Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [4]

Old September 18th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #21
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt
Default Re: College Football/NFL Discussion 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackParadePixie View Post
lol Chargers are terrible still, and have no fan base in L.A. Now even less people will root for them if they keep losing. I hope Spanos chokes on his own tears from all of this humiliation.
This is what happens when you only want to making money and move a team without one second thinking if the market can and will support a team, let alone two.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #22
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
This is what happens when you only want to making money and move a team without one second thinking if the market can and will support a team, let alone two.
and the real thing of it is, the NFL team/s (I know at least the Rams were once in LA) which were there before didn't succeed. It is why the Rams moved to St. Louis. It is just not an NFL city. College football yes. NBA yes. NFL? no and it wasn't because they had no team. I think the majority of NFL fans who are in LA are fans of teams outside of LA. Whether Raiders or 49ers or from everywhere else in the country since so many people from to LA from all over. unless one of those two teams start becoming super successful, they're never going to have a large fan base there. at least I don't see it happening.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #23
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
and the real thing of it is, the NFL team/s (I know at least the Rams were once in LA) which were there before didn't succeed. It is why the Rams moved to St. Louis. It is just not an NFL city. College football yes. NBA yes. NFL? no and it wasn't because they had no team. I think the majority of NFL fans who are in LA are fans of teams outside of LA. Whether Raiders or 49ers or from everywhere else in the country since so many people from to LA from all over. unless one of those two teams start becoming super successful, they're never going to have a large fan base there. at least I don't see it happening.
I think the only one who have enough of a fan base in LA is the Raiders. If they were to move a team there it should have been the Raiders.

I think the NFL is getting what they deserve after spending the last two decades threatening to move almost half the teams to LA if those teams didn't get a new free stadium from the tax payers. The Rams and Chargers had a good fan base and following in their former city, same with the Raiders they are one of the most popular teams in the NFL, but because they play in a piece a shit stadium, sometimes literally thanks to the sewer problems they've had over the past couple years, and they are too cheap to build a new one they are moving in Vegas, because money.

Straight Canadian boy
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #24
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Whats with all the upsets this week?

Straight Canadian boy
Old September 24th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #25
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Whats with all the upsets this week?
man in both college football and the NFL there were upsets left and right. I am not sure. it is just one of those weird weeks. it is early still in both college football land the NFL. sometimes it takes a couple of teams to wake up and really show what they can do. injuries for some teams begin to pile up. then some of the games, the favorite just gets caught napping and are taking to the woodshed for it. rough week for picking though haha

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #26
jasondrums

1. This USC/Washington State game is pretty good.
2. Penn State being so good after the BS they pulled pisses me off. The NCAA should have wiped that football program off the face of the earth.
jasondrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #27
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondrums View Post
1. This USC/Washington State game is pretty good.
2. Penn State being so good after the BS they pulled pisses me off. The NCAA should have wiped that football program off the face of the earth.
I didn't watch the USC game but wow what an upset. It would have been a great game to watch.

I agree with the frustration about Penn State. when the news came out about what happened, I remembered thinking their program should have received the sports death penalty. I hate it when people try to defend Joe Paterno. I guess the only thing I will say now is the players who are playing are innocent in the matter and the coaches and people who were involved are either in jail, dead, or no longer have anything to do with the program. still, the sports death penalty would have indeed been a very fitting punishment

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 30th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #28
Mrsaxoman

Name: Nicholas

Quote:
I didn't watch the USC game but wow what an upset. It would have been a great game to watch.

I agree with the frustration about Penn State. when the news came out about what happened, I remembered thinking their program should have received the sports death penalty. I hate it when people try to defend Joe Paterno. I guess the only thing I will say now is the players who are playing are innocent in the matter and the coaches and people who were involved are either in jail, dead, or no longer have anything to do with the program. still, the sports death penalty would have indeed been a very fitting punishment
Then USC/WSU game was a really fun game to watch. I was only able to actually watch the second half but it was great.

I haven’t been able to watch ESPN much this week so I actually have no idea what happened with Penn State.
Mrsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #29
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsaxoman View Post
Then USC/WSU game was a really fun game to watch. I was only able to actually watch the second half but it was great.

I haven’t been able to watch ESPN much this week so I actually have no idea what happened with Penn State.
few years ago? it was found Jerry Sandusky had been raping boys for years and Penn State covered it up to protect their football program. you have never heard any of that?

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 30th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #30
Harrier
Awesome Poster

Quote:

The WSU/USC game was awesome! Ya the death penalty is stupid. The people at Penn State now did nothing wrong.
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #31
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The WSU/USC game was awesome! Ya the death penalty is stupid. The people at Penn State now did nothing wrong.
we're talking about when it happened which would have included now. children were molested. it isn't something to shrug your shoulders about. they shouldn't be playing because the program should have been shut down. they can't go back and do anything about it now as far as shutting it down. don't act like it is not a big deal because it is

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 30th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #32
Harrier
Awesome Poster

Quote:
we're talking about when it happened which would have included now. children were molested. it isn't something to shrug your shoulders about. they shouldn't be playing because the program should have been shut down. they can't go back and do anything about it now as far as shutting it down. don't act like it is not a big deal because it is
I wasnt. Not at all. Simply stated that THESE players/coaches didn't do anything wrong (the same thing YOU said in an earlier post). i would have NO problem if the NCAA gave Penn St. the "death penalty" cuz the death penalty isn't really death. They only last 1-4 years!!! I wiki'd it and this is what I found:

The death penalty is the popular term for the National Collegiate Athletic Association's power to ban a school from competing in a sport for at least one year. It is the harshest penalty that an NCAA member school can receive.

It has been implemented only five times:
The University of Kentucky basketball program for the 1952–53 season.[1]
The basketball program at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) for the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons.
The Southern Methodist University football program for the 1987 season.
The Division II men's soccer program at Morehouse College for the 2004 and 2005 seasons.
The Division III men's tennis program at MacMurray College for the 2005–06 and 2006–07 seasons.

In addition to schools that received the "death penalty" from the NCAA, some schools voluntarily dropped sports programs for extended periods of time due to high-profile scandals. The most notable examples were in 1951, when Long Island University shut down its entire athletic program following the involvement of its men's basketball team in a point shaving scandal, and in the 1980s, when two other Division I men's basketball programs, at the University of San Francisco (1982) and Tulane University (1985), self-imposed "death penalties" after revelations of major NCAA violations. These "death penalties" lasted three and four seasons, respectively. The next self-imposed "death penalty" by a Division I school took place in 2015, when Western Kentucky University (WKU) shut down its men's and women's swimming and diving teams after an investigation into alleged hazing.
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #33
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
I wasnt. Not at all. Simply stated that THESE players/coaches didn't do anything wrong (the same thing YOU said in an earlier post). i would have NO problem if the NCAA gave Penn St. the "death penalty" cuz the death penalty isn't really death. They only last 1-4 years!!! I wiki'd it and this is what I found:

The death penalty is the popular term for the National Collegiate Athletic Association's power to ban a school from competing in a sport for at least one year. It is the harshest penalty that an NCAA member school can receive.

It has been implemented only five times:
The University of Kentucky basketball program for the 1952–53 season.[1]
The basketball program at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) for the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons.
The Southern Methodist University football program for the 1987 season.
The Division II men's soccer program at Morehouse College for the 2004 and 2005 seasons.
The Division III men's tennis program at MacMurray College for the 2005–06 and 2006–07 seasons.

In addition to schools that received the "death penalty" from the NCAA, some schools voluntarily dropped sports programs for extended periods of time due to high-profile scandals. The most notable examples were in 1951, when Long Island University shut down its entire athletic program following the involvement of its men's basketball team in a point shaving scandal, and in the 1980s, when two other Division I men's basketball programs, at the University of San Francisco (1982) and Tulane University (1985), self-imposed "death penalties" after revelations of major NCAA violations. These "death penalties" lasted three and four seasons, respectively. The next self-imposed "death penalty" by a Division I school took place in 2015, when Western Kentucky University (WKU) shut down its men's and women's swimming and diving teams after an investigation into alleged hazing.

you sounded indifferent in your post. and they can last more than a year to four, esp when children were being raped for decades. then people try to defend Paterno and the Penn State program it is truly disgusting. I still understand why people want to see it happen. it is not going to happen at this point. but when children were being raped, surely you can see why some people still want to see it happen.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #34
Harrier
Awesome Poster

Quote:
you sounded indifferent in your post. and they can last more than a year to four, esp when children were being raped for decades. then people try to defend Paterno and the Penn State program it is truly disgusting. I still understand why people want to see it happen. it is not going to happen at this point. but when children were being raped, surely you can see why some people still want to see it happen.
Nope. Not really indifferent. At the time I thought it was the worst thing ever. I liked Penn State (sort of, I mean for a west coast person, I watched them). But I lost all respect for Paterno obv. I just haven't really thought much about them in 5-6 years. The program has sucked until this year. But I feel strongly that you don't punish other people for other people's mistakes! And i agree the NCAA CAN penalize them for as long as they want, I was just giving you facts that the so-called death penalty has only been used rarely and only for 1-4 years. Had they given the school the so-called death penalty it likely would be over by now. but again, ya, that assistant coach is a sicko and Paterno is as bad for knowing about it and covering it up.
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #35
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Nope. Not really indifferent. At the time I thought it was the worst thing ever. I liked Penn State (sort of, I mean for a west coast person, I watched them). But I lost all respect for Paterno obv. I just haven't really thought much about them in 5-6 years. The program has sucked until this year. But I feel strongly that you don't punish other people for other people's mistakes! And i agree the NCAA CAN penalize them for as long as they want, I was just giving you facts that the so-called death penalty has only been used rarely and only for 1-4 years. Had they given the school the so-called death penalty it likely would be over by now. but again, ya, that assistant coach is a sicko and Paterno is as bad for knowing about it and covering it up.
and that's the only point I was trying to make. I understand the rule, statue of limitations, all of that. but I also understand why people still feel so strongly the way they do. I will never, ever root or cheer for Penn State in anyway. it will forever be tainted, esp when the university is considering putting Paterno's statue back up if they haven't done so already. wasn't trying to start anything.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #36
Harrier
Awesome Poster

Quote:
and that's the only point I was trying to make. I understand the rule, statue of limitations, all of that. but I also understand why people still feel so strongly the way they do. I will never, ever root or cheer for Penn State in anyway. it will forever be tainted, esp when the university is considering putting Paterno's statue back up if they haven't done so already. wasn't trying to start anything.
It's fine. I didn't hear they were thinking about putting the statue back up.
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #37
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
It's fine. I didn't hear they were thinking about putting the statue back up.
I know many of the fans were pushing for it very strongly. I thought I read at some point (not recently) they university was considering it. I could have misread that part.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 30th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #38
teenboyNathan
Nice Poster

Name: Nathan

Quote:
I know many of the fans were pushing for it very strongly. I thought I read at some point (not recently) they university was considering it. I could have misread that part.
I think in like 15 years they'll put it back up because he is their greatest coach but not in the near future because the situation is still fresh in people's minds. And I do agree they should've gotten the death penalty

PM me anytime for a chat

15|Straight-Curious|
teenboyNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #39
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenboyNathan View Post
I think in like 15 years they'll put it back up because he is their greatest coach but not in the near future because the situation is still fresh in people's minds. And I do agree they should've gotten the death penalty
he sat by and let children be raped so they could keep playing football. he may not have raped nay children, but he allowed it to happen. he is a monster. maybe we should put statues of Hitler back up in Germany too. after all, he only helped kill 13 million innocent people in the concentration camps, the millions more that died in the war, but hey, he was a fine public speaker now wasn't he. Paterno is a monster for what he did.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:24 AM   #40
Mrsaxoman

Name: Nicholas

Quote:
few years ago? it was found Jerry Sandusky had been raping boys for years and Penn State covered it up to protect their football program. you have never heard any of that?
I really only started getting into college football the last couple years. And sports as a whole since my junior and senior year of highschool. So no, I hadn’t heard about it. But after reading through all the comments that is terrible. I understand giving them the death penalty but I would hate punishing the current students for it. They should have gotten it back when it happened though.
Mrsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote