Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 27th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #1
Sevun
Junior Member+

Name: Jeffrey
Default Help, friend wants to suicide

Hi

My friend of a friend, who is also my friend, wants to suicide because a group of kids are bullying her. There have been attempts to talk to teachers and the students bullying her but they have not worked. A couple of days ago, she attempted suicide, and I'm just trying to see how I can help.
Any advice?

Thanks
Sevun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #2
BloodyClaws

BloodyClaws's Forum Picture

Default Re: Help, friend wants to suicide

I am no expert, but calling a suicide hotline seems like the best thing you can do right now. They would be able to provide necessary advice and support.

http://www.suicide.org/hotlines/inte...-hotlines.html

And on your part, try to be a good listener, remind her that she is still a beautiful and unique person, no matter what the bullies want her to believe. Hope she becomes safe.

No need to be perfect; only good and kind!
BloodyClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 04:57 AM   #3
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

If shes serious, you need to tell someone you know will help. You, unfortunately, arent experienced enough to do much else than just be a good friend. And thats a huge part of it. If she knows she has a friend, shes may not wana let you down.

Do you know if she has a plan to do this?
Reason I ask is cause thinking about suicide, believe it or not, is somewhat normal. All depends in what context. If she has a plan to follow through, a way, means, Day, time etc, then shes past the point of being serious. And you need to tell her parents or teachers about this, and tell them everything you know

But most importantly, be her friend
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #4
Potato-Dancer

Name: Megan

Help her out. Find some hotlines for her. I know that some schools will set up counselling sessions and help the student through it. But I don't know if that's just my school. Just talk to her. Be really nice to her also, just don't pressure her to do something she doesn't want to do
Potato-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #5
Sevun
Junior Member+

Thanks for your support so far. I feel so helpless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyClaws View Post
I am no expert, but calling a suicide hotline seems like the best thing you can do right now. They would be able to provide necessary advice and support.

http://www.suicide.org/hotlines/inte...-hotlines.html

And on your part, try to be a good listener, remind her that she is still a beautiful and unique person, no matter what the bullies want her to believe. Hope she becomes safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
If shes serious, you need to tell someone you know will help. You, unfortunately, arent experienced enough to do much else than just be a good friend. And thats a huge part of it. If she knows she has a friend, shes may not wana let you down.

Do you know if she has a plan to do this?
Reason I ask is cause thinking about suicide, believe it or not, is somewhat normal. All depends in what context. If she has a plan to follow through, a way, means, Day, time etc, then shes past the point of being serious. And you need to tell her parents or teachers about this, and tell them everything you know

But most importantly, be her friend
I'm fairly sure she has a plan. My friend and I who know about her suicide attempts know that her parents would be unsupportive to change classes considering she took a test to join the G&T class and got in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato-Dancer View Post
Help her out. Find some hotlines for her. I know that some schools will set up counselling sessions and help the student through it. But I don't know if that's just my school. Just talk to her. Be really nice to her also, just don't pressure her to do something she doesn't want to do
Hm, I will try and bring that up again.
Again thanks all
Old October 28th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevun View Post
Thanks for your support so far. I feel so helpless.

I'm fairly sure she has a plan. My friend and I who know about her suicide attempts know that her parents would be unsupportive to change classes considering she took a test to join the G&T class and got in.

Hm, I will try and bring that up again.
Again thanks all

If she has a plan, then you should do something thing if you can to help her. The fact that her parents will be unsupportive cause of whatever kinda class!?!?!

Its not about class, its about her health and safety bro....find someone you can reach out to that can help
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #7
Sevun
Junior Member+

Quote:
If she has a plan, then you should do something thing if you can to help her. The fact that her parents will be unsupportive cause of whatever kinda class!?!?!

Its not about class, its about her health and safety bro....find someone you can reach out to that can help
I know right, we've got a support class where students just work on assignments alone in peace, and I feel she would be much better away from her bullies in the G&T class.
Yeah she is currently ok though because it's the weekend and she is away from her bullies, and when Monday comes around and school starts again, we'll be able to comfort her throughout the day.
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #8
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

You just hang in there with her and get her the help she needs. It's a shame that her own family doesn't believe her or do something positive and get her into a crisis center.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #9
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Quote:
I know right, we've got a support class where students just work on assignments alone in peace, and I feel she would be much better away from her bullies in the G&T class.
Yeah she is currently ok though because it's the weekend and she is away from her bullies, and when Monday comes around and school starts again, we'll be able to comfort her throughout the day.
Do you guys have anti bullying laws li,e we do here in the states?
Old October 30th, 2017, 05:05 AM   #10
Sevun
Junior Member+

Quote:
Do you guys have anti bullying laws li,e we do here in the states?
Fairly sure we do, normally this stuff doesn't happen often because we've been shown anti-bullying campaigns etc. repeatedly. I hope those bullies stop. I think she was okay today, so hopefully it will continue to be that way.
Old November 5th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #11
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

There's a few things I can think of. Some of them have already been said, but I'll summarize them:
- Make sure to inform her of her options for getting help (suicide hotlines, counseling, meditation/yoga/self-therapy, psychiatry, etc.).
- Make sure to be a good listener. That helps a lot.
- Only take her safety into your own hands (calling the police) when you feel that suicide is imminent or possibly imminent. If one day she seems particularly erratic or stops responding to phone calls or something, then do not hesitate to call her parents and ask them to check on her or something.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #12
dancedreamergirl
Banned

dancedreamergirl's Forum Picture

Name: Emily

Quote:
Hi

My friend of a friend, who is also my friend, wants to suicide because a group of kids are bullying her. There have been attempts to talk to teachers and the students bullying her but they have not worked. A couple of days ago, she attempted suicide, and I'm just trying to see how I can help.
Any advice?

Thanks
If she attempted suicide, I'm assuming parents and teachers and probably doctors already know about it, so at this point, there's probably not much you can do. However, letting her know she has a friend to go to for support might mean a lot to her, as well as standing up for her when she is bullied, if necessary. Sometimes when someone is in that state, they want to be alone, but sometimes, they really want a friend to confide in, and other times, they really would like a friend to hang out with and do fun stuff with so they can forget about their problems for awhile. I know from experience, because I have been suicidal and have felt all of those ways. So that being said, I would let her know that you care about her and are there for her if she ever needs to talk, and I'd add that if she wants to do something fun to make her forget about her problems for awhile, that you will do something fun with her. Just being there means a lot, even though you can't fix all her problems. Having support from someone might be what she needs to not be suicidal.

That being said, if you do those things and she still isn't improving, don't beat yourself up over it. But I would definitely at least try. Let her know you're there for her--it will mean a lot either way.
dancedreamergirl is offline   Reply With Quote