Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old October 8th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan
Default Is Fasting a Healthy Coping Method?

I barely eat because I'm depressed. It's very rare that I get actually hungry and, when I do, it's usually a mild sense of hunger that I could get through without eating if I put a conscious effort into it. I do eat a little bit every day though, usually out of habit and mindlessness rather than hunger, though. I feel that if I really put an effort into not eating, it would in some sense take my mind off of depression and numb me mentally.

That being said, is fasting a healthy coping method? I get that my body needs food to grow and all, but I could certainly go for quite some time without eating and still be alive and somewhat capable of daily activities. My weight is quite low already for my age and height (17 years old, and 5'6" about 130 pounds if I remember correctly). For some reason, I feel like I really want to get to a point where I am somewhat severely malnourished and my ribs can be clearly seen, and then I'll start eating again. It almost feels as if it would make me feel more in control of my life, like it would remind me that I have power over what I do and think.

What do you guys think?
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #2
BlackParadePixie
Awesome Poster

BlackParadePixie's Forum Picture

Name: Fiona

Fasting, in itself....when done properly and especially under the supervision of a doctor's instructions can be a useful and healthy thing for the body. But to do it to "cope"? No. It's the same mentality as someone who binges on food, or alcohol, to "cope". If you're doing something detrimental to your body to deal with depression, then you're not dealing with the root cause of the depression...you're basically just tossing a wet blanket onto a forest fire.

One thing I just thought of... some people use fasting and meditation together to clear their minds and cleanse their bodies. I think if you used fasting with meditation, for the purposes of trying to improve your mental health...that might be an option.

posts merged. ~Endeavour

17 - f - Wes Anderson fan

Last edited by Endeavour; October 8th, 2017 at 02:56 PM.
BlackParadePixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #3
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie
Default Re: Is Fasting a Healthy Coping Method?

I agree with Flona. Fasting for diet reasons to loose weight should be supervised by a doctor or dietician. Some religions fast for a season of there religion for a short time. You are young and need nutrition for your body. You can actually do permanent damage to your body by starving it. You need to eat well balanced meals. I think you should go to your doctor and get some help to deal with your depression. I did and it's helped me.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote