Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old May 24th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Genegerbread

Genegerbread's Forum Picture

Name: Gene
Default Discord

Hey!

So I'm aware we already have a functioning chat room, but I thought it'd be cool to expand and create a Discord chat room.

For those who don't know, Discord is an application that is accessible for free from your iPhone, Android, Apple computer or PC. Discord has many features that are similar to Skype, but they're much better and it has a much more intriguing interface than Skype does.

Discord allows you to add friends while being able to create or be a part of channel-based groups. You're able to make text channels for each group based on the topic, and you can also make voice channels for specified topics.

You can create different ranks and give each rank a different color. It'd be super easy to differentiate staff members and other users. Their rank can come with a color and can be displayed on the right-hand side of the application, or there can be no visual difference. You can add and remove permissions from these ranks, too.

You can add tons of different bots. Some bots welcome players and play music. Others can search Pokemon using Google and become your very own Dungeons and Dragons dungeon master. You can personalize messages to make it your very own, too.

Discord is a reliable interface that would allow quick conversation between members of the forum. If you were in lunch, you could pull up Discord on your phone and check out what everyone on the group chat is talking about, and you could even ask questions!

If you'd like, I can make a Discord and then pass on the permissions to the moderators and administrators, then having them demote me to my rank. What do you guys think?

http://discordapp.com is the application download, or you can search it up on your application store.

15 // NY
I like WoW and tons of other things!
Genegerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #2
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Default Re: Discord

If you use Discord via PC, laptop or tablet, you don't necessarily have to install the Discord app. The Discord web-chat can be used by your web browser.

Depending on the used browser some Discord features may not be avaible. But all the usual features of a text chat work quite well.

And you must be aware, without a new account, a chat can't be used on Discord.

Therefore, I think, as cool as Discord is, it is not a substitute for a chat which is integrated into a forum, so it can be used immediately without a second registration.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

I love Discord and it's occurred to me before to use it for VT. It's an option under discussion, since it would need to be so heavily moderated. I wouldn't hold your breath, though. It'd be a complicated process to get something to suit our needs (I am so not a tech person and Discord bots are beyond me).

But for right now, please keep our rules about contact information in mind. I know Discord isn't specifically mentioned in the FAQ, but there's no reason why it would be an exception.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #4
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

Discord is a nice chat system, and of the popular messaging systems, it is the one most suited for our uses. And while I have not ever worked on a Discord system, I hear they are relatively easy to create and maintain. And moderation is pretty easy on Discord.

The only problem I see with it, as was already pointed out, is that it can't be integrated into the forum. It requires a separate registration and the usage of a separate site from VT. I don't believe that you could integrate it to the degree we can with other chat systems. So while I think Discord is great for an independent chat group, it is not that good for forum chat.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote