Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 12th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #1
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt
Default Paris to ban all gas-powered cars by 2030

They are already banning all diesel cars by 2024. And this is a real ban as oppose to France and other countries that are only banning the selling of cars.

Quote:
The noise of car engines revving around the streets of Paris might become just a memory.

In its latest initiative to reduce air pollution, Paris City Hall wants gasoline-powered cars off the roads by 2030. The controversial move announced Thursday follows Mayor Anne Hidalgo's plan to ban all diesel cars from the city by 2024, when Paris will host the Summer Olympics.

Speaking on France Info radio, the Paris deputy mayor in charge of transport, Christophe Nadjovski, said "we have planned the end of thermic vehicle use, and therefore of fossil energies, by 2030."

Many Parisians don't own a car, but Hidalgo still has angered many of them with her efforts to make Paris a greener city, notably by adding cycling paths that have slowed vehicle traffic along the Seine River. Her detractors have accused her of waging a war against cars.

Wary of those critics, Paris City Hall issued a statement Thursday insisting the 2030 deadline isn't a proper ban, but "a feasible and realistic" goal. The statement added that Paris officials would keep discussing the issue with residents and car makers in the coming months.

Paris has faced rising air pollution in the last few years. Some pollution spikes have been so bad they forced City Hall to bar half of all cars from travelling and to make public transportation free for several days.

Hidalgo has been seeking to reduce pollution with a series of measures. She has launched a program banning traffic from the famed Champs-Elysees Avenue once a month, introduced rental bicycles in the streets as well as a fleet of electric cars to encourage residents to leave their polluting vehicles at home.

In September 2016, Paris authorities decided to close a 3.5-kilometre downtown road and transform it into a promenade. A year later, the body measuring air pollution said the move had no significant impact on residents' exposure to carbon emissions across the whole city.

With her ambition of taking gasoline-powered cars off the Paris roads by 2030, Hidalgo wants to go faster than the French government. Environment Minister Nicolas Hulot has said he wants to banish from France all fossil fuel cars by 2040.

"This government goal affects the whole French territory, rural zones included," the Paris City Hall statement said. "If we want to achieve this, it implies that the end of diesel and gasoline should take place several years in advance in urban areas, and particularly in big cities."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pari...-ban-1.4351377

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #2
rioo
Member++

rioo's Forum Picture

Name: Rio
Default Re: Paris to ban all gas-powered cars by 2030

so is this for electric car marketing busines?
rioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #3
Living For Love
VT Lover

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioo View Post
Things like this tend to happen when you pay the right amount of money to the right group of people.

Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #4
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioo View Post
and for bicycles too. No this is just people in power doing what they can to keep, this planet habitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living For Love View Post
Things like this tend to happen when you pay the right amount of money to the right group of people.
If you mean corruption, just say corruption don't sugar coat it.

Straight Canadian boy
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #5
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

I'm sure Elon Musk is salivating over this. He and other 'green technology' investors already get hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars a year of government incentives and subsidies. Now governments are eliminating all their competition over questionable and often false claims. Yep, there is absolutely no dirty dealings here, for as we all know that politicians have never accepted bribes from businesses to promote anti-competitive regulations. Yep, that has never happened before, no sir-e
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #6
Living For Love
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
and for bicycles too. No this is just people in power doing what they can to keep, this planet habitable.
Or this is just French politicians being bribed.

Quote:
If you mean corruption, just say corruption don't sugar coat it.
What I mean is that you're vocal about your thought on corruption in the USA, for instance, and how the oil and coal companies influence politicians and senators to do what they want so that their businesses are protected. What I was saying is that, can't we also assume that the exact same thing happens when we see people creating laws that favour "green" companies like electric cars manufacturers or solar/photo-voltaic panels manufacturers. Basically, both lines of thought are equally valid.

~Mike was here~
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #7
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Quote:
Or this is just French politicians being bribed.

What I mean is that you're vocal about your thought on corruption in the USA, for instance, and how the oil and coal companies influence politicians and senators to do what they want so that their businesses are protected. What I was saying is that, can't we also assume that the exact same thing happens when we see people creating laws that favour "green" companies like electric cars manufacturers or solar/photo-voltaic panels manufacturers. Basically, both lines of thought are equally valid.
Except that in France corruption is illegal. In the US its not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
I'm sure Elon Musk is salivating over this. He and other 'green technology' investors already get hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars a year of government incentives and subsidies. Now governments are eliminating all their competition over questionable and often false claims. Yep, there is absolutely no dirty dealings here, for as we all know that politicians have never accepted bribes from businesses to promote anti-competitive regulations. Yep, that has never happened before, no sir-e
When those industries becomes profitable and are able to survive on their own they won't need subsidies anymore and we should stop giving them those subsidies I bet you would like that.

Straight Canadian boy

Last edited by mattsmith48; October 13th, 2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Living For Love
VT Lover

Quote:
Except that in France corruption is illegal. In the US its not.
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My argument is still valid when it comes to US politicians creating laws that favour green companies. Do you have any evidence that the USA government enforces corruption or allows it to happen?

~Mike was here~
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #9
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Quote:
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My argument is still valid when it comes to US politicians creating laws that favour green companies. Do you have any evidence that the USA government enforces corruption or allows it to happen?
If you want to talk about corruption you should start another thread I'll answer your question than.

Straight Canadian boy
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #10
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

I saw some study where to make and operate an eletric car in the US is not that much eco-friendlier than a fossil fuel one, since most of the power in the US is made from thermoelectric power plants. Still, to make the electric car, you need to mine and refine lithium which is a very dirty process too, especially because lithium batteries have a shorter lifespan than fuel tanks and they serve the same purpose technically. I mean if most of your power grid are nuclear reactors or hydroelectric dams, sure, it can be cleaner in the long run, but for now we are too dependent on fossil fuels to be able to make the transition naturally.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #11
azurzg
Member+

azurzg's Forum Picture

Name: Azur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
I saw some study where to make and operate an eletric car in the US is not that much eco-friendlier than a fossil fuel one, since most of the power in the US is made from thermoelectric power plants.
This may be partially true for the US, but is certainly not true for EU.

Quote:
Still, to make the electric car, you need to mine and refine lithium which is a very dirty process too, especially because lithium batteries have a shorter lifespan than fuel tanks and they serve the same purpose technically.
As more batteries are made, technology will improve.
azurzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #12
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Quote:
I saw some study where to make and operate an eletric car in the US is not that much eco-friendlier than a fossil fuel one, since most of the power in the US is made from thermoelectric power plants. Still, to make the electric car, you need to mine and refine lithium which is a very dirty process too, especially because lithium batteries have a shorter lifespan than fuel tanks and they serve the same purpose technically. I mean if most of your power grid are nuclear reactors or hydroelectric dams, sure, it can be cleaner in the long run, but for now we are too dependent on fossil fuels to be able to make the transition naturally.
It depends where you live how power is generated and you can easily find that out with a quick google search. Even in a country like the US they are places where electricity comes in majority from renewable sources. And if you lives somewhere that is not the case nothing stops you from installing solar panels on your roof and charge your car with that.

Straight Canadian boy
Old October 19th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #13
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurzg View Post
This may be partially true for the US, but is certainly not true for EU.

As more batteries are made, technology will improve.
Yes, demand breeds innovation, but when you try to force it down like this, it can only gp bad.

Quote:
It depends where you live how power is generated and you can easily find that out with a quick google search. Even in a country like the US they are places where electricity comes in majority from renewable sources. And if you lives somewhere that is not the case nothing stops you from installing solar panels on your roof and charge your car with that.
What if I live in an apartment in a city? Or simply live in a poorer country and cannot afford neither an electric car nor solar panels nor the electricity bills.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:47 AM   #14
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

Is there any evidence of bribery here? If it is bribery, then I think we can all agree that that is wrong. However, I don't think that it's obviously bribery. Realistically, this is just a logical step towards a more eco-friendly world as the population continues to grow and climate change continues to sink islands.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote