Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [3]

Old May 31st, 2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Anneki

Name: Anne
Default Burka or niqab forbidden

Hi
From 1. august wearing a burka or niqab will be forbidden in country.
It's the dress worn by muslim women where you can only see the eyes.
I don't wear one since am not a muslim.
But what do you think of that?
Is it a helping hand to muslims or just intolerance.
Anneki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Jinglebottom

Jinglebottom's Forum Picture

Default Re: Burka or niqab forbidden

Good job.

General Discussions Moderator

PM - VM

*Mars was here*
Jinglebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Leprous
Professional Spivak

Leprous's Forum Picture

Personally I think this is good. I think prohibiting it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Muslims wear it but more due to the recent terror threats. People don't feel comfortable when they can't see your face.

In all of us lie secrets
hidden inside hollow hearts,
Heaven was built by heathens
there is no place for us
never was
Leprous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Nights
Member++

Nights's Forum Picture

I'm from Denmark too, I don't feel uncomfortable at all when I see people with burkas/niqabs, I think it should be allowed as there isn't really a point in banning it :/
Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 07:17 PM   #5
ShineintheDark
Great Poster

Name: Magnus

I don't agree with an all-out ban. Instead, I would enact a law that allows businesses to ask for it to be removed for security purposes. If a bank teller wants to see your face before allowing access to your account, that is only fair though the bank should at least meet them halfway and provide a private room if asked so that the woman may still keep her face hidden from the wider public for religious reasons. Same may go for airport security. Otherwise, quite bluntly: screw you not feeling 'comfortable' seeing a woman covering her face and body in public since it's not your choice to tell her what she can and cannot wear. If she poses no security threat to you then I see no problem with a woman being able to wear what she wants down the street. A burka isn't what a terrorist would wear to carry out an attack, it's far too restricting and impractical to be of any real use.
ShineintheDark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 12:29 PM   #6
sobi99

sobi99's Forum Picture

Name: Sobi

i think it's stupid.

in this day and age, people are advocating for women's rights and that they should be allowed to wear what they want and dress in skimpy clothing without being harassed, or without being told what to wear - but Muslim women are being told what not to wear? It doesn't make any sense.

it's not an issue and it shouldn't be one if people mind their businesses to be honest. women that wear the burqa or niqab aren't doing it to antagonise anyone; they're doing it because they feel closer to God when they wear it. we should let them freely practise their religion if they arent harming anyone.

15 year old boy, from England. Feel free to hit me up if you wanna talk
sobi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2018, 02:36 PM   #7
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

I'm against it, as long it is the woman's decision should be able to wear it.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 07:43 AM   #8
Pultost
Member+

Pultost's Forum Picture

Name: Anita

I think it should be banned. I mean, I don't care what people wear, but I want to see people's faces. It could be anyone under that thing!

"They would put my mind on a vacuum cleaner for three years! Two if I behave well..."

-Dorothy Haze
Pultost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 08:38 AM   #9
Vlerchan
unadulteratedReason

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprous
People don't feel comfortable when they can't see your face.
The entire point of freedom of expression and freedom of religious practice is to ensure that people can continue to engage in activities important to their own moral development that make other people uncomfortable.

Per helping women: Extending the option to wear a veil allows Muslim women to better reach out to those outside their conservative communities without the risk of impeaching their modesty--i.e. facilitates integration.

In other words restricting veiling is profoundly counterproductive in engaging women's empowerment.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Vlerchan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 08:43 AM   #10
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
I don't agree with an all-out ban. Instead, I would enact a law that allows businesses to ask for it to be removed for security purposes. If a bank teller wants to see your face before allowing access to your account, that is only fair though the bank should at least meet them halfway and provide a private room if asked so that the woman may still keep her face hidden from the wider public for religious reasons. Same may go for airport security. Otherwise, quite bluntly: screw you not feeling 'comfortable' seeing a woman covering her face and body in public since it's not your choice to tell her what she can and cannot wear. If she poses no security threat to you then I see no problem with a woman being able to wear what she wants down the street. A burka isn't what a terrorist would wear to carry out an attack, it's far too restricting and impractical to be of any real use.
This is what I was thinking. If the situation calls for them to have to see your face, esp for some type of legal verification, it should be removed (maybe that is already the case?). Other then that, I don't have an issue. I have never felt uncomfortable for seeing a woman in a burka. Even if you tried to make an argument they have something on underneath, if you really want to hide something like that, there are other things you can wear to help the process.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:48 AM   #11
Rationallity

Rationallity's Forum Picture

The law doesn't target Muslims or the burka/niqab. It just bans clothing that completely covers one's face. This is due to multiple reasons including the rise of violent political groups. The burka and niqab also may have been included due to the rising terrorism threat in Denmark from Muslim groups, kickstarted by the "Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy". The ban also only affects a very small number of people and doesn't include other head-coverings like the hijab which are worn much by a much wider community.
Rationallity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 04:45 AM   #12
Vlerchan
unadulteratedReason

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rationality
The law doesn't target Muslims or the burka/niqab. It just bans clothing that completely covers one's face.
Let us pretend that it is a benign rule which has nothing to do with the burka or the niqab and it's full intentions are to tackle criminal behaviour*. There still should be exceptions made for religious groups and necessary religious circumstances, and we still shouldn't force people to choose between being a criminal and remaining true to their faith on an issue which is not associated with material harm towards any unwilling third-parties.

Freedom of Religion tends to be written alongside Freedom of Conscience, because both secure the same end: An extraordinary host of differences fundamental to a diverse, pluralistic and ideologically-competitive society. This law, even if it has certain ends in mind, significantly curtails these freedoms and sets a wholly unfortunate precedent that if we legislate broadly enough, we can eliminate the practice of any specific activity we don't like.

---

* And, not, say, an actually anti-Islamic effort by a conservative Danish government to stop more of their votes from going to the far-right, framed in this way because an explicit burqa ban has already been ruled unconstitutional.

Quote:
The ban also only affects a very small number of people and doesn't include other head-coverings like the hijab which are worn much by a much wider community.
This is irrelevant.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Old June 13th, 2018, 05:13 AM   #13
Rationallity

Rationallity's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan View Post
This is irrelevant.
It is not irrelevant as it illustrates that there are other options. Saying that this forces people to chose between their faith and the law while ignoring that the overwhelming majority of people of the same faith are complying to their beliefs and remain unaffected.

I actually don't support the law but wanted to clarify what it states. Also, to my knowledge Denmark also isn't the first or latest to pass a similar law.
Rationallity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 05:22 AM   #14
Vlerchan
unadulteratedReason

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Quote:
It is not irrelevant as it illustrates that there are other options.
The women who strictly wear the Burqa or Niqab do so because they do not believe that the Hijab in and of itself is adherent to the modesty requirement--the modesty requirement being an issue to which, as I have just suggested, there is significant doctrinal differences around.

In other words, the different forms of head-dress are not necessarily interchangeable.

Quote:
Also, to my knowledge Denmark also isn't the first or latest to pass a similar law.
France, Belgium, Netherlands all have prohibitions, too.

---

Quote:
I actually don't support the law but wanted to clarify what it states.
Then I hope you don't mind me leveraging your posts to make broader points about the ban.

Last edited by Vlerchan; June 13th, 2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old June 13th, 2018, 08:49 AM   #15
Lucy G
Junior Member+

Lucy G's Forum Picture

Name: Lucy

Quote:
How about passports?
And do women wear these out of choice or as a subservient request of their male partner?

Just wondering...

Agree about the terrorism thing - very impractical

13, bi. Shy but happy to chat
Lucy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:36 AM   #16
ShineintheDark
Great Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy G View Post
How about passports?
Under UK law (and I assume the laws of most countries) you must have your face visible in a passport photo. This means that glasses are also required to be moved, no hair must obscure the face and, yes, all facial coverings must be removed. I have already stated that I would see a requirement by border control to have facial coverings removed in a private booth for identification purposes.
Quote:
And do women wear these out of choice or as a subservient request of their male partner?
There's no way of making sure every woman who wears the burka/niqab is doing so of her own volition, that is true. However, women may also be forced to be housewives/produce more children by abusive and controlling husbands. Do you also support a ban on being a stay-at-home parent/a limit on childbirth? Or would you say that the possibility of being forced should not counteract the right of many to choose willingly?
Old June 13th, 2018, 11:14 AM   #17
Lucy G
Junior Member+

Lucy G's Forum Picture

Name: Lucy

Quote:
Under UK law (and I assume the laws of most countries) you must have your face visible in a passport photo. This means that glasses are also required to be moved, no hair must obscure the face and, yes, all facial coverings must be removed. I have already stated that I would see a requirement by border control to have facial coverings removed in a private booth for identification purposes.

There's no way of making sure every woman who wears the burka/niqab is doing so of her own volition, that is true. However, women may also be forced to be housewives/produce more children by abusive and controlling husbands. Do you also support a ban on being a stay-at-home parent/a limit on childbirth? Or would you say that the possibility of being forced should not counteract the right of many to choose willingly?
I don't support any regime that treats women as anything other than free particularly when it comes to getting permission to drive, permission to wear certain clothing etc etc. But I live in UK and women are (allegedly) as free as men to do as they please within the remit of the law here. I wouldn't advocate any ban on either staying at home or how many children women can have. I'm sure if those women were actually allowed a choice they'd most likely choose freedom on the basis that they were not persecuted for doing so

13, bi. Shy but happy to chat
Lucy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 06:53 PM   #18
ShineintheDark
Great Poster

Quote:
I don't support any regime that treats women as anything other than free particularly when it comes to getting permission to drive, permission to wear certain clothing etc etc. But I live in UK and women are (allegedly) as free as men to do as they please within the remit of the law here. I wouldn't advocate any ban on either staying at home or how many children women can have. I'm sure if those women were actually allowed a choice they'd most likely choose freedom on the basis that they were not persecuted for doing so
Nice to see that you agree with me. So therefore, by the same principle, unless you can prove that a significant enough amount of women wearing a burka/niqab are forced into doing so against their will, you can't really promote a ban on them on the grounds of protecting their interests. If you feel that it's restrictive and promotes male dominance, that's awesome since that's your opinion. Don't wear a burka. But you can't tell another woman who has equally chosen to wear it a sign of their faith that their choice is less valid simply because of your opinion.