Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 10th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #1
DeanKekman

DeanKekman's Forum Picture

Name: Dean
Default Any Advice for a new wrestler?

I'm just now joining wrestling for the first time. I don't have anything I'm good at, but I'm hoping this can be MY thing. I've been training for this all summer, but I hear practice sessions are very similar to military boot camp. I also remember in Karate, they told me I was really good at grappling as a little kid, but I'm not sure that it'll travel over. I've been told I'm not gonna get anywhere because I have no experience and to not even join in the first place, but does anyone here have any advice?

It's okay. Life doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be lived." - Dexter Morgan
DeanKekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #2
swimjoey1
Member++

Name: Joey
Default Re: Any Advice for a new wrestler?

I wrestled in grade 8 and the work outs are pretty tough. It’s 3 to 4 days practice after school. We do strength training weights and lots of practice with wrestling your mates. Usually same weight scale as you. I did it for 1 year cause I prefer swimming more.
swimjoey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #3
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanKekman View Post
I'm just now joining wrestling for the first time. I don't have anything I'm good at, but I'm hoping this can be MY thing. I've been training for this all summer, but I hear practice sessions are very similar to military boot camp. I also remember in Karate, they told me I was really good at grappling as a little kid, but I'm not sure that it'll travel over. I've been told I'm not gonna get anywhere because I have no experience and to not even join in the first place, but does anyone here have any advice?
First of all there is no harm in at least going out for it. If you want to try it out then go for it. The worst can happen is the Coach will say I am sorry but I don't think you're the right fit.

I didn't wrestle but it can be extremely rigorous. Lots of weight training, lots of cardio, and of course you will get a lot of time on the mats. They focus on our weight quite a bit. Maintaining a certain weight class can be brutal sometimes. I know some guys who did it and absolutely loved it and some who were miserable but did it more or less to do it.

It will be a ton of work for sure. I don't got any great advice on wrestling techniques specifically, but I would make sure you are working out regularly if you're not already doing so. Also wish you the best of luck. Keep in mind, if wrestling is not the right thing for you, there are other sports you can try out for.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 11:31 PM   #4
DeanKekman

DeanKekman's Forum Picture

Name: Dean

Well I joined already, and after the third day, I feel like I'm untrainable, because I started so late in my life. I have instincts, such as going after the leg when the other people are practicing on me. It's helping them, not me. I can't do the maneuvers right. If I started earlier on in my life I could've done good, but I was held back by people so much, that I couldn't do it. Now I'm just wasted potential. Fuck.
I guess I'll ride out the season just to see what happens. Fuck it. Shouldn't give up yet.

It's okay. Life doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be lived." - Dexter Morgan
DeanKekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #5
The Stalwart
Junior Member+

The Stalwart's Forum Picture

Name: Peter

Wrestling is hard work to be sure, but I say go for it. It’s also a lot of fun.
The Stalwart is offline   Reply With Quote