Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #1
Sevun
Member
 
Sevun's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: September 5, 2014
Location: Aussie!
Gender: Male
Exclamation Sound of my voice

Okay, so for the past few years, I've been labelled as "gay" and been thought to be gay from first impressions due to my voice. I love speaking, I'm very chatty, and I actually thrive in public speaking. Problem? My voice.

In recordings, when I listen back, it sounds so unlike me (yes, I know it's supposed to sound different in your head because the way your body is structured etc.), considering I am straight.

I also have all these feminine gestures, and I'd just like to find a way to stop myself from speaking in that stereotypical "gay" manner. It's incredibly frustrating, because people think I'm something I am not, and I just don't want them to get the wrong impression.

Please help!
Sevun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Vegas2933
Member++
 
Vegas2933's Forum Picture
 
Name: Dylan
Join Date: October 19, 2014
Location: The UK
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

If you're not gay, ignore them. You embrace the fact that you thrive in public speaking and just pretend they don't exist. Your voice will drop eventually if it hasn't already.

16 and Bi. Lives in the UK.

Happy to answer anyone's questions!

And to meet and chat with new people!
Vegas2933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #3
jamie_n5
VT Lover
 
jamie_n5's Forum Picture
 
Name: Jamie
Join Date: June 27, 2016
Location: Minnesota
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Sound of my voice

You should ignore the stupid people. There many feminine men and they are straight as an arrow. There are also pro football type macho men that are gay. So you see it can go both ways. Just be proud of who you are and go on speaking and gesturing what comes natural to you. The hell with those jerks that love to mouth off and put down others.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #4
ska8er
VT Lover
 
ska8er's Forum Picture
 
Name: Andy
Join Date: August 23, 2013
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

U cant change the way u speak or gesture
or walk no matter how u try. If that is natural
for u-u have to live with it. If anyone questions
it-it is none of their business and u don't have
to answer them.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 05:49 PM   #5
noah.whynot
Member
 
Name: Noah
Join Date: September 16, 2017
Location: Canada
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

The way you speak and your gestures are just the way you are. Ignorant people will assume that this somehow automatically means you must be gay. Do your best to ignore them and don't feel like you have to explain yourself to them.
noah.whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 07:37 PM   #6
Hermes
VT Lover
 
Join Date: October 15, 2010
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

As I have said in other posts I think it is fine to be yourself and not feel obliged to make cosmetic changes because of others.

You also need to be realistic because there are some aspects of your voice that you cannot change because they are related to dimensions in your head and throat. On the other hand you may have more control than you think. Think how people in different parts of the country of even in different parts of the world have different accents, i.e. they make different sounds with their voices because they have grown up copying different sounds from those around them, not because of anatomical differences. While you normally learn your accent when you first learn to speak it is not set in stone and can adapt. Accent are mostly about slighly different vowel sound and some sound more high pitched than others - for example in the UK the Newcastle accent sounds higher pitched to my ears than the accent near where I live. Also people sing which involves changing the basic pitch of the sound they are making (the fundamental) and you can vary the pitch in speech too. In fact we often do it without realising it, using a higher pitch when talking to someone we see as being in authority over us and using a deeper pitch when we want to assert authority. If you have a dog you probably use that "authoritative voice" when giving commands to the dog to show him you're the boss.

So, experiment. Don't do anything that seems like a strain, though or continue doing anything which makes you hoarse.

Some people have been coached to improve their public speaking voices and actors will often receive training in this regard including breathing from the diaphragm and developing resonance - something with overlaps quite a lot with some singing training.

Finally, if your voice has not fully finished changing then do allow time for that.
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:42 PM   #7
presh jasper
Junior Member+
 
Name: emy
Join Date: March 8, 2016
Gender: Male
Thumbs up Re: Sound of my voice

Technically it's embrassing , i know what it feels like, u know what i do i speak up, tell them its not ur fault ok?.

am 15, open to any conversation PM me if you wana chat or discuss any thing it doesn't matter
presh jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #8
Sevun
Member
 
Sevun's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: September 5, 2014
Location: Aussie!
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas2933 View Post
If you're not gay, ignore them. You embrace the fact that you thrive in public speaking and just pretend they don't exist. Your voice will drop eventually if it hasn't already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
As I have said in other posts I think it is fine to be yourself and not feel obliged to make cosmetic changes because of others.

You also need to be realistic because there are some aspects of your voice that you cannot change because they are related to dimensions in your head and throat. On the other hand you may have more control than you think. Think how people in different parts of the country of even in different parts of the world have different accents, i.e. they make different sounds with their voices because they have grown up copying different sounds from those around them, not because of anatomical differences. While you normally learn your accent when you first learn to speak it is not set in stone and can adapt. Accent are mostly about slighly different vowel sound and some sound more high pitched than others - for example in the UK the Newcastle accent sounds higher pitched to my ears than the accent near where I live. Also people sing which involves changing the basic pitch of the sound they are making (the fundamental) and you can vary the pitch in speech too. In fact we often do it without realising it, using a higher pitch when talking to someone we see as being in authority over us and using a deeper pitch when we want to assert authority. If you have a dog you probably use that "authoritative voice" when giving commands to the dog to show him you're the boss.

So, experiment. Don't do anything that seems like a strain, though or continue doing anything which makes you hoarse.

Some people have been coached to improve their public speaking voices and actors will often receive training in this regard including breathing from the diaphragm and developing resonance - something with overlaps quite a lot with some singing training.

Finally, if your voice has not fully finished changing then do allow time for that.
Yeah, my voice has pretty much dropped I think, which sucks, because it can't change anymore :/ I actually can go pretty deep, I just don't naturally speak like that, and I can probably speak deeper if I wanted to... but I don't do that currently.

It's so frustrating, and I thought I got over it, but the worry has come back again. I mean, I guess I could just restrain myself a tiny bit.
Sevun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 02:02 AM   #9
Vegas2933
Member++
 
Vegas2933's Forum Picture
 
Name: Dylan
Join Date: October 19, 2014
Location: The UK
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

As I said, ignore them. I'm sure thier voices aren't perfect either.

16 and Bi. Lives in the UK.

Happy to answer anyone's questions!

And to meet and chat with new people!
Vegas2933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 06:32 AM   #10
Sevun
Member
 
Sevun's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: September 5, 2014
Location: Aussie!
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas2933 View Post
As I said, ignore them. I'm sure thier voices aren't perfect either.
Okay I get you, but I don't think I've made it clear enough that I hate my voice as well? It's incredibly annoying to me and I just wish it could be different :/
Sevun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:19 AM   #11
Hermes
VT Lover
 
Join Date: October 15, 2010
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevun View Post
Okay I get you, but I don't think I've made it clear enough that I hate my voice as well? It's incredibly annoying to me and I just wish it could be different :/
I certainly thought you meant that you wanted to sound different for yourself and not just to appease others which is why I wrote what I did and didn't just stop at suggesting you become thicker skinned.

So if you want to change you have to decide to do so. If you listen to someone reading an commercially available audio book or dramatising a radio play you probably find it much more engaging than if you got someone in your class to read the same text. That's because the people who record these things have practiced so they have control over their voices, so they can use different volume and different tones to convey different emotions. This is all learned behaviour - we don't spring out of the womb talking but learn to do it and we also learn to be expressive when we read and speak.

Of course, it is hard to practice that when just having a conversation with a friend because you are thinking about what to say rather than how to say it but you mentioned public speaking - delivering a speech is the perfect time to do some of this and you can even practice before the actual speech and have an excuse for doing so. If you practice using more of your voice in a situation like that some of that is bound to rub off on your normal speech.

Last edited by Hermes; September 27th, 2017 at 11:03 AM.
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #12
Vegas2933
Member++
 
Vegas2933's Forum Picture
 
Name: Dylan
Join Date: October 19, 2014
Location: The UK
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevun View Post
Okay I get you, but I don't think I've made it clear enough that I hate my voice as well? It's incredibly annoying to me and I just wish it could be different :/
Be proud of who you! That "weird" voice of yours makes you, you.

16 and Bi. Lives in the UK.

Happy to answer anyone's questions!

And to meet and chat with new people!
Vegas2933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 01:32 AM   #13
Sevun
Member
 
Sevun's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: September 5, 2014
Location: Aussie!
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
I certainly thought you meant that you wanted to sound different for yourself and not just to appease others which is why I wrote what I did and didn't just stop at suggesting you become thicker skinned.

So if you want to change you have to decide to do so. If you listen to someone reading an commercially available audio book or dramatising a radio play you probably find it much more engaging than if you got someone in your class to read the same text. That's because the people who record these things have practiced so they have control over their voices, so they can use different volume and different tones to convey different emotions. This is all learned behaviour - we don't spring out of the womb talking but learn to do it and we also learn to be expressive when we read and speak.

Of course, it is hard to practice that when just having a conversation with a friend because you are thinking about what to say rather than how to say it but you mentioned public speaking - delivering a speech is the perfect time to do some of this and you can even practice before the actual speech and have an excuse for doing so. If you practice using more of your voice in a situation like that some of that is bound to rub off on your normal speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas2933 View Post
Be proud of who you! That "weird" voice of yours makes you, you.
Okay, thanks for all your help guys! It has really helped me
Sevun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #14
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Cedrick
Join Date: December 14, 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

Homosexuality is a sexual orientation. It isn't hand gestures or the sound of one's voice. Keep that in mind, be confident, and keep your head up. It sounds like you have many talents so try to focus on those.


Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #15
martinpajero
Banned
 
Join Date: June 6, 2017
Gender: Male
Default Re: Sound of my voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
Homosexuality is a sexual orientation. It isn't hand gestures or the sound of one's voice. Keep that in mind, be confident, and keep your head up. It sounds like you have many talents so try to focus on those.
this basically, do whatever you're comfortable with and avoid paying too much attention to people who just want to piss you off
martinpajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org