Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 27th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #1
Freckles

Freckles's Forum Picture

Name: Nathan
Default Are The Puberty Forums Inviting Preditors?

In the two years I've been a member here I have been appauled at some of the content on the puberty forums. So many of the surveys to me are clearly asking preditory questions and asking for details that go beyond the curiousity of most teens. The responses seem to be very questionable too as if they're answered by other preditors to satisfy their fetishes. I know that puberty is a very valid part of growing up and teens need a place to ask questions but I believe that the forums have more adult preditors than true teens asking questions. I've also noticed that the puberty forums have as many as 10 times more viewers than the other forums. I'm just not sure that allowing them is worth the risk to our safety. I reported a guy that had been banned before and rejoined with a similar user name and was posting in all the discipline forums about his spankings and he had PMed me before asking me personal questions. He also was known for asking kids to chat with him on Yahoo. He was banned. Also almost all the PMs I get are from boys who only comment in the puberty or sexual related posts. This does raise red flags for me about my safety here. Yes I know the posts that if I can't handle it I shouldn't be here. But I'm looking out for other kids' safety too. This is all just my opinion but I feel we'd all be safer if the puberty forums were gone or better moderated. OK my rant is over lol.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #2
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Default Re: Are The Puberty Forums Inviting Preditors?

I totally agree. The Puberty 101 section magically attracts people with way often too special sexual preferences. Preferences a average teen hardly ever shares.

btw: but I'm confused. I know my English isn't the best, but I learned, that preditor is a portmanteau word which means the combination of producer+editor.

Do you mean "predator" in context of perverse or pedophile folks by chance?

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #3
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

The puberty forums do tend to get a lot more viewers, in particular the Archives, since a lot of old posts come up in Google searches when they type their questions into the net - that's even how I found the site in the first place.

If you do receive PMs like that, please report it. The admins only go through them if we believe that there's been something going on and so your reporting really does help with that. The same goes for the puberty threads as well, most times we can't catch every single on so reporting really does help us to catch these kinds of things.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM [email protected]
Visit: Path to the Horizon Ask Me Anything
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:00 AM   #4
WhoWhatWhen

WhoWhatWhen's Forum Picture

I've been noticing that too. I've also been noticing that there's a lot of very similar threads in a short time. I don't necessarily think they should shut it but they just need more moderation. Maybe make a necessary to have like 20ish posts before you can post there so people can't just go straight to spamming the thread with the creepy shit. idk

Be young. Be dope. Be proud.
WhoWhatWhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #5
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

I think puberty is a very stressful time for teens and tbh I wish I had found this site when I was going through all that so I could ask personal questions that was worrying me. Unfortunately the internet is filled with creeps buddy and the mods are really trying their best to keep the site safe, I think the problem is them rejoining because you see the same creepy fetish threads made by different accounts, all with few posts however I am not sure how they could counter that tbh as I think they already ip ban.

I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:59 AM   #6
azurzg
Member+

azurzg's Forum Picture

Name: Azur

I simply stay away from weird surveys and try to talk to people who seem genuine.
azurzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #7
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

I would say a simple solution is to prohibit the "creepy" surveys the pedophiles use to sniff-out prey. Tbh, very few of the P101 surveys have any educational or informative value, most are just vulgar gentitalia/sex threads. Getting rid of those regardless of poster would both eliminate a tool of pedophiles, and also adds some legitimacy to the laughing-stock that is P101.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #8
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
I would say a simple solution is to prohibit the "creepy" surveys the pedophiles use to sniff-out prey. Tbh, very few of the P101 surveys have any educational or informative value, most are just vulgar gentitalia/sex threads. Getting rid of those regardless of poster would both eliminate a tool of pedophiles, and also adds some legitimacy to the laughing-stock that is P101.
I think the problem is that it is very hard to distinguish between a genuine worried teen worried about penis size for example and a creeper trying to talk to young boys about their penises ya know??

Maybe surveys in general there should be banned??

I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #9
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWhatWhen View Post
I've been noticing that too. I've also been noticing that there's a lot of very similar threads in a short time. I don't necessarily think they should shut it but they just need more moderation. Maybe make a necessary to have like 20ish posts before you can post there so people can't just go straight to spamming the thread with the creepy shit. idk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
I think the problem is that it is very hard to distinguish between a genuine worried teen worried about penis size for example and a creeper trying to talk to young boys about their penises ya know??

Maybe surveys in general there should be banned??
Whether we like it or not, the puberty sections are what brings most of the traffic to the site. By prohibiting surveys, or by making people have a certain post count before posting will deter the genuine people who want to come here and ask questions. We do try to keep a look out for "creepers" by checking their ages, their activity and so on but there is a certain responsibility of all the users of the site to report things if they think something is inappropriate. There's way more users than mods and that means we're not able to catch everything.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM [email protected]
Visit: Path to the Horizon Ask Me Anything
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #10
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
Whether we like it or not, the puberty sections are what brings most of the traffic to the site. By prohibiting surveys, or by making people have a certain post count before posting will deter the genuine people who want to come here and ask questions.
The people that come here to ask questions about cumshots, penis length, and the best ways to masturbate aren't exactly the best crowd to be attracting, regardless of their age. The real "genuine" people, don't come here asking questions about these and other vulgar topics.

I wasn't talking about prohibiting surveys in general, I was talking about prohibiting surveys that have very little informative value to them. For example, how exactly is cumshot distance a legitimate puberty question? How does asking people how many times they masturbate and/or their masturbation techniques contribute to puberty knowledge? To me, and many more users here, these seem like nothing more than creeps fascinated with minors' sex habits getting their wank material.

Last edited by PlasmaHam; July 27th, 2017 at 10:59 AM.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #11
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie

The puberty thread has a lot of educational value. I was a kid who was sheltered from learning about puberty because "I wasn't ready" so I relied on the internet to give me information.

VT Staff is excellent on making sure we're all safe on all threads but I personally feel it's best to use your own judgement when talking to a member privately or responding to a thread.

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Dmaxd123
Member+

i think the moderators do a pretty good job jumping ontop of the topics that go into the gray areas of this site.

as far as people saying things that a "normal" teen wouldn't, I think part of why I like the internet is the anonymity I can say/ask things without the whole town/county judging me

if it's a thread that just looks sketchy I pretty much avoid it not that hard to do
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #13
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

It's a difficult situation with Puberty 101 because the site drives so much traffic from it. I remember a few years ago it was suggested that those forums be hidden to guests so that it might discourage people who are either looking to cam or predators looking to take advantage of teens.

Personally I think there should be more of a crackdown on the gray areas. I see a lot of content that I probably wouldn't have allowed to be there back when I was a moderator for the help and advice section.

As always if you ever do come across anything sketchy, report it. You can report PMs through the report system and you can also PM any of the site staff. Don't ever think you're wasting their time. They'd rather you report things and they'll check them out and see if they're a cause for concern or not than things go unnoticed.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #14
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I think the reality is that there are truths being said by everyone here. I've read and posted in the puberty sections. Some I'm probably not to proud of now. Life is what it is.

Report people you suspect, it work

You can also block any forum you don't want to see. I've blocked the puberty section, cause it just is to much.

By blocking those sections, you get more
Of the posts you wana read about
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #15
Freckles

Freckles's Forum Picture

The purpose of me posting this topic isn't only because of the things posted that to me are preditor/fetish questions and polls but that most of the PMs I get are from people who only participate in these polls and sexually explicit posts. The PMs themselves are harmless but they're not all looking to make a new friend. They're looking for vulnerable kids to prey on. That's why I feel these forums are a threat to the real teens here. Some aren't savvy enough to be suspicious and that's what they want. The forum says they want to keep us safe but allow things that are inviting the preditors they want to protect us from. There are kids here who'll agree to meet these people outside of the forum thinking they're kids their age and be hurt. I hope it hasn't happened but it is a possibility and maybe a liability to the forum.

Last edited by Freckles; July 28th, 2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old July 28th, 2017, 10:53 PM   #16
CrypticBread2

Unfortunately I don't think anything is going to get rid of the possible pedophilia that could happen. If you delete the puberty, they're going to prey on something else. It's really unfortunate that this happens, but I don't think there is going to be any way to get rid of it.

~ 17 ~ Gay, but not really effeminate ~ Hit me up if you want to chat ~ @ me if you want expect me to reply, cause I'll forget ~
CrypticBread2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #17
Freckles

Freckles's Forum Picture

No, but you don't have to invite it.
Old July 28th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #18
CrypticBread2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
No, but you don't have to invite it.
I don't think anyone is openly inviting pedophilia.

~ 17 ~ Gay, but not really effeminate ~ Hit me up if you want to chat ~ @ me if you want expect me to reply, cause I'll forget ~
CrypticBread2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #19
DriveAlive
Great Poster

DriveAlive's Forum Picture

I like the puberty section as it is always valuable to have a resource for these type of issues, but at the same time I am truly bothered by the amount of penis length and masturbation threads and similar types of conversations that appear every single day. Seriously it is ridiculous.

19 | Vegan | Bisexual | Republican

Here is my AMA thread, please ask me anything!
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh....php?t=2030289
DriveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 12:03 AM   #20
Freckles

Freckles's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 View Post
i think the moderators do a pretty good job jumping ontop of the topics that go into the gray areas of this site.

as far as people saying things that a "normal" teen wouldn't, I think part of why I like the internet is the anonymity I can say/ask things without the whole town/county judging me

if it's a thread that just looks sketchy I pretty much avoid it not that hard to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticBread2 View Post
I don't think anyone is openly inviting pedophilia.
I didn't say openly and you've been here less than a week. I also checked your posts and most of them are also in that section other than the ones to gain post numbers.