Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 14th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #21
Arkansasguy
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
that is what is generally accepted
By who? What event occurred anywhere in the ballpark of 400 AD that could be construed as the founding of the Catholic Church.

As a side note, there is no dispute among actual historians that Anabaptists first started in the 16th century. It's quite frankly ludicrous to label the origins of Anabaptists as "unknown" out of deference to fringe theories of history, while at the same time picking an arbitrary start date for the Catholic Church.

Quote:
I chose 400 as that is around the generalized time Catholic Church as we know it came to be.

And the term "Catholic" is not exclusive to the Roman Church. 'Catholic' has been used throughout history to refer to Christians as a whole; some Protestant groups like the Methodists still commonly use that term in this fashion. The term 'Catholic' as to refer specifically to Roman Catholicism didn't come in accepted use until around the latter part of the 4th century, which is conveniently close to the 400AD date I choose.
"See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid." - The Epistle of Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans

The first known use of the term "Catholic" was used in a letter affirming the authority of the ecclesiastical hierarchy.

Beyond that specific issue, your summaries suffer from a narrow parochialism, in that every description is written from a Protestant and indeed specifically Anabaptist perspective (using the term "Christian baptism" to refer specifically to baptism of adults, referring to the deuterocanon as "apocrypha", when that term is used in different ways by different groups, classifying everyone as believing in salvation either "by faith and Jesus" or "by faith and works", with no discussion of infused vs imputed righteousness, etc.).

To be clear, this isn't simply a Catholic issue. I'm sure that plenty of the groups you mentioned would object to the way you summarized them. The issue also isn't that you had to summarize, the issue is the way you did it. I think you would do well to seek input from adherents of the various groups you listed.

Posts merged. ~Mars

Last edited by Sailor Mars; November 15th, 2017 at 08:23 AM.
Arkansasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #22
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture

Default Re: Denomination Differences

@Arkansasguy I said I will look into your claims, and I will. But believe it or not, I really don't have the time to do an in-depth look and explanation of all the denominations, atleast not in the present. And so far, I have not had any cries of outrage from other Christian individuals here, so I'm not in a huge rush to change anything. This is a lot more work than you may think, and I have a busy life, so it isn't like I can drop everything and modify this thread whenever someone wants to me to. As I stated before, I am open to suggestions, but the more you argue about this, the less inclined I am to make any changes.

And yes, this is written in a Protestant perspective. Just like if you wrote it, it would be in a Catholic perspective. We all have our biases, so you must recognize that this won't conform 100% to your worldview, just like I'm trying to not make it conform to mine.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #23
benbeny

Name: Benedictus

I think you should add Calvinism on the list. It's a major denomination too, especially in Dutch colonies

A third year medical student
Feel free to PM me! I like to have new friends
benbeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 07:21 PM   #24
Southern_Cheer

Southern_Cheer's Forum Picture

Name: Anna May

Baptists definitely believe in the immaculate conception part. No we don't really like honor or praise Mary outside of carrying Jesus but we do believe that she was a virgin who gave birth
Southern_Cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 11:14 PM   #25
Phosphene
Word Shaker

Phosphene's Forum Picture

@PlasmaHam This was really informative! Denominations always confused me; I didn't know the intricacies to distinguish them from one another. Much appreciated

"The question is, what color will everything be at that moment when I come for you? What will the sky be saying?" ~Death, from The Book Thief
The Treasure Trove 🦄 Probe My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Phosphene is offline   Reply With Quote