gay couple would want a religious marriage without being labelled fascist by the LGBT community? Not too many...

Retired H&A Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #13
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living For Love View Post
Lol no xD

This was a non-binding poll, so as far as I'm aware, the government doesn't need to act according to the results, although it would be nice if they actually ended up legalising same-sex marriage because, whether they like it or not, that's what most people want. My only issue with gay marriage is when the Church is forced to marry gay couples, but then again, what kind of gay couple would want a religious marriage without being labelled fascist by the LGBT community? Not too many...
The PM said they would get this done by the end of the year, so it will happen.

As for the religious gay wedding I think it would be more positively than you think by the LGBT community would see it more as a sign of openness from the church than fascism from the gay couple.

Quote: