Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #1
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster
 
Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: Irrationality
Gender: Male
Default Questions to the Senior Staff

I am moving the discussion regarding the Senior Staff to this thread. I feel it was getting to distracting from the OP's original concern, and the the original purpose of the thread. This is a topic worthy of its own thread, so let it have its own thread.
@ImCoolBeans, @xXl0sth0peXx, @City Kid, @Endeavour, @Living For Love, @Mars.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Continued from pedophile thread)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Editing to address @PlasmaHam -
I am not capable of promoting or hiring anyone to senior staff to help me. It isn't primarily my job to be handling basic moderation - that's what our greenies are for - but if you think not enough is being done, I can try to step in and help out more in that regard too.
I am not asking you personal to hire new people, the admin should be active enough to do atleast that. However, I do suggest that you pressure the admins (or atleast the single semi-active one) to hire someone to help you.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but if you or any of the other staff feel that their personal responsibilities prevent them from accomplishing their VT duties to a satisfactory degree, and that they feel others could accomplish their VT duties more effectively, then they should be the right thing and resign. I'm not saying you should immediately resign, but I just ask you and all the staff to evaluate their performance, and ask themselves if they are the best people to staff VT. If you feel you are lacking, but there isn't anyone you find personally suitable to take your place, then your priority is to train users to succeed you.

Last edited by Voice_Of_Unreason; June 10th, 2017 at 12:47 PM.
Likes: (1)
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #2
Elysium
Global Moderator
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Got it. Will repost my response then -

(You don't sound harsh, don't worry. I'm open to constructive criticism.)

Val and I are still discussing the recent mod apps. It hasn't been forgotten, it's just... slow.

Like I said, I've been keeping things running - I haven't let my personal life get in the way of that - although I suppose my motivation has to some extent taken a hit due to personal circumstances. Even if I was performing my job poorly and/or no longer wanting to do it though, we're not currently in a position where I'm capable of stepping down. There's too few people; my stepping down would be doing the current staff and the site a disservice more than a favor. In my opinion, anyway. Maybe in the future, when we have more staff and promote better global mods, but for the moment it is what it is. At any rate, I can't speak for others. I'm quite possibly not the best person for this job, but I'm here and willing to do it and trying my best and I think that suffices for now. It's something, right? I've been doing it for a few years now, anyway.

Supervision is my primary duty, yes. "Behind the scenes" I provide feedback and guidance when/where I can, but you're not off-target; I pretty much only step in when things come up. Perhaps I've left too much of the work to our greenies. I got in the habit of encouraging them to work things out themselves and learn on their own, but perhaps I've taken it too far.

I don't think it's a matter of how qualified or capable our current mods are, from what I can tell. They're wonderful, dedicated, and excited to be doing what they're doing. I think it's a matter of resources, my own morale, and to a much smaller, minor extent, personal opinion.

It's also been suggested to me that I be a little more public - it's been a while since I've contributed to the forums in a non-staff manner. I'm happy to try to integrate myself into the community again, as much as I'm capable of doing so, and doing some more of the basic mod work myself.

If you have something specific in mind (certain users, posts, threads, topics) that you think aren't being addressed, please take it up with me via PM. I'm open to criticism and I want to make constructive change as much as I'm able.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #3
Leprous
Professional Spivak
 
Leprous's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 9, 2014
Gender: Male
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

@Elysium You've said that when you report someone you need proof right? Is the exact same behavior, exact same location and even the exact same signature not a bit suspicious to the staff? Especially when they are matched with a banned account. Is it just me being overly concerned because this same account was seen on another forum behaving like a 50 year old guy hunting for nudes from underage girls, or is it also concerning to you, knowing P101 is full of fake accounts not being dealt with?

I would like to also personally ask something to the current mods in the mother nature forum since the account I report usually posts there.

@Mars @Amethyst Rose

When I report this account, do you look into it or just think "oh god this guy again" and ignore it? Even if you in any way hold a grudge against me, that shouldn't stop you from doing your job and atleast looking at it. I may be completely wrong here, and this is not meant as an attack towards the two of you. I am just wondering really what happens to the report, if anything happens. I would love to hear your opinions on this.

@Elysium I'm glad you are listening to what I'm saying, as one of 2 staff members that have replied to me so far (I expected more at first but still, thank you for taking the time to reply and not shit on me). As far as I know, for the average VT member it seems like a person who is invisible has been active since their last post, we have no real way of knowing wether or not this is true. You say it's not about how dedicated the staff is, but in some extent it is, atleast to me. There are still staff members who don't moderate a lot (or at all), which is something I don't think should be happening without atleast making it clear to that person. It may happen in certain cases, I don't know what goes on between the staff. I feel like there is a dedication problem for the staff, I'm not meaning that towards anyone speicific, but in general. When we report someone, and it's being ignored, it makes us feel like our reports don't matter. A simple PM explaining why it hasn't/won't be dealt with is really all it takes to atleast take the feeling of being ignored away.

Over the last few months there has been a decline in both active members and staff. The first one being a result of both age and life, but also the decline in staff. Some people will get the impression VT can't be run anymore by the staff and will call it quits before it turns into govteen. I have thought about leaving for this reason too, multiple times. There is an application open now, but I feel like it came too late.


In all of us lie secrets
hidden inside hollow hearts,
Heaven was built by heathens
there is no place for us
never was
Leprous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Phosphene
Word Shaker
 
Phosphene's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 27, 2016
Location: The Crystal Kaleidoscope
Age: 17
Gender: Cisgender Female
Blog Entries: 22
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

@The Special One I know which account you're referring to, and I have looked into possible duplicates of said member in the past. Yes there are similarities, but as a sectional moderator I don't have access to all the information that should be taken into account - or the ability - to actually ban them, whether I want to or not. I'm not saying that dupes can't be identified through what you've said above, because they can and have been. I support your claim but feel it is impulsive for me to freeze without knowing all the information that I can't see when the posts aren't doing any harm. I'd be happy to look into it again and see what becomes of it, though. Also, until this is figured out, the posts in Mother Nature themselves have no content that implies seeking inappropriate activity, so nothing can be done about those.

Regarding the staff's current state: I honestly think we are understaffed. If interest and potential are exhibited I fully support hiring more moderators. I say interest and potential because not all who are interested are qualified to be on staff, and not all who have the potential want to apply.

The inactivity of some staff members ties into the point about potential; I know that everyone here is capable of doing their job well. Does that mean we all do it to the best of our ability 100% of the time? I can't speak for everyone else, but my answer is yes. I know we all have lives of our own, but if we're in these positions, VT should definitely be a priority, not something that gets pushed to the back burner. It's understandable to go through short stints of inactivity sometimes - I'm about to be gone myself. But I know that our presence here (and lack of it) has an effect on the members, both performing our duties as staff and just participating in discussions in the community. I don't want people to have an "us and them" mentality; we all make this site possible. VT wouldn't exist if it weren't for the mutualism between staff and non-staff - staff needs members to have a site, and members need staff to keep it running and civil.

I actually really appreciate threads like these. Receiving criticism and taking it to heart helps you grow, and there's always room for growth. Sometimes it's hard to stomach criticism because it's not what we want to hear... but the reality is, we need it. It's a good thing. So thank you to everyone who has given your honest opinions of us.

"The question is, what color will everything be at that moment when I come for you? What will the sky be saying?" ~Death, from The Book Thief
The Treasure Trove 🦄 Probe My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by an anonymous, totally Satanist and Socialist ginger
Satan was kicked out for being different
God must be a republican
Phosphene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Elysium
Global Moderator
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
@Elysium You've said that when you report someone you need proof right? Is the exact same behavior, exact same location and even the exact same signature not a bit suspicious to the staff? Especially when they are matched with a banned account. Is it just me being overly concerned because this same account was seen on another forum behaving like a 50 year old guy hunting for nudes from underage girls, or is it also concerning to you, knowing P101 is full of fake accounts not being dealt with?

I would like to also personally ask something to the current mods in the mother nature forum since the account I report usually posts there.
For same behavior - if you could link me to specific posts, that'd be great. I usually skim latest posts due to time constraints, but that's not always indicative of much. Location is generally treated as circumstantial (there are exceptions of course), and the same signature... I recall them not being the same, or having seen something to the contrary, but I really don't remember. If you'd like to PM me with the information again I'll take another look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
@Elysium I'm glad you are listening to what I'm saying, as one of 2 staff members that have replied to me so far (I expected more at first but still, thank you for taking the time to reply and not shit on me). As far as I know, for the average VT member it seems like a person who is invisible has been active since their last post, we have no real way of knowing wether or not this is true. You say it's not about how dedicated the staff is, but in some extent it is, atleast to me. There are still staff members who don't moderate a lot (or at all), which is something I don't think should be happening without atleast making it clear to that person. It may happen in certain cases, I don't know what goes on between the staff. I feel like there is a dedication problem for the staff, I'm not meaning that towards anyone speicific, but in general. When we report someone, and it's being ignored, it makes us feel like our reports don't matter. A simple PM explaining why it hasn't/won't be dealt with is really all it takes to atleast take the feeling of being ignored away.

Over the last few months there has been a decline in both active members and staff. The first one being a result of both age and life, but also the decline in staff. Some people will get the impression VT can't be run anymore by the staff and will call it quits before it turns into govteen. I have thought about leaving for this reason too, multiple times. There is an application open now, but I feel like it came too late.
I think I'm just beating other people to responding But yeah, of course. This is my job and I want to improve.

To be fair, a lot of basic moderation isn't obvious - a large part of our jobs involves moderating profiles, after all. We, the senior staff, are aware of inactivity if/when it happens and we address it and try to work with people. We don't just leave it there indefinitely, but we don't like having to let anyone go because of it.

If someone keeps reporting the same thing because they're not seeing any resolution to it but we have a reason for not taking action, we'll usually ultimately PM them and explain. If that didn't happen in your case, I'm sorry, and we can make it a clearer part of our protocol. We get a lot of reports though, I'm not sure how easy it would be to respond to everything that doesn't get handled.

As for new staff apps - well, better late then never, right?

With regards to activity - I know I keep myself invisible for my own comfort, but as I mentioned (possibly in the last thread or my last reply here? I lost track), it's been suggested to me that I participate more as just another user and not in my capacity as a staff member. Would that help?

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #6
Emerald Dream
Forever Green
 
Emerald Dream's Forum Picture
 
Name: Allison
Join Date: November 8, 2012
Location: The Crystal Castle
Gender: Cisgender Female
Blog Entries: 21
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

As a former staff member (and senior staff member) I can see both sides of this. I really know how hard it is to balance life offline and responsibility as a moderator here. This sometimes can feel like a full-time job in itself...if you're actually taking the time to do it.

The perception, however, is that some aren't taking the time to do it. I understand that everyone has classes, jobs, social life, etc....but it's hard to know when staff members are there even when are actually there. Everyone has a right to privacy, and I respect that - but I think an important point has been made by a few people now (and even staff members themselves). I've had conversations with people who are on staff and who are not on staff here and they all say the same thing.

The senior staff has made themselves completely inaccessible. I know that global moderators and administrators do a lot of work behind the scenes. There's a lot of work to making decisions and adding features to the forum. To the general public, you're not there. No one knows you have done anything since your last public post (regardless of what you do in any private forums here). As far as most people know, there are three senior staff members and none of them are ever visible. Who knows to send a PM with a concern if you're never there? Someone once asked me while I was a green moderator (GD mod) why I was invisible, and even voiced concerns about my accessibility. It concerned me so much that the rest of my time on VT staff I stayed visible. I wanted to be someone that people could ask questions or voice their concerns to. I'm struggling to find the justification for staying invisible 24/7, to be honest.

What also concerns me about what's being said is the idea of staff members (and that includes all staff members) being reactive versus being proactive. I've gotten the impression that most (not all) want to just wait around and handle reports as they come up. Hardly anyone scans their sections on a regular basis. Let's get real here for a few minutes....most of p101 is a bunch of bullshit pervert threads that aren't technically about puberty. Also, it seems that no one is actively checking accounts on a regular basis. That's a huge safety concern on a teen forum like VT. Most people are in agreement here that many overage, fake, and duplicate accounts exist. People make accounts to be absolute perverts here on VT.

I agree with @Amethyst Rose about being understaffed. Hell, if I would have known that moderators would have quit after I retired...I never would have retired. As far as I knew (and it had been discussed) we had plenty of moderators that seemed enthusiastic and plans to promote someone in the very near future. Almost a year later, that person has not been promoted and multiple moderators have left. And full disclosure for everyone here, I did offer to come back to the staff to help with the GMod duties and help train and promote moderators...but was refused. I honestly want what's best for VT, and I'm not surprised that has finally caught up to where we are right now.
Emerald Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster
 
Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: Irrationality
Gender: Male
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

One thing I saw in a prior forum, is that when you reported something, the staff would send you a message concerning it. If the staff dealt with the reported problem, they would send a small message to the reporter saying the problem has been dealt with. If the mod finds the report lacking, then they may PM the reporter, telling them why the they didn't carry out the report, and possibly ask for more evidence. You might want to look into having this as standard modding procedure. It only takes a minute to do, and it goes to show the regular folks that their reports actually matter.

My suggestion also is to have more regular staff replacements. We've needed new mods for months now, yet nothing has been done. Perhaps VT should have tri-yearly mod applications. instead of frantically searching for new mods after the old ones start leaving, you can just pick the best guy from the last application. Would make mod transitions easier and faster, preventing situations like this from happening.

Last edited by Voice_Of_Unreason; June 10th, 2017 at 09:52 AM.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #8
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod
 
DerBear's Forum Picture
 
Name: Derri
Join Date: April 2, 2011
Location: Scotland
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 7
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Being someone who tends to not post much these days and comes to lurk and see how things are going. I must admit I've seen over the last year a massive hit in staff retention. Not hiring as I've seen several staff hired but in terms of them actually sticking around for very long....it seems like very few have.

For those who don't know I was a H&A mod for about 18-20 months or so. My advice to current H&A mods is that you need to be accessible and pro active when dealing with your section. For example P101 is messy by nature and there is a lot of gray area when it comes to moderating that section but what you need to ensure is that you moderate consistently and you scan your areas to be on top of things. A good mod doesn't wait for reports, they pro actively engage their sections.

Now to members who think that some mods might not be that active, a lot does go on behind the scenes by both senior and green level staff. For example visitor and post moderation, infractions and also handling private reports as well as staff discussion.

For staff being shown as offline - its a difficult one because if you're taking a step back from VT because you're on holiday, busy with exams or personal problems then its a good idea to be invisible for that time because members notice that person is offline and they won't contact them as much. The problem is if everyone is offline then members don't know who to contact and it puts the mods who are online and shown to be active in the who's online section under pressure as they're likely to get contacted more.

Some have highlighted the lack of active senior staff. A potential issue with the administration is that they're older now, in the later years of further education/full time working and that means they've got less time for VT but there isn't anything more they can do, that's why the staff have to work together as a team.

Recently mod applications have went out and will still be under review. I hope that they have some promising candidates but as the site has seen an activity drop, that does also lead to less potential candidates who fit the bill.

I hope this bump is the road can be passed and that VT has a bright future.


Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
Likes: (1)
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Elysium
Global Moderator
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Dream View Post
As a former staff member (and senior staff member) I can see both sides of this. I really know how hard it is to balance life offline and responsibility as a moderator here. This sometimes can feel like a full-time job in itself...if you're actually taking the time to do it.

The perception, however, is that some aren't taking the time to do it. I understand that everyone has classes, jobs, social life, etc....but it's hard to know when staff members are there even when are actually there. Everyone has a right to privacy, and I respect that - but I think an important point has been made by a few people now (and even staff members themselves). I've had conversations with people who are on staff and who are not on staff here and they all say the same thing.

The senior staff has made themselves completely inaccessible. I know that global moderators and administrators do a lot of work behind the scenes. There's a lot of work to making decisions and adding features to the forum. To the general public, you're not there. No one knows you have done anything since your last public post (regardless of what you do in any private forums here). As far as most people know, there are three senior staff members and none of them are ever visible. Who knows to send a PM with a concern if you're never there? Someone once asked me while I was a green moderator (GD mod) why I was invisible, and even voiced concerns about my accessibility. It concerned me so much that the rest of my time on VT staff I stayed visible. I wanted to be someone that people could ask questions or voice their concerns to. I'm struggling to find the justification for staying invisible 24/7, to be honest.

What also concerns me about what's being said is the idea of staff members (and that includes all staff members) being reactive versus being proactive. I've gotten the impression that most (not all) want to just wait around and handle reports as they come up. Hardly anyone scans their sections on a regular basis. Let's get real here for a few minutes....most of p101 is a bunch of bullshit pervert threads that aren't technically about puberty. Also, it seems that no one is actively checking accounts on a regular basis. That's a huge safety concern on a teen forum like VT. Most people are in agreement here that many overage, fake, and duplicate accounts exist. People make accounts to be absolute perverts here on VT.

I agree with @Amethyst Rose about being understaffed. Hell, if I would have known that moderators would have quit after I retired...I never would have retired. As far as I knew (and it had been discussed) we had plenty of moderators that seemed enthusiastic and plans to promote someone in the very near future. Almost a year later, that person has not been promoted and multiple moderators have left. And full disclosure for everyone here, I did offer to come back to the staff to help with the GMod duties and help train and promote moderators...but was refused. I honestly want what's best for VT, and I'm not surprised that has finally caught up to where we are right now.
For my own comfort and ease of access, invisibility is the best thing for me. I am happy to compromise in other ways, but I wouldn't be able to do my job effectively if I weren't invisible - anxiety would prevent me from doing as much as I'm doing now. This is my own issue to work on and I'm doing so on my own time in my own private life, but ultimately I need to prioritize myself before VT. This is one concession I will not make at this time. This goes to @DerBear too.

From your post and others, I'm willing to step in and help more with basic moderation and involve myself in the community again. The latter is hard for me, but I think it'd be a good first step - for me, anyway - towards better accessibility and visibility, especially since not being invisible is not an option for me right now.

I know I'm not as good at this job as you were, but I am checking accounts. Maybe not as actively as you were; I've had lower than usual morale the past couple of months - life's been hard. You're right though, I should really renew my efforts again. I can't speak to moderators actively checking their sections. I'm confident that they're doing their job, but when I don't have the time to actively check sections too (which, yes, I'll commit myself to improving), it's hard to tell sometimes.

I thought promotion would happen sooner, too... I don't think anybody anticipated us being in the situation we're in now. I didn't know you offered to return to staff, though. I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
One thing I saw in a prior forum, is that when you reported something, the staff would send you a message concerning it. If the staff dealt with the reported problem, they would send a small message to the reporter saying the problem has been dealt with. If the mod finds the report lacking, then they may PM the reporter, telling them why the they didn't carry out the report, and possibly ask for more evidence. You might want to look into having this as standard modding procedure. It only takes a minute to do, and it goes to show the regular folks that their reports actually matter.
It's worth discussing. I worry that it might be a little excessive, but we'll see what the staff thinks. It'd certainly be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
My suggestion also is to have more regular staff replacements. We've needed new mods for months now, yet nothing has been done. Perhaps VT should have tri-yearly mod applications. instead of frantically searching for new mods after the old ones start leaving, you can just pick the best guy from the last application. Would make mod transitions easier and faster, preventing situations like this from happening.
Having regular mod applications is an idea too. But you're right (and I think she'd be okay with me saying this), Val and I waited too long and we're sorry. That was our mistake.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #10
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod
 
DerBear's Forum Picture
 
Name: Derri
Join Date: April 2, 2011
Location: Scotland
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 7
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
For my own comfort and ease of access, invisibility is the best thing for me. I am happy to compromise in other ways, but I wouldn't be able to do my job effectively if I weren't invisible - anxiety would prevent me from doing as much as I'm doing now. This is my own issue to work on and I'm doing so on my own time in my own private life, but ultimately I need to prioritize myself before VT. This is one concession I will not make at this time. This goes to @DerBear too..
I understand that I hope I didn't sound disrespectful when I made the comment about being invisible it wasn't directed to anyone in particular. It was just an observation from my own experience on staff and what I've witnessed. Of course everyone is entitled to feel comfortable on this site and everyone should take whatever steps they need to in order to feel comfortable on here.


Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #11
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster
 
Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: Irrationality
Gender: Male
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

@Elysium, thank you for answering my questions. I feel like I have gained a greater understanding and grasp of the situation here due to your testimony. I hope you can work with the the rest of the staff to better solve these problems effectively. If you require any assistance to help VT, I would be glad to lend my hand, even in a non-staff manner.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #12
Endeavour
Global Moderator
 
Endeavour's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 27, 2015
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

I've already responded in the other thread here.

I know I'm invisible and I know I don't post that much outside from moderating, but all the staff do take reports seriously. I've looked through this thread and there are some good ideas and things I certainly agree with. I particularly like the idea about PMing people when we need more information, we have done this in the past but I agree that this needs to be more of a regular thing.

We have lost five staff members (if my memory serves me correctly) since I joined staff in October and that, to an extent, means more of our time has to be dedicated to the "behind the scenes" stuff rather than actually being out there and posting in the forums.




Global Moderator

[email protected]PM
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #13
Leprous
Professional Spivak
 
Leprous's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 9, 2014
Gender: Male
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
For same behavior - if you could link me to specific posts, that'd be great. I usually skim latest posts due to time constraints, but that's not always indicative of much. Location is generally treated as circumstantial (there are exceptions of course), and the same signature... I recall them not being the same, or having seen something to the contrary, but I really don't remember. If you'd like to PM me with the information again I'll take another look into it.


I think I'm just beating other people to responding But yeah, of course. This is my job and I want to improve.

To be fair, a lot of basic moderation isn't obvious - a large part of our jobs involves moderating profiles, after all. We, the senior staff, are aware of inactivity if/when it happens and we address it and try to work with people. We don't just leave it there indefinitely, but we don't like having to let anyone go because of it.

If someone keeps reporting the same thing because they're not seeing any resolution to it but we have a reason for not taking action, we'll usually ultimately PM them and explain. If that didn't happen in your case, I'm sorry, and we can make it a clearer part of our protocol. We get a lot of reports though, I'm not sure how easy it would be to respond to everything that doesn't get handled.

As for new staff apps - well, better late then never, right?

With regards to activity - I know I keep myself invisible for my own comfort, but as I mentioned (possibly in the last thread or my last reply here? I lost track), it's been suggested to me that I participate more as just another user and not in my capacity as a staff member. Would that help?
I sent about 10 reports for that account now and still no PM, I think you may understand why I feel like I'm being completely ignored here. As @Emerald Dream said, I too feel like the staff just wait for reports and then deal with them, rather than trying to avoid the reports from happening. It's a bit sad that the staff seem to rely on normal members to find fake accounts, while I would think the staff have the most experience with these accounts and should be able to find them more easily than us.

What @PlasmaHam said is a good idea, make people aware of the fact their reports are being dealt with. It's important. If we have no proof of us getting helped, we will easily assume we are being ignored. Feeling like the staff, who we should look up to just ignore us makes people lose the respect for the staff.

I would still like to see what the other staff members have to say on this issue. They are involved too. All of the staff is really. There is a large difference in activity between staff members. Yes I get that some mods are able to come on more than others, but when 1 person does the work of 3 people, something is wrong. Staff members can't mod on a daily basis, I get that. If you're unable to I completely understand that. You are all people with lives too. Where the problem lies though is if you are able to post quite often, but somehow unable to moderate. I just feel like there is a problem with motivation here. I may be wrong on that, but that's the impression I get.

@Endeavour What I feel like is when a few staff members left, new ones should have been recruited, or atleast there should've been applications. I get that you can't just open applications all the time but the current situation could've been avoided.


In all of us lie secrets
hidden inside hollow hearts,
Heaven was built by heathens
there is no place for us
never was

Last edited by Leprous; June 10th, 2017 at 01:29 PM.
Leprous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #14
Elysium
Global Moderator
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
@Elysium, thank you for answering my questions. I feel like I have gained a greater understanding and grasp of the situation here due to your testimony. I hope you can work with the the rest of the staff to better solve these problems effectively. If you require any assistance to help VT, I would be glad to lend my hand, even in a non-staff manner.
Of course, and I hope so too. Thank you for your dedication and concern; it really does help. Sometimes a little push can be all you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I sent about 10 reports for that account now and still no PM, I think you may understand why I feel like I'm being completely ignored here. As @Emerald Dream said, I too feel like the staff just wait for reports and then deal with them, rather than trying to avoid the reports from happening. It's a bit sad that the staff seem to rely on normal members to find fake accounts, while I would think the staff have the most experience with these accounts and should be able to find them more easily than us.
I asked about it; you were PMed, though not by me. At any rate, I've made it a point to look into the matter again and I'm starting to feel like this is going in circles. This discussion about how well or poorly I'm doing my job has ceased to be constructive. Criticize me all you want, but I think I've said my piece and more or less owned up to my shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
What @PlasmaHam said is a good idea, make people aware of the fact their reports are being dealt with. It's important. If we have no proof of us getting helped, we will easily assume we are being ignored. Feeling like the staff, who we should look up to just ignore us makes people lose the respect for the staff.
Noted, and under discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I would still like to see what the other staff members have to say on this issue. They are involved too. All of the staff is really. There is a large difference in activity between staff members. Yes I get that some mods are able to come on more than others, but when 1 person does the work of 3 people, something is wrong. Staff members can't mod on a daily basis, I get that. If you're unable to I completely understand that. You are all people with lives too. Where the problem lies though is if you are able to post quite often, but somehow unable to moderate. I just feel like there is a problem with motivation here. I may be wrong on that, but that's the impression I get.
@Endeavour What I feel like is when a few staff members left, new ones should have been recruited, or atleast there should've been applications. I get that you can't just open applications all the time but the current situation could've been avoided.
We do have some staff members in different timezones and working, so I'm sure they'll get to it eventually. We monitor moderator activity as best as we are currently able and, like I've said before, handle inactivity if/when it comes up. Those kinds of things don't often escape our notice. There may be some issues with motivation - I've admitted to it myself - but, like I told Plasma above, sometimes a push is all you need. Just keep in mind that the majority of the moderation we do isn't apparent to you. Whether it's enough moderation is a different issue, but it's hard to discuss whether moderation is actually happening at all when it's not public.

We don't always do applications when we look to hire new staff, mind you. Sometimes we do them just to get an idea of interest and who's still around. I'll leave the rest of that conversation to Endeavour if he wishes to continue it, but I've already apologized for me and Val waiting too long.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #15
Living For Love
Live To Tell
 
Living For Love's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 22, 2013
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

I'll speak for me, I'm never invisible and I always answer to every PM, just a few days ago a user messaged me about something that was bothering them and we both worked it out pretty fast. I don't mean to sound pretentious, by I'm very easily accessible.

I perfectly understand what Emerald Dream said about being reactive and proactive, and I agree with it entirely. I must admit that lately I've been getting less and less proactive without actively checking my sections. I generally only check actively my sections if we're not getting enough reports, but I promise I'll change that. Nevertheless, I still don't think Puberty 101 is constantly full with inappropriate threads because we take care of it, it might take a while, but we'll always end up locking inappropriate threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I sent about 10 reports for that account now and still no PM, I think you may understand why I feel like I'm being completely ignored here. As @Emerald Dream said, I too feel like the staff just wait for reports and then deal with them, rather than trying to avoid the reports from happening. It's a bit sad that the staff seem to rely on normal members to find fake accounts, while I would think the staff have the most experience with these accounts and should be able to find them more easily than us.
Now you're just being rude, I'll admit we are a bit understaffed right now, but we do our job, so don't question our ability to effectively moderate VT because that's not what's happening here. The work that's being done is good work, it's just not enough because we are understaffed. Also, we do rely on members to find fake accounts and pedophiles, do you realise that, if someone sends you a PM asking to engage in sexual activities through a webcam and you choose to remain silent by not reporting, you are indirectly condoning it? You claim there are lots of pedophiles, yet I don't see lots of people reporting it. Admins can't keep checking everyone's PMs, so that's where you guys should come forward as well if you witness anything that goes against the rules.


Retired H&A Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #16
Leprous
Professional Spivak
 
Leprous's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 9, 2014
Gender: Male
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post


I asked about it; you were PMed, though not by me. At any rate, I've made it a point to look into the matter again and I'm starting to feel like this is going in circles. This discussion about how well or poorly I'm doing my job has ceased to be constructive. Criticize me all you want, but I think I've said my piece and more or less owned up to my shortcomings.
I am not asking for you admit to shortcomings, I am asking for solutions. I got a PM yes, one asking why I found the account suspicious, that wasn't after the first report though, it was after a bunch. This dicussion is not about you as a person, but about the staff as a whole. I haven't focused this on you alone so please don't make it look like I have been doing so.
@Living For Love

It's something that I experience personally, I feel like that is what is happening. I am not saying it's true. If I were to get PM's like that I would report them, but frankly I am not getting them. It's not because they aren't being reported that they aren't there though. I do have to admit that in puberty for boys the main problem lies with the explicit content, and not the fake accounts. The real problem is puberty for girls. As I said before, some people feel like they will be ignored anyway, and are afraid to report or PM the staff because of that. This is not a personal attack towards individual staff members, and I am sorry if it seems like that because I don't want this to turn into a fight, I want this to stay mature and calm, so I'm sorry if I gave you all the wrong impression in my posts.


In all of us lie secrets
hidden inside hollow hearts,
Heaven was built by heathens
there is no place for us
never was

Last edited by Leprous; June 10th, 2017 at 01:54 PM.
Leprous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:56 PM   #17
Elysium
Global Moderator
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I am not asking for you admit to shortcomings, I am asking for solutions. I got a PM yes, one asking why I found the account suspicious, that wasn't after the first report though, it was after a bunch. This dicussion is not about you as a person, but about the staff as a whole. I haven't focused this on you alone so please don't make it look like I have been doing so.
I didn't mean to zero in on you, sorry. It's just when I've made it clear that this particular responsibility has fallen solely to me, it's easy for me to feel like I'm the only one being criticized. As noted, we're discussing the benefits and possibilities of being more obviously involved with reported posts, but you were PMed, so please don't say you weren't. Perhaps it wasn't soon enough, but I'll file that as "under discussion."

So here's where we stand with constructive change:
  • More public presence in a non-staff capacity, most notably from invisible staff members
  • New moderators
  • More "basic moderation" on the part of the senior staff
  • Potentially PMing to acknowledge reported posts
  • Taking another look at your specific report
  • Taking another look at moderator (in)activity and reevaluating

Have I missed anything? Any disagreements or further suggestions? These are all discussion, by the way, not guarantees yet (outside of that which applies to how I personally conduct myself and my work, anyway).

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #18
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster
 
Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: Irrationality
Gender: Male
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

My biggest problem with the current system, is how vague and hidden most of the "behind the scenes" work is. The staff would make a small "we're working on it" or a "we'll think about it" when someone makes a suggestion, and then you hear absolutely nothing else about it. Y'all almost never give follow ups, and it makes you look like promise breakers when you promise to look into something or promise to work on something, only for months to go by with absolutely no word about it. This gives the impression that y'all don't follow up on anything, which makes people lose confidence in your work.

Why then, should I believe your word that the staff will discuss this issue, when the last 50 times the staff has "discussed an issue" we never got a follow-up to it? Will this just get silently swept into the corner like most other issues? People here want to see results, not seemingly empty promises of discussion.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #19
Elysium
Global Moderator
 
Elysium's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
My biggest problem with the current system, is how vague and hidden most of the "behind the scenes" work is. The staff would make a small "we're working on it" or a "we'll think about it" when someone makes a suggestion, and then you hear absolutely nothing else about it. Y'all almost never give follow ups, and it makes you look like promise breakers when you promise to look into something or promise to work on something, only for months to go by with absolutely no word about it. This gives the impression that y'all don't follow up on anything, which makes people lose confidence in your work.

Why then, should I believe your word that the staff will discuss this issue, when the last 50 times the staff has "discussed an issue" we never got a follow-up to it? Will this just get silently swept into the corner like most other issues? People here want to see results, not seemingly empty promises of discussion.
Well, when was the last time we promised we'd discuss something and didn't get back to you? The Religion & Philosophy forum? I'll give you an update if you want. Some things - bigger changes - require more work than just a matter of opinion. It's also hard to give certain follow ups without giving away more information than you need to have, but I'll certainly try.

I'm also very strict that everyone pitch in before making any changes and that we're all on board before anything happens, which extends discussions.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #20
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster
 
Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: Irrationality
Gender: Male
Default Re: Questions to the Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Well, when was the last time we promised we'd discuss something and didn't get back to you? The Religion & Philosophy forum? I'll give you an update if you want. Some things - bigger changes - require more work than just a matter of opinion. It's also hard to give certain follow ups without giving away more information than you need to have, but I'll certainly try.

I'm also very strict that everyone pitch in before making any changes and that we're all on board before anything happens, which extends discussions.
Perhaps I need to rephrase my concerns. Right now, because the staff is so secretive and slow, it gives the impression that they don't do anything. The "behind the scenes" defense has become so common to the point of parody.

I am just suggestin for the staff to regularly update the people on current projects. The VT staff should be transparent, and only updating us on a "need to know" basis is the exact opposite of that. You are a teen forum, not a world government after all. Perhaps a bi-weekly update, so people can see that the staff is actually working on stuff, instead of twiddling their thumbs.

Anyhow, I was mainly aiming this conversation towards the absent admin, since by your own admission you can't do anything about this by yourself.

Last edited by Voice_Of_Unreason; June 10th, 2017 at 04:41 PM.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org