Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 28th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #1
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut
Default How open are you about your disorders-mental illnesses??

I have been diagnosed with bipolar at quite young age. It also runs in my family and stuff.
I have learnt to deal with my disorder and try not to let it take too much effect on my daily life.

Here's my question. How open are you about your disorder/illness...do you openly talk about it or do you try to hide it from your friends, people at school etc.

For me a few really close friends and some teachers at school know about it otherwise I don't really want people to know about it. I don't want them to think I'm crazy or whatever. I mean most people don't really know about those disorders and things and I don't want them to think I'm a freak or something.

I have had quite a few negative reactions when I told people so maybe that's why I try to hide it now.

But I'd be intersted how others feel about this and how open they are about it.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Body odah Man
VT Lover

Body odah Man's Forum Picture

Default Re: How open are you about your disorders-mental illnesses??

I want to be open, but being open either results in fear, hatred or scorn (thanks mom).
I just keep it inside and ignore the anger or hurt people emotionally

Just a chilling teen that hates baths, collects Yugioh cards and loves Runescape
Body odah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #3
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

We know each other pretty good I believe, so think it's no surprise that I'm pretty open about myself with most people to talk about stuff. So long as it has realistic, positive meaning to someone. And I'm open to talk here to if you like

What I'll say about hiding stuff though, just my thoughts.....think most people are pretty smart about this kinda stuff. And if they don't know, but have a real interest/concern for someone, they'll learn about it some how. But also, people thinking your crazy and stuff, that's only because they don't understand what is up with you, and have a hard time identifying with someone who has a mental illness or disorder. But if they understand about it, they will be able to understand you better.

So if you open up, just a little, not the whole world or anything, to a few people who you might like and or trust, do for it, you might be surprised.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Tim987

I only have like 3 people that know my only friend my sister and an aquaitence that knos about my health because i find it so hard talk to people about it and most don't understand what it id

Oh deary me sorry
Tim987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body odah Man View Post
I want to be open, but being open either results in fear, hatred or scorn (thanks mom).
I just keep it inside and ignore the anger or hurt people emotionally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim987 View Post
I only have like 3 people that know my only friend my sister and an aquaitence that knos about my health because i find it so hard talk to people about it and most don't understand what it id
I feel exactly the same.
My therapist told me to be open and explain my illness to the people around me they will supporting and this would be helpful for me blah blah...

However truth is people either don't care( which is still the best reaction ) think that I'm a drama queen cuz everyone feels like that sometimes so why with me it's an illness...or they think I'm a total freak.

So I try to act "normal" as much as i can which puts a lot of pressure on me.
Old June 1st, 2016, 08:43 PM   #6
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbeau View Post
I feel exactly the same.
My therapist told me to be open and explain my illness to the people around me they will supporting and this would be helpful for me blah blah...

However truth is people either don't care( which is still the best reaction ) think that I'm a drama queen cuz everyone feels like that sometimes so why with me it's an illness...or they think I'm a total freak.

I no, I no, it does suck
But also, at some point, we just needa say, fuck making them happy with us trying to act "normal" and just be who we are. And let the chips fall where they may. I know that ain't easy, believe me.

I just don't know any other way tbh
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:51 PM   #7
Body odah Man
VT Lover

Body odah Man's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbeau View Post
I feel exactly the same.

Doesn't it suck, when you try to explain things and they give u that look that says: "you're full of shit?" I hate that look. And yeah, you're right about people displaying a great lack of understanding. It's pretty sad. I won't judge u about it though, your illness.

Just a chilling teen that hates baths, collects Yugioh cards and loves Runescape
Body odah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:52 AM   #8
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

And we shouldn't jussi should we?
I mean, yeah, we're all different, no 2 people are the same, I think it makes Life, the world, a lot more interesting.
Not sure if your a believer in God or not, bur were taught were all made in the image of God.
Also, every characteristic, Gene, symptom, disease, illness, disorder, whatbever thing in life you wana talk about, we all have it to some degree. The question that remains is how much. The people with "the extreme" outliers or anything outside the "norm" has some sort of a label, name or diagnose associated with it.

So what is normal?
Makes having some disorder or illness seem a little less abnormal, and may be a bit easier to talk about and accept possibly?
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:40 AM   #9
Abyssal Echo
Lone Wolf

Abyssal Echo's Forum Picture

I'm pretty open, if fact some tell me I'm too open. I'd rather be up front with people that way I know where I stand with them.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain
Abyssal Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:37 AM   #10
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssal Echo View Post
I'm pretty open, if fact some tell me I'm too open. I'd rather be up front with people that way I know where I stand with them.
Yeah, from what I've learned from you you are. Do you find it easier to make friends etc that way. I mean yeah you know where they stand, but do they turn their backs, or at least give you a chance so to speak?
Old June 2nd, 2016, 01:45 PM   #11
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie

I've gotten more open about my mental health over the last couple of years. Before, only my closest friends and family knew about it.

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 05:08 PM   #12
Abyssal Echo
Lone Wolf

Abyssal Echo's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJreversed View Post
Yeah, from what I've learned from you you are. Do you find it easier to make friends etc that way. I mean yeah you know where they stand, but do they turn their backs, or at least give you a chance so to speak?
I make friends pretty easily keeping them is a problem. Most people tell me they don't have a problem with me being Bi Polar. There's a difference between not having a problem with something and actually being around and dealing with the person that has it. Most of the time I'm pretty laid back and easy to get along with sometimes I'm a moody bitch. <---- this is why I tell people up front that I have Bi Polar. I let them make the decision if want to get to know me or not. I look at it this way either they can deal with it (which is great) or they can't... which is fine too.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain
Abyssal Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #13
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssal Echo View Post
I make friends pretty easily keeping them is a problem. Most people tell me they don't have a problem with me being Bi Polar. There's a difference between not having a problem with something and actually being around and dealing with the person that has it. Most of the time I'm pretty laid back and easy to get along with sometimes I'm a moody bitch. <---- this is why I tell people up front that I have Bi Polar. I let them make the decision if want to get to know me or not. I look at it this way either they can deal with it (which is great) or they can't... which is fine too.
That is exactly a huge problem for me, too.
Making friends was always easy and if I told them about having bipolar and all they said it's okay but being then really able to deal with my mood swings and the way I sometimes act was then always a different thing.
Cuz even if you know about these things it is hard to deal with them.

So usually I have the same effect if I don't talk about my being Bi Polar and the friendship just going to hell one day cuz they feel I'm a moody asshole.
That at least spares me them telling everyone afterwards I'm a crazy freak.
Old June 11th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #14
TheWaltsu

Name: Valtteri

I openly talk about my asperger's syndrome... in Internet. IRL you need to earn my trust first, then i start talking about personal things like this.
TheWaltsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #15
Novocaine9

I'm pretty open about it when I know there's someone struggling with the same things. Other than that, I try to hide it from family and friends.
Novocaine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #16
Typhlosion
Fire-type Metalhead

Typhlosion's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

No. The moment I open up, people think totally differently of me. Not just as something about me, but changes their while view. I don't risk it. VT, my family, my girlfriend, and maybe 2-3 people know. That's it and, honestly, I'm fine with that. Heck, it took me a long while to be more open to emotions in my life, let alone my issues.

Formerly at your service! ^^
Ex-GD Mod

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie
Typhlosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 02:22 AM   #17
Cephalon_Ordis

Name: Kyle

I only tell close friends about my Aspergers and hope they understand.

"I am Ordis, Ship Cephalon. I serve the Operator. I make new memories."

13 || Questioning Myself || Autistic
Cephalon_Ordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #18
Danieldv77

I usually don't tell anyone in real life, as people immediately start to assume that they need to treat me differently because of it. So far, only one of my close friends even knows I have aspergers.
Danieldv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #19
AdamDS

AdamDS's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

I try and keep my Depression and Anxiety a secret from most people in real life. I hide it from my family especially. I've only told one person that I physically know and that is my friend, the rest have been people I've met online.
AdamDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #20
auser_name
Member+

Would depression and paranoia count as a mental illness?
auser_name is offline   Reply With Quote