Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 16th, 2018, 12:11 AM   #1
epm0927

Name: Ethan
Default Telling Parents

Hey Guys! Sorry for the long post, haha, but I have a lot of feelings and kinda need some adviceÖ

So about a year ago I moved out of the house to go to college (where I am now). About a month in, I ended up at a small-ish party where I ended up smoking my first joint/cigarette (I actually donít remember exactly what was in it; it was recommended by a close friend as being mild). I didnít like the experience, and so I havenít done anything like that since.

Now, I havenít told my parents about this, but somehow Iíve been getting this overwhelming urge lately to open up and tell them.

A bit of background on my familial relations: we have always been incredibly close and open with each other, and I havenít really kept a secret like this from them before. (I think that might be part of the reason Iím feeling so guilty?) I wouldnít say they are *strict*, but they have certainly given me the ďdonít smokeĒ speech beforeÖ. (Also as a note, they are both immigrants that come from cultures in which smoking isnít really a part of the norm?)

So basically Iím debating whether or not I should tell themÖ. On the one hand, Iíve obviously managed to keep this a secret for this long so hey maybe this is something I can wait like 20 years and then off-handedly bring upÖ But on the other hand, I feel like I wonít be able to keep this a secret forever, and therefore the sooner I own-up the better (it has already been a whole year!)

Have any of you had a similar experience (i.e. kept a secret from your parents this big)? Did you ever tell? If so, what was their reaction?

And I mean hey, if you guys have advice on whether *I* should tell or not please let me knowÖ Iím really at a loss
epm0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 12:30 AM   #2
epm0927

Name: Ethan
Default Re: Telling Parents

**UPDATE:: Well... Maybe writing this post was all I needed, but I actually just told them... And they were surprisingly OK with it, just glad that I confessed. Just if anyone else is in my situation, know that it'll be ok
epm0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 01:18 AM   #3
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Default Re: Telling Parents

Glad all is well then. I'd recommend you stay away from that stuff.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote