Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old October 31st, 2017, 01:51 PM   #1
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

Default Intentions vs Consequences

In ethics, there are two general ways to ascribe the morality of an action. The first, known as deontological ethics judges the action based upon the intentions of the person who did it. In this world view, the means can often justify the end. For example, murder is wrong when you are doing it out of self-interest or hate, but under the idea of deontological ethics, murder would be okay if you are doing it to protect your family. The first is wrong because the murderer had bad or immoral intentions, but the second is right because you had good intentions.

The second viewpoint is called Consequentialism. Rather than intentions, actions are judged by their results, or as the name implies, consequences. In a Consequentialistís view, the ends justify the means. For instance, under consequentialism, theft is always wrong, because it always results in harm being done to the person you stole from. Or in the classic case of a speeding train, it would be moral to sacrifice one person to save five others, because the consequences of 5 people living is better than just one.

So, which viewpoint are you? Here is a great site if you want to learn more about this and other ethics topics.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Re: Intentions vs Consequences

I know in the Christian religion, to kill someone (as an example you used) is a sin. To intentionally kill someone, yeah, I think that would be a sin. We are taught about forgiveness and love. But thatís an intentional, almost like a premeditated, Iím going to do this action.

But if you are in a situation, not even an accident, more like if your own life is threaten, or you act out naturally, not even thinking about the consequences, in defense, thatís a natural reaction. I think by the letter of the comandement, itís still a sin. But thereís also so much that can be interpreted from the Bible as well.

But also in the Christian faith, if we do sin and repent, our sins will be forgiven.

Iím not so sure thatís what your looking for or not? Iím pretty sure you already knew that Sunday school lesson, but thatís kinda how I see it.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:35 AM   #3
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster

Name: Magnus

Well, as with every part of philosophy, there is no one concrete answer to a problem. I am personally more of a consequentialist but it must also be respected that the intentions of the person carrying out is also a huge factor of an actions morality.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #4
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

Is it possible to believe both? I personally believe that karmic forces are created on the basis of one's intentions, yet consequences determine the objective rightness or wrongness of the action. In other words, if you did not intend to do something wrong, but it had bad consequences and was therefore an objectively wrong action, then you shouldn't be punished for that action.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote