Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 31st, 2017, 10:36 PM   #1
Hollywood
Still Here

Hollywood's Forum Picture

Name: Tyler
Default Coming Back To Religion

I've sort of faded in an out of religion in my life. When I was really little, I went to church with my grandparents often but didn't really understand why. Around the age of 11 I became a devoted Christian, never missing church or youth functions. I joined the church officially, got baptized, the whole shebang. Then, in my adolescence, I completely lost my religion and denied the existence of a higher being.

Now, in my early twenties, I find myself being pulled back to my religious roots. The deaths of my grandparents had much to do with this I believe. I pray every day at least once a day and I've been sort of half-heartedly reading the Bible. I haven't been back to church yet but I plan on doing so, hopefully soon. Obviously I have a long way to go but I like where this path seems to be headed.

I created this thread to share my experience but to hear about similar experiences from others as well. Did you drift away from religion and then find yourself back in it? How did it happen and how do you feel about it?

val
I am Elysium, Lord and Master's special snowflake bitch
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Living For Love
VT Lover

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago
Default Re: Coming Back To Religion

I never experienced what you mentioned (drifting away from religion and then being pulled back to it years later), but may I ask you what caused you to become interested in religion again?

Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I see this happening with other kids at church. Seems like when they get to some certain age and their parent giveback them more freedoms, church becomes an option or something. And some stop going.

For me itís still pretty new. I never went until about 2 years ago. And Iíve really liked it. I found out I was never baptized, and had that done, now Iím going through confirmation class at church. I can see why maybe some kids grow away from church if they grew up with it and their parent kinda forced them to go, almost like a rebellion type of thing.

I think sometimes some kids grow up and have different beliefs than their parents to. I know me and my parents donít have the same beliefs on some things so...
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

This turned out longer than I anticipated... Sorry...

I passively believed in God as a child because that just seemed to be the thing to do; nobody told me to believe it and nobody told me otherwise. My parents didn't send me to Hebrew school until I started mixing Christianity with Judaism and even that was more about learning our stories and histories than any spiritual belief.

The traditions were always important to me. I took pride in singing prayers in another language and lighting candles when most of my peers did something different. I still do. I've never had any desire to celebrate Christmas on my own or with my family.

A traumatic injury changed things when I was 10. I was depressed and terrified out of my mind and with nothing else to do, I prayed for God to make it better. I prayed that my recovery would go smoothly. He didn't help me. It got worse. And I lost any belief I might've had up until that point.

And then I entered adolescence, got involved on the internet and became aware of social issues. Now up until this point, I'll admit I kind of looked down on Christians as I knew them simply for their ignorance to my own traditions (I have a particular memory of a couple of kids in my class in elementary school deliberately pronouncing the "Ch" in Chanukkah as you would in English). But what I learned was that Christianity went much further. Christians persecuted people like me as far as I was concerned - in the Holocaust, which I of course knew about prior but not in any great detail until this point, in the United States. Not to mention the homophobia I thought was inherent to Christianity and the total rejection of science. Actually, I was really confused about religion vs. science for a while; I didn't understand how the two could coexist when they seemed so fundamentally contradictory. Ultimately, I was scared of any Christianity that went further than the commercial, secular version you commonly see.

Then I got older and became a lot more openminded in a lot of ways. Writing my dvar Torah for my bat mitzvah helped a lot too (a speech interpreting a lesson in the Torah; this helped me to come to terms with and/or make some sense of my trauma a few years prior). I first resolved what I'd originally seen to be a conflict between theology and science (now I see the two as happily coexisting and capable of complementing each other, depending on one's beliefs), which helped me to first be less afraid of religion and ultimately to even support theology, even with no beliefs of my own.

Nowadays, I don't have any spiritual belief, but I cannot and do not deny the existence of deities or divine entities, especially the ones other people pray to, believe in, see and speak with. I believe in all the good religion does for people and all the comfort, purpose, and direction it gives them. I believe in the inherent goodness, hope, and positivity of prayer. For the first time in my life, I have friends now who are actually religious in more than just name and I love to ask them about their beliefs and traditions. I never knew I'd be so fascinated by it (just look how much I'm posting in this new section, haha), but I am.

At the end of the day, I believe in Judaism. I believe in my traditions, culture, and community. The academic nature of Judaism suits me perfectly, too. It all helps me to feel like I belong to something. I don't know if you'd call that being close to religion, but I'm certainly closer to something than I was. And I relish it. I delight in the comfort, malleability, and openness of my own beliefs and those of others. I'm very much happy and at peace in this regard. For now, at least.

Global Moderator
My Diary
ďEverything was beautiful and nothing hurt.Ē
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
ďThe GoderatorĒ
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:10 PM   #5
Anniebanannie
Member++

Anniebanannie's Forum Picture

Name: Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
I've sort of faded in an out of religion in my life. When I was really little, I went to church with my grandparents often but didn't really understand why. Around the age of 11 I became a devoted Christian, never missing church or youth functions. I joined the church officially, got baptized, the whole shebang. Then, in my adolescence, I completely lost my religion and denied the existence of a higher being.

Now, in my early twenties, I find myself being pulled back to my religious roots. The deaths of my grandparents had much to do with this I believe. I pray every day at least once a day and I've been sort of half-heartedly reading the Bible. I haven't been back to church yet but I plan on doing so, hopefully soon. Obviously I have a long way to go but I like where this path seems to be headed.

I created this thread to share my experience but to hear about similar experiences from others as well. Did you drift away from religion and then find yourself back in it? How did it happen and how do you feel about it?
Our understanding -- and ability to understand -- changes so much as we grow up. I hope that you find a church you're comfortable in. That'll help alot.

I'm 17 and I feel my faith has mostly grown over time, although I still have a lot to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
I see this happening with other kids at church. Seems like when they get to some certain age and their parent giveback them more freedoms, church becomes an option or something. And some stop going.

For me itís still pretty new. I never went until about 2 years ago. And Iíve really liked it. I found out I was never baptized, and had that done, now Iím going through confirmation class at church. I can see why maybe some kids grow away from church if they grew up with it and their parent kinda forced them to go, almost like a rebellion type of thing.

I think sometimes some kids grow up and have different beliefs than their parents to. I know me and my parents donít have the same beliefs on some things so...
How old are you now?

I'm having a great time here. I'm open to chat, too.
Anniebanannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniebanannie View Post
Our understanding -- and ability to understand -- changes so much as we grow up. I hope that you find a church you're comfortable in. That'll help alot.

I'm 17 and I feel my faith has mostly grown over time, although I still have a lot to learn.

How old are you now?

Iím 17
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote