Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 28th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Potato-Dancer

Name: Megan
Default GCSE's

I have to pick my GCSE subjects this year. I am picking Dance, Child development. I need to pick one more. I am not sure. I might do Art, photography or textiles.
I have to chose by January
Potato-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #2
devotionnel

devotionnel's Forum Picture

Name: shay
Default Re: GCSE's

I didn't do any of these but I knew people who did GCSE Art and Textiles, however this was the old GCSE.

Art is very intensive, i.e. my friend literally did art 24/7, sometimes she didn't have time to do other homeworks and easily spent upwards of 3-4 hours a day on weekdays doing her sketchbook. Saying she had to do a lot of research is an understatement. Going to many galleries and other places of interest is a must if you want the higher grades. She got an A* on her sketchbook and she truly put her blood sweat and tears into it. You have to be dedicated to do the subject imo.

Textiles is a little different, it follows a slightly different structure to art, but I guess you have to have the right eye for detail. I also recommend that you have to have a really good knowledge of the theory like learning about fabrics etc because I think the new spec is a 50/50 split between exam and coursework whereas it used to be 40/60.

Photography overlaps with art quite a lot in my opinion but I didn't have it as a GCSE at all in my school. I imagine it's a lot like art as you have to continue filling your portfolio and doing lots of research into the photos you take. More emphasis will be on visiting new places and other places where your peers are less likely to go, hidden gems that no one else will find. This is a definite must.

Hope this helps a bit and I hope you make a strong decision (:

i'm unstable, pull me through / call my name, i'm feeling blue
devotionnel ~ help and advice moderator
PM melast.fmVM me

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
devotionnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Potato-Dancer

Name: Megan
Default Re: GCSE's

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotionnel View Post
I didn't do any of these but I knew people who did GCSE Art and Textiles, however this was the old GCSE.

Art is very intensive, i.e. my friend literally did art 24/7, sometimes she didn't have time to do other homeworks and easily spent upwards of 3-4 hours a day on weekdays doing her sketchbook. Saying she had to do a lot of research is an understatement. Going to many galleries and other places of interest is a must if you want the higher grades. She got an A* on her sketchbook and she truly put her blood sweat and tears into it. You have to be dedicated to do the subject imo.

Textiles is a little different, it follows a slightly different structure to art, but I guess you have to have the right eye for detail. I also recommend that you have to have a really good knowledge of the theory like learning about fabrics etc because I think the new spec is a 50/50 split between exam and coursework whereas it used to be 40/60.

Photography overlaps with art quite a lot in my opinion but I didn't have it as a GCSE at all in my school. I imagine it's a lot like art as you have to continue filling your portfolio and doing lots of research into the photos you take. More emphasis will be on visiting new places and other places where your peers are less likely to go, hidden gems that no one else will find. This is a definite must.

Hope this helps a bit and I hope you make a strong decision (:
Thanks for the advice. It's difficult to chose. Apparently it's just exam work now not any course work, which sucks.
Potato-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote