Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 24th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #1
Hayley14

Name: Hayley
Default I hate the way my parents make me dress

My parents basically think that the slightest cold weather can get me sick, so they always make me wear so much warm clothing when I don't even need it. My mom and I just went shopping and this is what I had to wear. My first layer was thermal long underwear top and bottom. Over that I wore jeans and a sweater. Then my mom made me put on snow pants, the bib kind with suspenders. Then I had to put on knee high fur lined boots. Next I had to put on a fleece jacket, over that a puffy jacket, and finally a huge winter coat. This coat is so thick and heavy that I struggle to bend my arms in it, and it's so long that it reaches my calves. I also had to wear a toque (hat), a muffler (scarf), a balaclava, my jacket's hood up, and my coat's hood up. I also had to wear thick mittens. Guess what it was only -5c (23F) outside! I'm by far the most bundled up person, and I overheat in all those layers. Plus it's so annoying carrying so much heavy winter gear around when I'm inside and then having to put it all back on.
Hayley14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #2
BlackParadePixie
Awesome Poster

BlackParadePixie's Forum Picture

Name: Fiona
Default Re: I hate the way my parents make me dress

sounds pretty cold to me.
Have you tried telling your mom that wearing that much stuff is uncomfortable??

17 - f - Wes Anderson fan

BlackParadePixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #3
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

That is basically every mom ever.

My mom is like that during snow days, always going on about how we need 5 layers of clothes to keep warm. Nowadays since she trusts me enough to stay warm, I can typically manage with just two. That is just moms for you, over-worrying about your safety. Your mom thinks she is doing the best for you. If you want her to stop dressing you so, probably the best course of action is just to have an honest conversation with her about it.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #4
evansk8

evansk8's Forum Picture

Name: Evan

Seems like overkill to me. But I live in a warm place. I still have jackets and stuff but don't have to worry about snow and all that. I'm know all about annoying mothers! You can talk with her or just start dressing yourself the way you want and she will eventually have to go with it. She can't fight you over it forever
evansk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #5
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

I live in a warm place and hate cold weather so guess I'd dass up like that when it's cold on my own.

But honestly, I think the others are right...you have to talk about it with your mother. She means well for sure but seems to overdo it.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #6
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I live in a cold environment my self. Well in the winter anyways. Dressing in layers is key to keeping warm, but also the right layers and the quality of the clothing for what youíre doing. If you canít move, then itís to much. You should have lots of freedom in movement. Thatís part of how youíll stay warm. Your body moves,makes heat,and stays inside your clothing. But if you canít move that wonít work

But also, even in 23 f weather, all I use is a base layer,a tight spandex type of material tops and bottom. Then snow pants. Then q quarter zip looser fit but same type of material and a good fitting winter jacket, and thatís it. Well hat and gloves to but...

Sounds like overkill and an over protective mom to me. Need to get her to cut the cord
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 03:29 PM   #7
shy_indian_chick

shy_indian_chick's Forum Picture

Name: Anu

I live in a pretty cold climate (chicago), and while 23F is pretty darn cold, that seems like overkill to me. Do you have any medical conditions that might account for your mom's overprotectiveness on this issue? For example, an auto-immune disorder that causes you to get sick easily, Reynaud's syndrome (circulatory system), or something like that? If there's no medical reason, I would just talk to her about it and explain that you know she wants you to remain safe and healthy, but wearing so many layers is both uncomfortable and inconvenient.
shy_indian_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:46 PM   #8
Hayley14

Name: Hayley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackParadePixie View Post
sounds pretty cold to me.
Have you tried telling your mom that wearing that much stuff is uncomfortable??
Yeah I always complain to my parents about how uncomfortable I am when I'm all bundled up but they still make me wear all this.
Hayley14 is offline   Reply With Quote