Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What Type of School do you Attend?
Homeschool 5 8.06%
Online School 0 0%
Traditional Private School 8 12.90%
Public School 40 64.52%
Specialty School (A public or private school focused on a specific subject. E.g. magnet schools) 6 9.68%
Other (Please specify) 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 31st, 2017, 09:21 PM   #1
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

Default What Kind of School do you Attend?

School is ever so rapidly encroaching us, so I thought it would be a good time to discuss it. I am curious of the schooling demographic here. Who homeschools? Who attends private school? Who attend public school? What about specialty schools? I am curious. There is a poll above me, but I would also encourage you to post down below.

Also, feel free to discuss why you school as you do.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Re: What Kind of School do you Attend?

I go to a tech school. It's a 4 yeas high school where you also choose a shop. We have about 20 to choose from. I chose carpentry.

There are more like auto tech, auto body, welding, culinary or health op. And many more. They reach us the skills we need to get a job in the chosen field when we graduate

And yes it's also a regular HS diploma. And it's actually very competitive to get in. Most don't get accepted.

And I didn't see a poll
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:35 PM   #3
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
I go to a tech school. It's a 4 yeas high school where you also choose a shop. We have about 20 to choose from. I chose carpentry.

There are more like auto tech, auto body, welding, culinary or health op. And many more. They reach us the skills we need to get a job in the chosen field when we graduate

And yes it's also a regular HS diploma. And it's actually very competitive to get in. Most don't get accepted.
There is one of those nearby. I don't attend, but I know someone that just graduated from it. She graduated with some pretty nice medical skills from it. I think she plans to get a low-level medical job with her training, to raise up some cash to attend college. Tbh, if I wasn't homeschooled, I would be interested in possibly applying for such a school.

Also, you like carpentry? I didn't know that. I like it too, though I've never taken it as a school course.

Quote:
And I didn't see a poll
You posted before I submitted the poll. It should be up now. I imagine you fall under specialty school.
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:47 PM   #4
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

@PlasmaHam. Yeah it's pretty cool. I'd say most jobs you would get are entry level jobs no matter what shop you choose. There's no licensing for trades or anything. Even if you go for electrical or plumbing and stuff. But you'll know a lot more that some other person walking in off the street

Yeah I do like carpentry. It's pretty cool. Each year the carpentry class builds a scale model house complete with electric, running water, stairs, windows doors etc. it's cool. When I mean scale model, I'm talking something you can walk into. Like a house, just smaller.

We have a real restaurant, retail store, and bank on campus to that people can use. You can bring your car to be repaired, get a haircut, grab some lunch while your waiting. Sounds pretty weird I know. But it's all run by the students in their chosen shop. It's pretty wild. Lots of fun.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:00 PM   #5
thomas2003
Junior Member+

i go to a private school but it aint like a posh one....like everyone in my area goes there if ur rich or poor
thomas2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:26 PM   #6
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

I used to be at a private Catholic highschool but switched to the public highschool much closer to my home during my last school year.
It's more compatible with the college courses I take on the side and saves me a lot of time I used to waste travelling through the city.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 11:16 PM   #7
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

I go to a CTE school, which is basically a high school geared to a certain career or trade. Not that I'm interested in the career my school is teaching us for. It's just better funded and has better teachers than a regular public high school, which is why I chose it. (Also, it was unscreened, n that was good cuz I wasn't getting into any good high schools w my grades from middle school)

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoppingTom View Post
so if he pulls these shenanigans again, I'm whipping out the long dick of the law on him

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:10 AM   #8
evansk8

evansk8's Forum Picture

Name: Evan

I've always been in regular public school. Some of my teachers have been really good, others not so good. Theres a lot of kids who don't care too though. I think in private school the attitude of the students can be different. As well as the teachers being better.
evansk8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:46 AM   #9
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

I go to a Catholic state school. My school's speciality is counted as technology but that over here that really doesn't count for much since you can choose loads of courses that aren't technology related anyway.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM[email protected]
Visit: Path to the HorizonAsk Me Anything
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:35 AM   #10
Jericho14
Nice Poster

Jericho14's Forum Picture

Name: Jericho

Public school, But i went to a private school (not posh or very expensive one) back in Philippines

14, Filipino, Straight but curious, Feel free to PM

Last edited by Jericho14; August 1st, 2017 at 03:40 AM.
Jericho14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:41 AM   #11
devotionnel

devotionnel's Forum Picture

Name: shay

I go to a multicultural public school, so basically we have barely any government funding while all the other schools in the area are academies and posh as hell. Hell, I think even some of our computers are from one of the other academies when they scrapped them to get iMacs

I mean, my school is great but we just have no equipment and the tables are like 20+ years old and the science block fully shakes whenever a door is closed... Thank God I'm able to study one of my subjects in one of the academies where I need the equipment xD

i'm unstable, pull me through / call my name, i'm feeling blue
devotionnel ~ help and advice moderator
PM melast.fmVM me

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
devotionnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 04:09 AM   #12
Jinglebottom
Awesome Poster

Jinglebottom's Forum Picture

I go to a private school. It's expensive, yes, but honestly everything is expensive in this country. Anyway, I'm glad there are no religion classes at my school, I feel like most public schools here put too much focus on religion as a subject. I could be wrong, but it's certainly a large minority.
Jinglebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 08:51 AM   #13
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

I go to a private school. Thank goodness for financial aid.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:23 AM   #14
evansk8

evansk8's Forum Picture

Name: Evan

Does anyone know, can you get scholarships or financial aid to pay for private high school? Like the whole amount.
evansk8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:32 AM   #15
devotionnel

devotionnel's Forum Picture

Name: shay

Quote:
Originally Posted by evansk8 View Post
Does anyone know, can you get scholarships or financial aid to pay for private high school? Like the whole amount.
I think you do it just depends on what your situation is financially (maybe) and what the school offers. I know in the UK some private schools offer really high bursaries for people with a low income but high academic performance.

i'm unstable, pull me through / call my name, i'm feeling blue
devotionnel ~ help and advice moderator
PM melast.fmVM me

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
devotionnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:40 AM   #16
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evansk8 View Post
There are various different entities that give scholarships and aid that allows you to go to private school. I am not sure of them, but I know there is both governmental and charital assistance given to people if they can't afford a private school they feel they need.
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:49 AM   #17
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

I went to public schools my whole life, I might be going university next year which I supposeeee is a private school?? I am not too sure about all of that For the amount of money it costs me it should be xD

I don't think many people are home schooled in the UK, but it does happen, I would be very curious to know what kinda education they get because no parent can be proficient in all the subjects needed and how do they go about getting qualifications?

I would have loved to have gone to a private school to experience it and obviously the better education but tbh the thing I love most about public school is the diversity, you get to meet people from all different cultures and backgrounds and I think it is good for a child to experience that diversity, from what I hear about private schools in England, they are lacking that.

I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 12:48 PM   #18
The Byrd
Pepe

I've always gone to a public school. My primary school was a Catholic school but my high school, which I currently attend and will continue to attend for sixth form, is not religious, though I wish it was. The reason I went to this one and not a Catholic one is because it is closer to where I live, which makes it very convenient. The fact that it is public doesn't bother me at all. I don't feel like my quality of education has suffered because of it. I've mostly had good teachers, and regardless I don't solely rely on teachers for education so I do not think that a private school would have made me very much better off.

The Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:06 PM   #19
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post

I don't think many people are home schooled in the UK, but it does happen, I would be very curious to know what kinda education they get because no parent can be proficient in all the subjects needed and how do they go about getting qualifications?
Well it's a rather small percentage in the US, too. It is by far not that common as people outside the US think.

There are certain regulations for it varying get from state to state to give the homeschooled some compareable qualifications.

I personally find it rather weird and would have never wanted it. I just know own one person being homeschooled some cousin of a friend but he is disabled and a school where they could cater for his special needs is to far away.

So the mom took up homeschooling. But since she was a teacher before she had her kids I guess she has at least the right skills to do it.

Otherwise as I said, strange, since school is so much more than just learning stuff according to a curriculum.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:44 PM   #20
Bull
Awesome Poster

Bull's Forum Picture

Name: Bill also known as Will

From start to university it has always been public schools.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote