Old November 12th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #21
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Re: Ask a Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon-19Bi View Post
That's because Jesus was never married and never had sex. You give up everything to represent Jesus Christ
Are you sure he never had sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNicholas View Post
What are the beliefs that separate Catholics from Protestants (I'm someone who knows next to nothing about religion)?
From what Iíve learned that in principal itís a few seeming (IMO) small things. Like in communion, Catholics believe the host and wine become the body and blood of Christ, where Protestants believe it is represtative of the body and blood of Christ. Also the catholic faith does not allow the use of birth control, where the protestanr faith does.

Iím sure thereís more to it than that, thatís just what I remember from religion class in catholic schools for a couple years

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:42 AM   #22
maddogmj77
Nice Poster

maddogmj77's Forum Picture

Name: Matthew

If god created the entire world, why did he make the Earth so dangerous?

There's:
  • Cyanide
  • Uranium
  • Mercury
  • Poison Ivy
  • Poison Oak
  • Nightshade
  • Oleander
  • Tobacco
  • Poisonous Frogs
  • Poisonous/Toxic Snakes
  • Scorpions
  • Earthquakes
  • Floods
  • Lightning
  • Hurricanes
  • Tornadoes
  • Tsunamis
  • Asbestos
  • Anthrax
  • Smallpox
  • Bubonic Plague
  • Polio
  • Aids
  • Ebola
  • Tetanus
  • Tuberculosis
  • etc.

If god created humans, why did he make them so faulty?
  • Our eyes have a blind-spot. (Squids do not have this problem)
  • Males urinal tract runs right next to their prostate which can become enlarged, blocking flow, and cause major problems.
  • Women have painful childbirth due to a misplaced pelvis.
  • We have useless wisdom teeth which can cause pain, infections, and crowded teeth.
  • We can't self-synthesize Vitamin C, while most other animals can.
  • We get things like Cancer, Diabetes, Scoliosis, Heart Attacks, Asthma, Anxiety, Depression, Schizophrenia, Autism, OCD, Psychosis, Childhood Deformations, Still-Births, Miscarriages. etc.
  • Not to mention War, Rape, & Murder.

Is god not all-powerful?
Does he not care about human suffering?
Is he punishing everyone? (If so, Why? Isn't he supposed to be all-loving?)

Matthew - 18 - Gay
Feel free to message me

"Is this a test? It has to be, otherwise I can't go on."
maddogmj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 01:01 PM   #23
Arkansasguy
Nice Poster

The basic answer to why God permits evil is because he will bring a greater good out of it. As finite and fallen creatures, we often lack the perspective necessary to understand why any particular evil is tolerated.

As the author of all that is, including all the bases on which morality is grounded, God owes us neither freedom from suffering nor understanding of its meaning. What respite from suffering and what comprehension we can have of its meaning is granted to us entirely gratis.
Arkansasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #24
maddogmj77
Nice Poster

maddogmj77's Forum Picture

Name: Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansasguy View Post
The basic answer to why God permits evil is because he will bring a greater good out of it.
God is all-powerful. If he wants "greater good" to happen, he should be able to just do it. He shouldn't have to make millions of people suffer in anguish and die, every single day for years on end.

Why would he make any diseases ever exist in the first place?

Why did he make human bodies so faulty?

God is supposed to be all-powerful. He should have been able to make Earth much safer, and humans much more perfect.
There is absolutely no reason to not to, unless he wants people to suffer.
If he wants "greater good", he should be able to just do it; he says he's all-powerful.

Matthew - 18 - Gay
Feel free to message me

"Is this a test? It has to be, otherwise I can't go on."
maddogmj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #25
Falcons_11
VT Lover

Why do Catholics worship Mary? I know that she is the mother of God (Jesus). But, do Catholic revere here like she is a goddess? After all, she was human and not godlike.
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #26
Arkansasguy
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons_11 View Post
Why do Catholics worship Mary? I know that she is the mother of God (Jesus). But, do Catholic revere here like she is a goddess? After all, she was human and not godlike.
Catholics do not worship Mary. We venerate her, and all the saints, because of her holiness and the role she played in salvation history. Catholics hold that the saints can pray for those on Earth, which is why we ask for their intercession.
Old November 15th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #27
KatieCO2003
Member++

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

Fiona, the Tridentine Mass is mostly in Latin and Greek but is only celebrated on very rare occasions and only in certain places. It was the common mass before the Vatican II counsel in 1962. The modern mass is celebrated mostly in the local language (we have it in English and Spanish at my church) but both can include some parts in Latin and Greek as well. I have attended both Spanish and French masses and was able to follow along and understand most of it because a mass has a specific order to the way it's celebrated. It's very highly structured. So even if you don't speak the language, its easy enough to roughly translate. Ditto the Latin and Greek.
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #28
Arkansasguy
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmj77 View Post
God is all-powerful. If he wants "greater good" to happen, he should be able to just do it.
Of course God could make the world better. That's not the point. Creation, by definition, is finite. Any finite value can be increased, so the world could always be better. Contra Leibniz, "the best of all possible worlds" is not a coherent concept, anymore than "the largest of all finite numbers" is.

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason to not to
See the above. In order to make the case that the world as God actually made it was not the "right" way to make it, and did not have the "right" amount of goodness in it, you would need to fully comprehend every possible option available to God, which of course, no creature can.
Old November 17th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #29
benbeny

Name: Benedictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
Are you sure he never had sex?

From what Iíve learned that in principal itís a few seeming (IMO) small things. Like in communion, Catholics believe the host and wine become the body and blood of Christ, where Protestants believe it is represtative of the body and blood of Christ. Also the catholic faith does not allow the use of birth control, where the protestanr faith does.

Iím sure thereís more to it than that, thatís just what I remember from religion class in catholic schools for a couple years
I can say, not every protestants are same.
Lutherans believe that host and wine are true flesh and blood.
Calvinists say that they're just a representation.
Some Pentecostals only say that holy communion is just a remembrance.

Many different views actually.
PS: I'm catholic but I like to see read about protestantism. In here basically we have 3 major denominations: Lutherans, Calvinists (biggest protestant church - ex Netherlands colony), and Pentecostalism. Most major churches in America are just small denominations in here.

A third year medical student
Feel free to PM me! I like to have new friends
benbeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #30
Falcons_11
VT Lover

Why do Catholics have to confess their sins to a priest and not directly to God through prayers? Wouldn't it be better to talk to God and not to a human (i.e. a priest) when seeking salvation from their sins?
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #31
Arkansasguy
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons_11 View Post
Why do Catholics have to confess their sins to a priest and not directly to God through prayers? Wouldn't it be better to talk to God and not to a human (i.e. a priest) when seeking salvation from their sins?
It is Catholic doctrine that Jesus Christ instituted the sacrament of confession, obviously a divine mandate justifies the practice. The truth of this doctrine is demonstrated not only by Christ's express affirmation of it recorded in John's Gospel (1), but also by the universal practice of the early Church (2).

As for the question of what purpose such a requirement serves, the answers are multiple. Being required to orally acknowledge one's sins to another person makes their reality more clear. Moreover, confession can be a source of good practical advice as to how to avoid sin in the future.

(1) "Jesus said to them again, ďPeace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.Ē And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, ďReceive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.Ē" - John 20:21-23

(2) For a detailed treatment of the history of the sacrament, see The Catholic Encyclopedia: The Sacrament of Penance. In particular, see the section titled "Belief and Practice of the Early Church" for an extensive list of references to primary sources.