Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 6th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #1
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth
Default College Football/NFL Discussion 2017

@mattsmith48 is starting a NFL pool for VT here http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh....php?t=2039931. We did it a couple of years ago and it was a lot of fun so I recommend people joining.

This thread is for talking about college football and the NFL, whether your doing the pool or not. Instead of making separate ones, I figured we could combine them. So any thoughts, predictions, outcries against bad calls, injuries, whatever you want to talk about regarding college and the NFL, here is the place to do it. Edit: for those who want to talk about the CFL (Canadian Football League) if there are those here that follow it, you may also def feel free to add your talk here as well. I can;t change the title, but you can still feel free to contribute.

It was an exciting week for college football. There were a lot of big games, some huge comebacks (I guess the real major upset had to be Maryland taking down Texas). My Wolverines, despite losing 10 of their 11 defensive starters did not let Florida score an offensive touchdown. In fact, if it wasn't for giving up two pick sixes we would have won by 30+. Still won by 16 against a talented Florida team so I am not complaining.

Elliot is still being able to play the game on Sunday when it is the Giants at Dallas. There is a possibility he will go the Tom Brady route and try to take it to an outside court but it is likely to have the same result and even if he manages to hold the suspension off till next season, it will still most likely happen. He might get some type of last minute deal but he may be better off serving it this season then not having to worry about next year when they may even have a better chance.

Patriots are the favorite to win of course. I hate saying that but it is true. I think it will come down between the Patriots and Steelers in the AFC and the Packers and Seahawks in the NFC. The Packers host the Seahawks this Sunday so it will be a super huge win for the Packers (and super hard) and could really get our season rolling (Go Pack Go!)

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth

Last edited by SethfromMI; September 6th, 2017 at 08:21 PM.
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #2
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt
Default Re: College Football/NFL Discussion 2017

My money is on the Giants to win the Super Bowl over the Patriots, because it would be really fun to see it happen again.

@SethfromMI You forgot about the CFL.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #3
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
My money is on the Giants to win the Super Bowl over the Patriots, because it would be really fun to see it happen again.

@SethfromMI You forgot about the CFL.
Canadian Football League? I will edit it in my post.

Giants are one of those interesting teams because they got some weapons on offense and defense but you never know if they can put it together. It would be awesome to see them beat the Pats (though I would rather have my Packers beat the Pats haha) though a third time around I would almost think Brady would have to win

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #4
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Other news on the NFL the Dolphins vs Buccaneers game as been reschedule to week 11 because of Hurricane Irma, both teams were schedule to have their bye on week 11 they'll have it this week instead.

Straight Canadian boy
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #5
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Well I am going to guess even not many Chiefs fans had their team beating the Patriots. some bad injuries on both sides, but man, the Patriots just did not look good. their at home, expected to win big and not only is the Patriots defense sloppy but even Tom Brady did not look quite like the Tim Brady we have seen in the past. I am not saying we will not see the real Tom Brady this season but that being said, QB's age too and 40 is around the age where many begin to decline. My favorite QB of all time, Brett Favre, ironically had one of the best statistical years of his career at 40 (considering he won the MVP 3 times in a row in the 90's that is quite impressive). But a lot of it is because Favre finally had a great O-Line and a great running game. He also changed his style a little bit. Even Brady, who has kept himself healthy, has to age at some point. There will be a point where he is just not going to be as good and I am not going to over react from just one game, but it is something I would follow a little closer and just to see if he is going to get better or if he is going to continue to have struggles. Anyways, despite the Chiefs winning gives me a loss in some of the pools I am in, I think it is great for football to see them beat the Patriots at Foxboro

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:36 AM   #6
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

The Chiefs played with fire, they got lot of penalties.

Straight Canadian boy
Old September 9th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #7
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Great weekend for college football. some huge and very close games (ND and Georgia came down to under the last two minutes. Oklahoma beat OSU. That is not surprising, but I think the manner in which they did is.I thought Buckeyes would win as much as I hate them. They won in Norman last year and they should have won this year being better and this time being in Columbus. My Wolverines won though not as impressively as they should have. Last week in my pool I only lost one game that I picked. Lost 3 already this week. oh well, good thing I am not betting money haha. sad about Hurricane Irma, not because it cancelled games but because of the destruction coming. Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone effected by it

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 10th, 2017, 02:13 AM   #8
Mrsaxoman

Mrsaxoman's Forum Picture

Name: Nicholas

I completely agree Seth. It was a pretty good week. My Huskies won, even though I didn't get to watch much of it. And it was also great to see the Wolverines win, although I only saw the 4th quarter I did keep track of it until then. The WSU cougars also rallied from 21 points down to win it in the 3rd overtime which was a lot of fun to watch. I'm pretty excited for next week since I actually get to go to the Huskies game, and I'm sure it'll be another good week of college football.
Mrsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #9
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

In the CFL, week 12 ended with a rare triple header, I only got to watch the 1st game. Hamilton jumping to a early lead taking advantage of the Redblacks bad first half, Hamilton leading 23-4 at halftime, Ottawa trying to comeback good job by the Tiger-Cats to hold on, staying undefeated since the coaching change last week, good to see them bouncing back after starting the season 0-8 and thanks to a weak east division only 4 points out of a playoffs spot.

For what happen Friday great win for the Lions taking advantage of having two good QBs for the second time this year, finally ending the three game losing streak, sad to see Lulay go down tho, team suspect a torn ALC waiting MRI to confirm it, but the Lions expect that Lulay's season is over.

Jags won and I missed it

double posts merged. ~ Val

Straight Canadian boy

Last edited by xXl0sth0peXx; September 12th, 2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old September 10th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #10
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Jags won and I missed it
I blew a lot of the NFL games I am much better at picking college (only got two wrong all day with college compared with 5 or 6 for the NFL haha). I didn't watch the Jags game but they spanked Houston. I was wondering with the Jags QB situation and I figured Houston had the defense to stop them. are the Jags your team.

I had David Johnson for fantasy (I still do, even though he is injured). one of my best weapons injured in week 1. I wanted to cry.

my Packers looked good against Seattle. Some bad calls were made for sure, but Packers still would have won. We actually looked decent a lot of the game on defense which was a nice surprise. took us till the second half to get the offense woke up but when Rodgers did, he was typical Aaron Rodgers.

Lions woke up second half against Cardinals ( David Johnson )

the game tonight might be interesting, though without OBJ, I don't think it will be as good. already had Cowboys winning, him being out certainly doesn't help the Giants chances of winning

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 11th, 2017, 02:02 AM   #11
Mrsaxoman

Mrsaxoman's Forum Picture

Name: Nicholas

I'm not saying the Seahawks would have won, but the officiating was really bad in that game and the ejection on Lane shouldn't have happened. It was a game changing call that could have changed the entire way the game would have gone. I know our offense didn't look great and especially the offensive line but that ejection was the wrong call.
Mrsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #12
teenboyNathan
Great Poster

Name: Nathan

My Bengals fucked up big time. Looks like we're in for a long season

PM me anytime for a chat

16|Straight-Curious|
teenboyNathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #13
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsaxoman View Post
I'm not saying the Seahawks would have won, but the officiating was really bad in that game and the ejection on Lane shouldn't have happened. It was a game changing call that could have changed the entire way the game would have gone. I know our offense didn't look great and especially the offensive line but that ejection was the wrong call.
The ejection shouldn't have happened, but you Seahawks still would have lost. The game may have been closer but Green Bay was playing solid on Defense and Offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenboyNathan View Post
My Bengals fucked up big time. Looks like we're in for a long season
Man, I figured at home where the Bengals sometimes play tough they were going to win, but the Ravens D played crazy good. the Bengals are one of those teams which has a lot of talent but sadly never seems to be able to put anything together.

I know it is not nice to make fun of stuff, but I can't watch the second half of the Broncos and Chargers game, the announcers flat out stink and I don't know where they found that sideline reporter but he doesn't have the slightest clue what is going on. ESPN fired so many people and then this is what they give to the fans to watch

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 12th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #14
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
I know it is not nice to make fun of stuff, but I can't watch the second half of the Broncos and Chargers game, the announcers flat out stink and I don't know where they found that sideline reporter but he doesn't have the slightest clue what is going on. ESPN fired so many people and then this is what they give to the fans to watch
I loved the part where the referee said San Diego instead of Los Angeles.

Straight Canadian boy
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #15
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
I loved the part where the referee said San Diego instead of Los Angeles.
haha you knew it was going to happen. It is going to happen with the Rams. Speaking of the Rams, did you see how Chuck Pagano who faced the Rams last weekend, called them the 49ers? At least the ref knew the Chargers were playing last night, Chuck didn't even know who he was playing. That's bad for a coach and maybe was one of the reasons why they lost haha (I know they prepared for the Rams or tried to anyways, but c'mon man)

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #16
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
haha you knew it was going to happen. It is going to happen with the Rams. Speaking of the Rams, did you see how Chuck Pagano who faced the Rams last weekend, called them the 49ers? At least the ref knew the Chargers were playing last night, Chuck didn't even know who he was playing. That's bad for a coach and maybe was one of the reasons why they lost haha (I know they prepared for the Rams or tried to anyways, but c'mon man)
Like they showed on Sportscentre he's just taking a head start on congratulating teams for beating them

Straight Canadian boy
Old September 14th, 2017, 12:14 AM   #17
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Big news from the CFL, the CFL and CFLPA have announced today that starting now contact practice during the regular season have been eliminated and that starting next year the length of the regular season will be increased from 20 weeks to 21 weeks to give every team a 3rd bye week. League says this will increase safety and will give more rest and recovery time to the players.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...dule-1.4288079

Straight Canadian boy
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:44 PM   #18
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Bengals already cost me. They use to be somewhat hard to beat at home. and then it was against the Texans, which in reality, as bad as both are, it was the toss of a coin. still, unless it is against the Browns, I am going to try not to be picking the Bengals anymore this season. last year we actually had some decent games on Thursday. Last week to kick off was pretty good, but tonight's game sucked and next Thursday is not going to get any better

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old September 15th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #19
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Bengals are the first team to not score a TD in their first two home game of the season since 1939.

Straight Canadian boy
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #20
BlackParadePixie
VT Lover

BlackParadePixie's Forum Picture

Name: Fiona

lol Chargers are terrible still, and have no fan base in L.A. Now even less people will root for them if they keep losing. I hope Spanos chokes on his own tears from all of this humiliation.

18 - f - Wes Anderson fan - proud Italian-American - future UCLA Bruin

BlackParadePixie is offline   Reply With Quote