Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 16th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #1
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut
Default Is there a way to stop that?

It is not really self harming imo but more of a bad habit.
Whenever I have some minor injuries not even worth putting a bad aid on I scratch and pick at them without even realising.

I had some little scratch on my arm and kinda played with it and now it's some ugly wound. My grandma scolded me whenever she saw me picking at the wound and has made me bandage it up now.

I have some other wound left on my ankle. It was just a small abrasion. But I kept picking at it and now it's rather large and ugly looking with a lil pus oozing out of it now and then. I usually have it scab over a bit and then start picking again.

It is a silly and nasty habit but I like how it hurts just this lil bit when I, like now, lie still and concentrate on it.
Feeling this little spots of pain helps me to calm and feel relaxed.
It gives me a overall good feeling now and then.

Still I know it's sorta unhealthy and that I have to stop it but I don't know uow since I so often don't even realise I do it.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #2
devotionnel

devotionnel's Forum Picture

Name: shay
Default Re: Is there a way to stop that?

Honestly I am a massive culprit of this too, I remember going on holiday and getting a bunch of mosquito bites and they are all scarred and horrible now, I didn't even realise it.

Is it because the wounds can itch? If so you can take anti-histamines or put antihistamine cream on it so it can be as relieving as trying to pick at them and covering them up will help you forget about it.

Obviously by worsening them you're making them more prone to infection and you may end up finding yourself doing it with an open wound and letting all the bacteria from your hands getting into your bloodstream. You probably know what happens next after that.

It helps that your grandma scolds you for it. I was researching operant conditioning yesterday for my psychology work and you can train your behaviours by getting punished for doing things and it makes you less likely to carry out the behaviour again. If it is possible to do this more often it can help you out in the long run. Maybe with bad consequences like losing privileges etc.

i feel your warmth / it feels like home
devotionnel ~ help and advice moderator
PM melast.fmVM me
21.12.16 <3

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
devotionnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 03:26 PM   #3
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie
Default Re: Is there a way to stop that?

I hope that somehow you both can stop doing that to yourselves. You could some day get a bad infection or even get blood poisoning. Please find a way to stop doing this and let your wounds heal.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote