Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 31st, 2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Alisha_
Member++

Alisha_'s Forum Picture

Name: Alisha
Default Are we living in a simulation?

This question has really interested me for awhile now. I've watched and listened to quite a few things that state there is a high possibility that we are living in a simulation. Like Kurzgesagt's video "Is Reality Real? the Simulation Argument".

I'm curious how others feel on this topic?

Feel free to pm me, always open to talk about whatever!
Alisha_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 06:53 PM   #2
Nnoki

Default Re: Are we living in a simulation?

It would be almost impossible, how can something simulate billions of things, like everybody's life, also there could be 2 types:
1. Where we're all in a simuation:
What about babies? when did they got into simulation and how newborns get into it?
2. We're all a simulation
How can you make billions of different persons, that develop a life and not "crash", how this "simulation" keeps running and who simulates it?
if it is true, what is death then?

16/Bi (most into guys)/Nudist/Open for everything/Looking for friends, message me
Finally 100 posts!!!
Always looking to make new friends, talk to me about whatever, i'll hear whatever you have to say
Nnoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:20 PM   #3
Anniebanannie
Member++

Anniebanannie's Forum Picture

Name: Annie

I don't believe that. Can I prove it one way or another? No. I do know that our perceptions of things differ. It's a wonder that we have enough in common to keep the world going.

I'm having a great time here. I'm open to chat, too.
Anniebanannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:14 PM   #4
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt

It is an interesting idea, a lot of scientists have debated, @Nnoki if you look how much and how fast our own technology as developing, you can't rule out the possibility that one day we could reach the point where we can easily create a simulation this big from a child's computer. Who knows how far it can go?

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Alisha_
Member++

Alisha_'s Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnoki View Post
It would be almost impossible, how can something simulate billions of things, like everybody's life, also there could be 2 types:
What about babies? when did they got into simulation and how newborns get into it?
How can you make billions of different persons, that develop a life and not "crash", how this "simulation" keeps running and who simulates it?
1. Babies would be code just like the rest of us. As long as we'd have a computer that is strong enough, we'd be able to simulate life and the life that we'd know would just be code. So the newborns would just be new code or recycled code of other things put together for the purpose of "living".
2. If we had a strong enough computer, we'd be able to simulate each and every person. It wouldn't need to worry about "crashing". It could be a singular race who decides to simulate how their Ancestors came to be and how their civilizations lead to where they are now. Death would just be recycling our "data" back into the system in some other form, or just a deletion of it.

Old October 31st, 2017, 08:31 PM   #6
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:

I think I agree with you some. For me, I guess its possible as if like god is playing a huge (to us) simulation game. As were all created in his image (according to Christianity).

And what about death?
Do we know what it is whether or not its a sim s game or not?

Isnt death believed to be a sacrament in Christianity?
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:44 PM   #7
Nnoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisha_ View Post
1. Babies would be code just like the rest of us. As long as we'd have a computer that is strong enough, we'd be able to simulate life and the life that we'd know would just be code. So the newborns would just be new code or recycled code of other things put together for the purpose of "living".
2. If we had a strong enough computer, we'd be able to simulate each and every person. It wouldn't need to worry about "crashing". It could be a singular race who decides to simulate how their Ancestors came to be and how their civilizations lead to where they are now. Death would just be recycling our "data" back into the system in some other form, or just a deletion of it.
But you're saying that we are basically code that writes itself?

16/Bi (most into guys)/Nudist/Open for everything/Looking for friends, message me
Finally 100 posts!!!
Always looking to make new friends, talk to me about whatever, i'll hear whatever you have to say
Nnoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:58 PM   #8
Alisha_
Member++

Alisha_'s Forum Picture

Quote:
But you're saying that we are basically code that writes itself?
Think about a civilization who is, say, millions of years more advanced than us. There is a very good chance they'd be able to build a computer strong and complex enough to simulate consciousness. With Consciousness, as long as you're able to make the rest of the simulation around that/those consciousness, they'd never even know they'd be inside of a simulation in the first place.

Then you have a simulation that is able to simulate any number of consciousness into any number of data to make a "person". So as long as the computer is strong enough and the simulation is able to simulation consciousness, then you're able to basically simulate a civilization.

So if sometime in the distant future, our technological skills get to the point we are able to make a simulation like that, it would basically prove that'd 99.9% chance we'd be a simulation of someone else. If a simulation could reach a point where that simulation could make more simulations, then there would be a lot more simulations then there would be actual real being, would there not?

Old November 1st, 2017, 05:32 AM   #9
Maurice998
Junior Member+

No we aren’t
Maurice998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 04:42 PM   #10
Alisha_
Member++

Alisha_'s Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice998 View Post
No we arent
Why don't you think so?

Old November 1st, 2017, 05:47 PM   #11
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
I think I agree with you some. For me, I guess its possible as if like god is playing a huge (to us) simulation game. As were all created in his image (according to Christianity).

And what about death?
Do we know what it is whether or not its a sim s game or not?

Isnt death believed to be a sacrament in Christianity?
I don't think death is a sacrament in Christianity. maybe in the Catholic church. In many Christian churches the sacraments are baptism and communion. I know the Catholic Church (and others) have more so you would have to ask them. In Christianity, death may be the end of your time on Earth, but most Christians believe your soul lives on forever. Either in Heaven if you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior or Hell.

So to address the question presented for this thread, I don't think we are living in some type of Matrix or other type of simulation. I do believe in God and believe God created the Heavens and Earth. While God has ordained some things from the beginning, God has also given us an incredible amount of free will. God wanted us to choose good, sadly humanity more often than not chooses the things they shouldn't. But no I don't believe this is just some sort of simulation.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 06:27 PM   #12
Anniebanannie
Member++

Why would an alien civilization necessarily have computers? Why would they make us the way we are -- incredibly imperfect in every way? What are the chances? Isn't it more likely that the world -- and we -- developed randomly?

Old November 1st, 2017, 09:46 PM   #13
Alisha_
Member++

Alisha_'s Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniebanannie View Post
Why would an alien civilization necessarily have computers? Why would they make us the way we are -- incredibly imperfect in every way? What are the chances? Isn't it more likely that the world -- and we -- developed randomly?
From what I've read and listened/watched about this subject. A good reason to make a simulation like that, is to see how their ancestors came up and how they advanced through the ages. So you wouldn't want an incredibly perfect race of beings who would do everything right. You'd want to simulate the flaws of people in earlier times and see how they dealt with the stuff that they dealt with and were able to get to the point way in the future that the being(s) are currently at. A simulation like that would be pretty invaluable to historians to learn about their early relatives and that.

Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:37 AM   #14
Maurice998
Junior Member+

Quote:
Why don't you think so?
I just dont think so because we have 100% control over our own bodies. You may say well in a sim you have 100% control too. Well who would want to play a simulator where you go to school and learn about s$#t or have depression and anxiety and want to kill your self all the time. Do you see what Im getting at.
Maurice998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 12:05 PM   #15
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam

Quote:
I just don’t think so because we have 100% control over our own bodies.

oh really? The brain, btw some sublevels like the so called subconscious, makes the decision about six seconds before you, the consciousness, becomes aware of it.

Apart from whether the time measured is correct or not, it means that you do not actually decide as consciousness or consciously do it only to a very small extent.

100% control is an illusion. I say that not even the subconscious mind has 90% control over one's own body.

And as the ancient Buddhists already said: there's no reality and everything is just illusion.

It is, of course, futile to discuss this statement without looking deeper into the philosophies of Buddhism.

But generally I came to this consideration:

If everything is just illusion (simulation in the sense of this thread), then reality is just acceptance of the given ... so reality is simply a matter of definition.

So, as long as we can only move in our expierenced physical environment, this physique is reality. Our mostly common expierenced reality. Also, it wouldn't matter if we can definitely and absolutely prove, whether this reality is illusion or simulation or not, as long we can't escape or expand this reality.

So, as said above, reality is simply just acceptation.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

Last edited by lliam; November 3rd, 2017 at 03:08 AM.
lliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:55 PM   #16
Anniebanannie
Member++

Smile Re: Are we living in a simulation?

Quote:
From what I've read and listened/watched about this subject. A good reason to make a simulation like that, is to see how their ancestors came up and how they advanced through the ages. So you wouldn't want an incredibly perfect race of beings who would do everything right. You'd want to simulate the flaws of people in earlier times and see how they dealt with the stuff that they dealt with and were able to get to the point way in the future that the being(s) are currently at. A simulation like that would be pretty invaluable to historians to learn about their early relatives and that.
Interesting point. How would they make sure that the simulations made the exact same decisions and said the exact same things and died at the same time? Otherwise, all sorts of differences would enter the program and everything could turn out differently.

I mean, what if in the simulation, someone had managed to have murdered Hitler. Everything would be different and our historians would learn nothing about ourselves from the simulation that has a completely different history.

Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:37 PM   #17
Alisha_
Member++

Alisha_'s Forum Picture

Quote:
Well who would want to play a simulator where you go to school and learn about s$#t or have depression and anxiety and want to kill your self all the time. Do you see what Im getting at.
It would most likely be more of a simulation of our entire civilization. So I highly doubt anyone is "playing" it, it's more of something people could watch to see how their ancestors did things and advanced. So it's not really like a game, just a simulation of the countless years we've been trudging on for. Showing historians how we came to be and that. That would make a lot more sense than a game you'd be able to play and mess around with.

Old November 2nd, 2017, 10:18 PM   #18
benbeny

Name: Benedictus

Nope. I've read somewhere that the amount of atoms needed to simulate every atoms is beyond the amount of the atoms in the observable universe.

A third year medical student
Feel free to PM me! I like to have new friends
benbeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 02:19 AM   #19
Alisha_
Member++

Alisha_'s Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbeny View Post
Nope. I've read somewhere that the amount of atoms needed to simulate every atoms is beyond the amount of the atoms in the observable universe.
You wouldn't need to simulate every atom. Just make them appear for the occasions that someone is looking or paying attention to them, then when they look away, the atoms would disappear to. So not everything would need to be simulated at all times, like what if inside of us is basically empty until someone looks inside or cuts us open? You'd just need to do operations for those occasions and then ignore the rest of the time, that would save A LOT of of "power" the computer would need.

Old November 3rd, 2017, 09:26 AM   #20
benbeny

Name: Benedictus

Quote:

If the complexity grew linearly with the number of particles being simulated, then doubling the number of particles would mean doubling the computing power required. If, however, the complexity grows on an exponential scale – where the amount of computing power has to double every time a single particle is added – then the task quickly becomes impossible.

The researchers calculated that just storing information about a couple of hundred electrons would require a computer memory that would physically require more atoms than exist in the universe.
https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/p...ter-simulation

A third year medical student
Feel free to PM me! I like to have new friends
benbeny is offline   Reply With Quote