Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old August 31st, 2017, 07:37 PM   #1
bfldworker

bfldworker's Forum Picture

Name: Jim
Default Unable to regrow armpit hair after chemical burn

I just need to vent. I'm pissed, annoyed and a bit embarrassed.

I have been using Old Spice Classic Deodorant since I was 12, I use it because the smell reminds me of my father and grandfather and I like the scent.

A few weeks ago I got out of the shower got dressed for bed and put on deodorant. About a half hour to hour later I felt a itch and it only got worse. Went to bathroom lifted my arm and looked at my armpit and it was red, almost blood red. I touched it and expected to see blood, but no I felt a burning sensation, got back in the shower and rewashed my pits and the burning went away, but the itching stayed. Took some diphahydramine and the itching stopped. Went to work out and went to bed. Woke up the next morning and the skin in.my armpits was tight, I thought I worked out too much. I get up, go-to the bathroom, look at my bits and they were dark, dark brown. Called my mom at work she suggested hydrocortisone, so I put it on. Well that was a world class fucked mistake. My pits felt like the bowels of hell opened up, I just back in the shower and rewashed my armpits, but it didn't stop, took a towel and rubbed them to get any hydrocortisone out and then lathered them in a whole tube of Neosporin plus pain relief. Sweet, sweet, sweet relief! Call Mom back up and said when she gets home we will go to the hospital. Got to the hospital and by this time lifting my arms hurt my pits so I am walking around like a Marionette going into he hospital hoping no one makes a Pinocchio joke, go into the back, talk to the doctor and after telling him what happened he concluded I had a allergic reaction to Old Spice Deodorant and that it gave me second degree burns and one added bonus it burned off my armpit hair. I asked the doctor how long it would take to grow back. He said he didn't know, but with the extent of damage from the burns I may never grow back. So he prescribed me a tube of Silver Sulfadiazin. And it worked perfectly. So after a week of using that it was healed up but scarred.

So long story short, I have no hair I'm my armpits, the rest of me is hairy as fuck and it looks so weird and awkward.

I feel better now

bfldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Second Chance
Great Poster

Default Re: Unable to regrow armpit hair after chemical burn

You know, I have noticed that I have been having a reaction to Old Spice deodorant, too, kind of what you had described, and I thought it was just me. I had gotten that burning sensation just like you. You might want to e-mail the folks who make Old Spice to see if they have made a change to the formula or if it is being made somewhere different. Especially if you have been using it since you were 12 that is wild how you suddenly had a reaction to Old Spice.

I would not feel badly about not having armpit hair because it is not like that is the first place people are looking. If anything, not having hair down there might cut down on odor especially if you had bushes under your arms.
Second Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 08:48 PM   #3
jack2001

Name: Jack

damn that sucks
jack2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:06 PM   #4
Two.Cool.

Wow. that reallly sucks. So sorry to hear that.
Two.Cool. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 06:30 AM   #5
Vermilion
Awesome Poster

Vermilion's Forum Picture

Name: ....

Sorry to hear you got burnt. And sorry that you may not grow hair again.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:33 AM   #6
mick01
Great Poster

mick01's Forum Picture

Name: Mick

Ya sorry dude. Sounds like a freak accident.
mick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:44 AM   #7
bfldworker

bfldworker's Forum Picture

Name: Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
You know, I have noticed that I have been having a reaction to Old Spice deodorant, too, kind of what you had described, and I thought it was just me. I had gotten that burning sensation just like you. You might want to e-mail the folks who make Old Spice to see if they have made a change to the formula or if it is being made somewhere different. Especially if you have been using it since you were 12 that is wild how you suddenly had a reaction to Old Spice.

I would not feel badly about not having armpit hair because it is not like that is the first place people are looking. If anything, not having hair down there might cut down on odor especially if you had bushes under your arms.

It is more of a self conscious thing more then anything else. I did some checking on this, apparently it is a sensitivity to alcohol that starts it and gets aggravated by being trapped in that area when the arms are down. There was a class action lawsuits against them for this, but a judge kicked it out because apparently it happens regardless of the brand.

If I get the body I want from weightl,anyway I am thinking about trimming my body hair so it won't be a major deal. Anyway at least that is one area that I won't need to trim.

But to be blunt this is pissing me off, that shit hurt like hell, couldn't sleep comfortably, showering was interesting and I am not one to walk around without a shirt on (also has to do with being self conscious), but being any fabric rubbing in my pits hurt. It was a lot of annoying bullshit in a area that isn't thought of much unless it needs cleaning.

Anyways thank you for listening to my ramblings over something that seems trivial.

bfldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 09:59 AM   #8
Living For Love

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago

Puberty For Boys VT General Hospital

Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:25 PM   #9
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

I am so sorry to hear this. Do you think that you should talk to your parents and see if you should file a lawsuit for damages against Old Spice. I would think you could get a chunk of money for pain & suffering and permanent damage to your body. If a lady can get over a million dollars from McDonalds cause she spilled her own coffee on herself then you should be entitled something.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 02:03 PM   #10
Abyssal Echo
Lone Wolf

Abyssal Echo's Forum Picture

I'm sorry to hear that you got severe chemical burns from using Old Spice.... you're not alone I had to stop using Old Spice for similar reasons.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain
Abyssal Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 01:49 AM   #11
Second Chance
Great Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfldworker View Post
It is more of a self conscious thing more then anything else. I did some checking on this, apparently it is a sensitivity to alcohol that starts it and gets aggravated by being trapped in that area when the arms are down. There was a class action lawsuits against them for this, but a judge kicked it out because apparently it happens regardless of the brand.

If I get the body I want from weightl,anyway I am thinking about trimming my body hair so it won't be a major deal. Anyway at least that is one area that I won't need to trim.

But to be blunt this is pissing me off, that shit hurt like hell, couldn't sleep comfortably, showering was interesting and I am not one to walk around without a shirt on (also has to do with being self conscious), but being any fabric rubbing in my pits hurt. It was a lot of annoying bullshit in a area that isn't thought of much unless it needs cleaning.

Anyways thank you for listening to my ramblings over something that seems trivial.
Wow, I did not realize that things with Old Spice was this intense, and I am definitely disposing of my Old Spice spray deodorant and go with a solid one like from Tom's of Maine or something like that. I think brands like Tom's of Maine are natural and do not have the kind of chemicals that cause the issues that Old Spice does.

Yeah, trimming your body hair is the way to go, but honestly, I do not think anyone is going to be paying any attention to your armpits. I think you will be fine if you are bare around your armpits, and not having there is actually less of a hassle.

I hope you're feeling better and that the pain is going down. You might want to stick to tank tops if it hurts when the fabric rubs against your armpits.

I would not worry, and even if your armpit hair does not grow back it is not like it is in a place that most people would notice.
Second Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I get you might find this embarrassing and all. That sucks. Know I'd feel weird if that was me. But I'm also not very hairy on my body either. You are

I'd consider doing some kinda hair removal for the rest of your upper body somit wont draw so much attention. But that's a personal choice.

But I also agree with others. People (if/when your shirtless) most won't be looking at the armpit hair. And if they do they'd probably see the scars. And they'd probably just figure something happened.

People's body's are all different. Next time your in a group of people take a look around. Pick one person who really truly looks weird. There all different, all in different stages of growth, developement, age, looks, physical condition etc etc etc.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but what's done is done. Try and be ok with who you are and your own body.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:50 PM   #13
red04
Member+

That stinks what were you allergic to in it now I might not use it ever

Thanks for all the time on this site even though I am not on as much feel free to send me a PM
red04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #14
bladek9

Name: Ben

So a few questions for you:
1. Was it the gel type of deodorant or the white powdery type? It isn't too uncommon to have a reaction to gel as it's more proactive in stopping odors.
2. Are you sure it was deodorant and not antiperspirant? Antiperspirants are again, more aggressive.

And, future advice in chemical burn treatment. I've worked in plenty of labs, as an intern, as an assistant, even some minor engineering. Whenever anybody gets a bad chem burn, they wash it off immediately like you did which was good. HOWEVER, you never want to dry a chem burn site by rubbing. Especially not with a towel. Dabbing is always the best way to dry any painful sites. This applies to infections, pimples, and about anything else that can happen on the surface of our fragile bodies.
bladek9 is offline   Reply With Quote