Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old October 28th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #1
Potato-Dancer

Name: Megan
Default Do I have anxiety?

I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety disorders or anything. I always seem to worry about certain things. I know I have it if I worry so much. I think I have it. I suffer from anxiety attacks/panic attacks. Its actually embarrassing. I have them at school sometimes. I get over whelmed. Sometimes I feel sick. Like its getting smaller. Like I cant breathe.
How do I get diagnosed? Do I have to get a doctor to check?
Old October 28th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture

Default Re: Do I have anxiety?

Everyone gets anxiety. It's natural to worry about things, honestly it would be weirder if you didn't worry about things. Occasional anxiety attacks aren't particularly abnormal either. I've had a few myself over the years, and I know I don't have any anxiety disorder.

However, if you feel that you are much more worried than the average person concerning things, and that anxiety attacks are somewhat frequent with you, then it wouldn't hurt to see a professional like a psychologist. Self-diagnosis isn't that reliable from what I've heard, so seeing someone is your best route.
Old October 28th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Potato-Dancer

Name: Megan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Everyone gets anxiety. It's natural to worry about things, honestly it would be weirder if you didn't worry about things. Occasional anxiety attacks aren't particularly abnormal either. I've had a few myself over the years, and I know I don't have any anxiety disorder.

However, if you feel that you are much more worried than the average person concerning things, and that anxiety attacks are somewhat frequent with you, then it wouldn't hurt to see a professional like a psychologist. Self-diagnosis isn't that reliable from what I've heard, so seeing someone is your best route.
Thanks. If it starts getting worse my mum might take me to get checked out.
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Adarest

I worry about alot of things too, but I try to focus on more important things in life, like my grades and my safety. I am always thinking about where to walk and how not to bother other people in the hallways while moving to another class, or even if I should answer a question I know or not. Even if I present in front of class or something, I am always shaking and nervous to talk. Same with playing piano in front of other people.

Could be casual nervousness, but I wouldn't think its a problem. I think about everything really, but I don't know if this is considered my anxiety or just me being aware. Maybe we just have to be used to being around other people more often.
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #5
sazzzo
Member++

Name: Tess
Smile Re: Do I have anxiety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato-Dancer View Post
Thanks. If it starts getting worse my mum might take me to get checked out.
It would be good to get it checked out anyway. I hate going to see doctors etc because it's always horrible to tell them about stuff that's going wrong, but maybe it would be good to.
Old November 17th, 2017, 10:42 AM   #6
benbeny

Name: Benedictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adarest View Post
I worry about alot of things too, but I try to focus on more important things in life, like my grades and my safety. I am always thinking about where to walk and how not to bother other people in the hallways while moving to another class, or even if I should answer a question I know or not. Even if I present in front of class or something, I am always shaking and nervous to talk. Same with playing piano in front of other people.

Could be casual nervousness, but I wouldn't think its a problem. I think about everything really, but I don't know if this is considered my anxiety or just me being aware. Maybe we just have to be used to being around other people more often.
Have it interfered your life? Based on what you said it's a bit more of stress or mild anxiety. BUT I'm not a psychiatrist, better get it checked out.

A third year medical student
Feel free to PM me! I like to have new friends
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #7
KatieCO2003
Member++

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

Potato (cute name btw):
Like everyone said, occasional nervousness and anxiety is normal. But when it starts to limit your behavior or becomes dibilitating, then you need to see a professional. For me, I would feel like "I just couldn't do" something. And the more I tried, the more nervous I got about it until I was sick to the point of vomiting. That kept getting worse and worse and the list of things I "couldn't do" got bigger and bigger until I couldn't go out of the house, then out of my room.
My anxiety is related to physical and mental abuse and a traumatic event. I started having really bad flashbacks and my anxiety got so bad that I couldn't eat without just vomiting everything back up. I got super-sick from that, lost 23 pounds, and was put in the hospital for several weeks.
I now have a great team of doctors and therapists and I've been recovering for several months. I still have issues, but my meds work much better now and I've been teaching myself skills to cope with my natural reactions. I also have a PTSD support group that includes several former soldiers, and they have been really great because they understand.
If you feel like you're slipping down the slope of illness and your anxiety is becoming debilitating, I recommend seeing a professional.
--Katie
Old December 4th, 2017, 01:29 AM   #8
Chaosphere
Great Poster

Chaosphere's Forum Picture

Name: Alex
Location: Probably somewhere haunted or a secluded mountain path somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato-Dancer View Post
I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety disorders or anything. I always seem to worry about certain things. I know I have it if I worry so much. I think I have it. I suffer from anxiety attacks/panic attacks. Its actually embarrassing. I have them at school sometimes. I get over whelmed. Sometimes I feel sick. Like its getting smaller. Like I cant breathe.
How do I get diagnosed? Do I have to get a doctor to check?
To get diagnosed you have to go to a psychiatrist or PA. They can be found at many therapy places and doctor's offices. Insurance can cover a lot of their visits, at least here in America. Just because e you aren't diagnosed doesn't mean you can't manage it, just don't take it all on. You have people around you and people here like me that have anxiety and panic as well.

18, Male, bisexual, jellybean lover. Evolving every day. Giving my advice where I can and having some fun with it. Questions about anything are welcomed here and I'll try to give you satisfactory answers if I have them!
Old March 7th, 2018, 06:17 PM   #9
BryGuy

Name: Bryan

Sounds like generalized anxiety.
Old March 7th, 2018, 10:41 PM   #10
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

Please don't post in threads with more than two months inactivity, thanks
Closed Thread