Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 22nd, 2017, 10:35 AM   #1
MissQuestionMark

MissQuestionMark's Forum Picture

Default Explain what dota is

Okay, so some friends were explaining dota to me and telling me about all the words and game types. All the words kept making me giggle like ganking, junglers, crips and meepo xD

So I tried streaming a game of twitch but I still don't understand it. What do you do?
MissQuestionMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #2
Rendez-Vous

Rendez-Vous's Forum Picture

Name: Oleg
Default Re: Explain what dota is

don't try dota, I beg you
there is no exit from it, I've spent there around 1500 hours in the last 3 years and believe me, this game is not worth spending time there.
Rendez-Vous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #3
AzuPazu

AzuPazu's Forum Picture

Name: Azu
Default Re: Explain what dota is

I'm more of LoL player but since they're both MOBAs and since I have played Dota before I'll try to explain it in most MOBAs perspectives.

The main goal is to destroy the enemy's base. Starting every game you get to chose your champion/hero that you'll control throughout the game. Your champion will have 3 basic skills to its disposal and an ultimate. Those you'll have to use to fight your opponent and farm minions / creeps (farming is getting the last blowing hit on a minion/ creep). A small side note: usually your team consists of five members (including you) and the same for the enemy.

In game you'll find minions/creeps spawning from your base who will make their way towards the enemy base by following a certain path that are guarded by towers. Most maps -including Dota's maps- have a 3 lane basics and a jungle. Depending on your role you'll have to pick your lane.

Bottom lane will be preferred for ADCs and Supports, Mid lane for APCs and Assassins Top lane for Tanks and the Jungle will be used for Junglers who indeed come and help you out by ganking (sneak attack on the enemy get the kill so you can push lanes, you get the drill).
To get the advantage of strength, or however you want to call it, over the enemy, you're required to retrieve more gold which is by farming, getting kills or getting objectives. The acquired gold you can exchange for items (which in Dota will be delivered by an annoying little donkey). If you're thinking of actually playing the game, I suggest hoping you have a good team and follow their moves. When to get objectives will become obvious by playing. Not to mention you're jungler is the key element in getting those.
Another side note: there's a max in game level, also this wil be achieved by farming more and faster than the other.

I have a feeling I haven't covered everything, but if you have questions do ask. Sorry if this seems super complicated, I feel like it does. I'm not in the best in this ;;.

AzuPazu is offline   Reply With Quote