Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 8th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Pika2001
Member+

Pika2001's Forum Picture

Post Just had my first job interview and was not ready

Alright, so last night, My friend told asked me if I wanted to go to the Montanas (Restaurant) job fair with him, so after school today, we went to the job fair, I did not know what to expect, we thought it would just be a thing where you hand in your resume and leave. But we had to do an interview right then and there, I was not ready. When I was asked which duty I wanted to do, I said, "Honestly, I don't know" which was stupid because before that I already decided that I should be the dishwasher. then she suggested dishwasher and I replied yes. When she asked me to tell her about myself, I said basic stuff like I'm in grade 11 then I said I don't really know what you want me to tell you, she then asked me to tell her about any previous jobs, then I told her about occasionally working at my mom's convenience store (she doesn't know that it's my moms, different last name). after that, she proceeded to ask me stress-related questions like how I would do If I was handed a bunch of dishes, and I said that I would try to remain calm and take my time. I think that part was OKAY.

I just wish that we just hand in our resumes and get called for an interview because I wish I had time to prepare and think of what I would say during the interview, especially because on my way home, I thought of a bunch of ways I could have improved the interview.

Also, My friend who also did this got hired right away(this was his first ever interview too), which I'm happy that he got the job, but I gotta say that I'm a little jealous.

Do you think that I will get the job? (be honest, I won't be mad if you say no)
What can I do to improve my next interview?

Thanks

16|Somewhat Bi
When you are sexually attracted to both genders but romantically attract only the opposite gender
Feel free to pm me, I'm open to anything
Pika2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #2
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth
Default Re: Just had my first job interview and was not ready

Well, I am not sure if you are going to get the job or not. I don't say that to make you worry, I am just saying I am not sure. I am wondering if the people they were going to hire all got hired right away or if they are still making their decision on some. Both could be a reasonable possibility.

It was your first interview so I wouldn't get too worried about it. For future, you may want to look up common questions which get asked and practice answering them, so you will be prepared to give an answer then the time comes. It sounds like you were just nervous. Take a deep breathe. All job interviews are about selling yourself. They want to know why should they hire you. They don't need a brain surgeon to wash dishes but they want to know are you going to be a cal, dependable, team player they can count on to do a quality job. Say you are willing to learn whatever they are willing to teach and you can't promise you will be perfect but you do promise to give it your very best effort every time.

That is what they're really looking for, esp for those types of jobs. Be confident, be honest and show them why you would make a good team player in their organization.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #3
Jordanchill
Junior Member+

Jordanchill's Forum Picture

Name: Jordan

You should always look for the good and bad in every situation. So maybe this interview didn't go so well, but you can always learn from it. For instance, now you have an idea what a job interview will be like so the next one you attend won't be such a surprise like the first one. Most of the time, interviewers will not rush the answer out of you. Listen to the question and think about a clear answer that you think represents you good. Obviously you don't want to take five minutes to answer a single question but a thought out answer is better then a short, limited answer. As SethfromMI pointed out to you above, one thing that you want to be during these interviews is confident. Every answer should be answered with confidence, even if you aren't confident in your mind. Essentially, no um's, if's, but's, I think, etc. Regardless if you got this job or not, at least you can say that you tried. It is better to try and fail and then try again than to not try at all.
Jordanchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #4
swimjoey1
Member++

Name: Joey

It’s good that you at least went to get your first job interview. I am 16 and don’t even have a resume. At least you will know what they will ask the next time you get another interview. For you getting the on, it’s hard to say. I guess depending how many people they are looking for. Good Luck
swimjoey1 is offline   Reply With Quote